Patrol Car Radio ID Numbers

humblegeo

Premium Subscriber
Does Radioreference list all the Patrol Car Radio ID Numbers associated with a specific Talk Group. If not then is this information public domain and maybe can be found another way? EXAMPLE Conversation: 20230115_085834North_East_Simulcast_Huffman_E_Gate_Rd__1_mi_E_FM_2100_TRAFFIC__TO_711_FROM_1235542. Wondering if I can identify Patrol Car Number with a specific Patrol Car Radio ID.

711 is dispatch and 1235542 is Patrol Car Radio ID# (Harris County Constable Precinct 1 "HCC04 Dispatch1" Harris County Texas.

I think in the example (1235542) the first 5 numbers 12355 is the Unique DB ID: for the Tower that was used for the conversation? and the last 2 numbers (42) are maybe the Radio ID or Patrol Car ID?? Simulcast System with multiple Towers used.

Appreciate it.

Last edited:

ecps92

some folks have build RID Tables into the Wiki but YMMV as radios maybe assigned on a shift basis, some might be mobiles and in a specific car

100% not a DB function tho...
Does Radioreference list all the Patrol Car Radio ID Numbers associated with a specific Talk Group. If not then is this information public domain and maybe can be found another way? EXAMPLE Conversation: 20230115_085834North_East_Simulcast_Huffman_E_Gate_Rd__1_mi_E_FM_2100_TRAFFIC__TO_711_FROM_1235542. Wondering if I can identify Patrol Car Number with a specific Patrol Car Radio ID.

711 is dispatch and 1235542 is Patrol Car Radio ID# (Harris County Constable Precinct 1 "HCC04 Dispatch1" Harris County Texas.

I think in the example (1235542) the first 5 numbers 12355 is the Unique DB ID: for the Tower that was used for the conversation? and the last 2 numbers (42) are maybe the Radio ID or Patrol Car ID?? Simulcast System with multiple Towers used.

Appreciate it.

lands818

Premium Subscriber
As ecps92 mentioned, there are some RID tables members have built in the Wiki. Personally this is a never ending rainy day project for me with the systems I monitor. The challenge of figuring out if an agency has assigned radios/units or are ’pool’ resources and even if the individual is on their mobile or portable is something I personally like chasing as well as the satisfaction of compiling my own list—it works for me! Factor in promotions, new hires, retirements, transfers, replacement radios (meaning a new radio call now associated with a RID in most every one of these actions) and you can see why even a 100% accurate list today can change rapidly.

YMMV, but my suggestion would be to make RID/unit association a personal project and enjoy the hunt!

hill

Premium Subscriber
It been my experience that police radio ids are hard to track with them switching portables a lot.

Fire mobile are easier. But you always can't tell when a unit is using a reserve piece. I tagged fire units and only later did find out they were using a reserve without seeing it. Plus new replacements equipment.

Fire portables on each apparatus are next impossible to track, since they seam to end up in a different unit.

About the only ids that stay constant on the system I monitor the most is the dispatchers . They only change if working from the backup center.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Radio ids don't change when using different towers. The id is on the radio. In my are we use 7 digit ids, but some areas use more numbers

The ids in my state are coordinated threwout the state with each county, plus the state agencies all getting assigned id blocks.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Does Radioreference list all the Patrol Car Radio ID Numbers associated with a specific Talk Group. If not then is this information public domain and maybe can be found another way?

The information is not public, as it is exempt under law enforcement reasons of the FOIA. But as @ecps92 noted many people do take the time to create their own lists based on monitoring of systems. I believe the RR Wiki does not allow specific personal identifying information, it does allow generic information though (example: Car 123 is unit xyz, Officer Justice would not be allowed, but Car 123 Acme City Police North District would be allowed). Mapping out the radio IDs is a great way to find users of new or encrypted talkgroups.

It been my experience that police radio ids are hard to track with them switching portables a lot.

As @hill points out, especially in smaller cities/counties the units may use different vehicles on each shift, thus the mobile radio ID would change, if they aren't assigned their own radio the handhelds may change as well.

In my city it is just the opposite of what is described above, EMS changes daily, fire is very hard to nail down, but police are fairly consistent. Also our radio IDs for the county system match the radio IDs used on our statewide system, with the first two or three numbers (of the six or seven digit ID) indicate the county, city, or agency type. Our state system radio IDs have been logged in the RR Wiki for years and remain consistent.

hill

Premium Subscriber
I am in a large very busy county for public safety and police still change radios with ids that makes it impossible to track

I only id fire department mobile radio ids. I know the mobile radio that starts with 224 and 4 other numbers. The portables radio ids start off with 225 with four other numbers.

Kentc

Premium Subscriber

Fire mobile are easier. But you always can't tell when a unit is using a reserve piece. I tagged fire units and only later did find out they were using a reserve without seeing it. Plus new replacements equipment.

Fire portables on each apparatus are next impossible to track, since they seam to end up in a different unit.

About the only ids that stay constant on the system I monitor the most is the dispatchers . They only change if working from the backup center.
Hill, regarding your comment "I tagged fire units" I'm curious if you did this in the scanner (or Sentinel et al) or was there a way to do that for the RRDB? That would be some wicked, cool functionality. Thank you!

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Does Radioreference list all the Patrol Car Radio ID Numbers associated with a specific Talk Group. If not then is this information public domain and maybe can be found another way?

That information is not public domain.

RadioReference does not include radio IDs as part of the database but some members have created lists in the Wiki. In the case of law enforcement and other sensitive occupations, any such information must be limited to the agency name only. No pesonally identifiable information is allowed. From the Database Administrator Handbook:

"IDs for law enforcement and other sensitive occupations such as federal agencies shall contain only the agency name/abbreviation and the radio ID (or a portion of it). Personally identifiable information such as (but not limited to) names, badge numbers, car numbers, beat/precinct numbers or patrol districts shall not be shown. This also applies to portable radios assigned to a specific individual in other services."

a417

Hill, regarding your comment "I tagged fire units" I'm curious if you did this in the scanner (or Sentinel et al)
Untitled.png
...go to town!

I only do dispatch consoles, really unique units, and friends of mine.

or was there a way to do that for the RRDB? That would be some wicked, cool functionality. Thank you!
many, many people disagree...esp. people above your paygrade.

That information is not public domain.

RadioReference does not include radio IDs as part of the database but some members have created lists in the Wiki. In the case of law enforcement and other sensitive occupations, any such information must be limited to the agency name only. No pesonally identifiable information is allowed. From the Database Administrator Handbook:

"IDs for law enforcement and other sensitive occupations such as federal agencies shall contain only the agency name/abbreviation and the radio ID (or a portion of it). Personally identifiable information such as (but not limited to) names, badge numbers, car numbers, beat/precinct numbers or patrol districts shall not be shown. This also applies to portable radios assigned to a specific individual in other services."

Last edited:

Kentc

Premium Subscriber
View attachment 148446
...go to town!

I only do dispatch consoles, really unique units, and friends of mine.

many, many people disagree...esp. people above your paygrade.
I didn't know the RRDB was so sensitive about feedback. I just said I thought it'd be cool. I get feedback about software all the time. Some of it's good and some of it's bad. I don't dump on the bad ideas. I just explain why it doesn't do x.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I didn't know the RRDB was so sensitive about feedback. I just said I thought it'd be cool. I get feedback about software all the time. Some of it's good and some of it's bad. I don't dump on the bad ideas. I just explain why it doesn't do x.

I don't see anyone dumping on you for your comments, they are just pointing out RR's policy related to RIDs. In today's environment, what you see as cool might be a tool for a stalker or someone out to harm a public safety officer.

hill

Premium Subscriber
I tagged the ids in the scanner software, but it wasn't a uniden scanner.

Haven't tagged an ids in Unication G4 or G5.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I didn't take any comments as being negative.

Rather, trying to catalog radio IDs is a very daunting and time consuming project to set up. Then maintaining them is also an uphill hike. Radios go missing, get crushed, dropped in water and replaced.

I had a good set of radio IDs for the fire service locally, but then they completely overhauled the "system" with no rhyme or reason. I'd probably have better luck getting the Fort Knox combination than the latest radio IDs.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
I didn't take any comments as being negative.

Rather, trying to catalog radio IDs is a very daunting and time consuming project to set up. Then maintaining them is also an uphill hike. Radios go missing, get crushed, dropped in water and replaced.

I had a good set of radio IDs for the fire service locally, but then they completely overhauled the "system" with no rhyme or reason. I'd probably have better luck getting the Fort Knox combination than the latest radio IDs.
Start from scratch - might have better luck with a clean slate