Patrick Air Force Base BCD396XT vs Pro-96

Status
Not open for further replies.
I notice that Patrick Air Force Base (PAFB), near Melbourne Florida, uses what appears to be a scrambling feature for thier Security Net dispatch. The Pro-96 recieves the scrambled transmission, but the BCD396XT ignores it. I have no need to listen to a scrambled transmission, if that is what it is. It is possible that the BCD396XT has a setting to ignore the transmission. If anyone has any input or have exprieanced this as well, feel free to respond.

Just for the record, the BCD396XT packs a punch in audio output for the speaker being so small. Thank you Uniden!

SherwoodPolice

Last edited:

KD4UXQ

I notice that Patrick Air Force Base (PAFB), near Melbourne Florida, uses what appears to be a scrambling feature for thier Security Net dispatch. The Pro-96 recieves the scrambled transmission, but the BCD396XT ignores it. I have no need to listen to a scrambled transmission, if that is what it is. It is possible that the BCD396XT has a setting to ignore the transmission. If anyone has any input or have exprieanced this as well, feel free to respond.

Just for the record, the BCD396XT packs a punch in audio output for the speaker being so small. Thank you Uniden!

SherwoodPolice

I imagine it is an encrypted transmission. Is there ENC on the display of the XT when it is heard on the Pro-96? Even the BCD396T muted the audio of the encrypted signals and displayed ENC on the LCD display. Does your XT resume scan when it encounters encrytption? I just upgraded from the BCD396T to the XT and I have not encountered an ecrypted transmission to see what the XT does yet. The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigations uses both plain text and encryption on the same channels and it was always annoying that the BCD396T would lock on an encrypted transmission and not resume scan. Locking out the channel would mean I would miss their transmissions in the clear and they shared the channels with the State Wildlife officers who never encrypted and I enjoyed listening to them observe hunters, but I have not encountered an encrypted transmission yet on my XT to see what it does. I hope it resumes scan. This is one item folks wanted Uniden to change.

No, there is not an ENC on the display when the transmission is not heard on the XT but is heard on the Pro-96. I believe the transmission I am hearing on the Pro-96 is some type of scrambled audio. It sounds like a bad cell phone call. Weird. The scanner stops on PAFB Security during the "scrambled transmission (that is heard on the Pro-96), then continues to scan after the transmission ends.Thanks for responding KD4UXQ

KD4UXQ

OK, apparently not an encryption standard or digital format the scanner recognizes then. As I think the BCD396XT is supposed to display ENC when it does recognize encryption like the T did.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.