Patrolman pro-9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any experence with this radio? I was given one and it appears to work for I can pick up NNOA weather, other than that I'm lost. I had asked before if it needed crystals and was told no but on the back there's a compartment for ESS crystals. Any help would be appericated.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Looks a bit like one I had approx 1970. I think the way it went was.....
You can tune the radio without crystals, but, if you did have crystals for specific frequencies (2, I think) you could switch to that channel in the selector and then tune the radio dial as close as possible to that and receive without having to fine tune.
Nice radio, build like a tank, big, heavy. I had this right before I saw my first scanner.
Sold this.

SAR923

I has one of those. It was a normal VHF-Hi crystal controlled scanner with seven crystal postions and the eighth was a tunable VFO that covered the 148 to 174 MHz band. If you want to pick up anything other than using the tunable section, you need the correct crystals. Assuming that VHF-Hi is your band of interest, you can still buy crytals on the net for about $5 each. The scanner was incredibly sensitive for its day but it's single conversion and the intermod was unreal. The tuneable section was a great idea but it drifted horribly after about two minutes and required constant retuning. The bulbs for the channels positions also had a nasty habit of burning out regularly and they were a bear to replace. It's an interesting piece of the history of scanner evolution but I wouldn't use one today.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I believe it is dual conversion VHF

I believe that the PRO-9 is similar to 2 scanners I still run - the PRO-10 & PRO-77. My scanners are dual conversion for VHF, and I'd be VERY surprised if the PRO-9 is truly dual conversion. Are you sure it is?

Bottom line, the PRO-9 "needs" crystals.

SAR923

gmclam said:
I believe that the PRO-9 is similar to 2 scanners I still run - the PRO-10 & PRO-77. My scanners are dual conversion for VHF, and I'd be VERY surprised if the PRO-9 is truly dual conversion. Are you sure it is?

Bottom line, the PRO-9 "needs" crystals.

I think you meant to say that you'd be surprised if the Pro 9 wasn't dual conversion. This is just my memory from about 35 years ago that it was single conversion but I would defer to you knowledge. I know it had terrible intermod problems in the LA basin, much more so than any other RS scanner I owned when I lived there. It may also have just been a front end that was too wide open. As I said, the sensitivity was amazing. I would be out railfaning with a group of friends and the Pro 9 would hear a train talking miles before their Regency's would even break squelch. The tuneable VFO was a brilliant idea for its time but it was poorly executed in terms of drift. That and the chanel indicator lights constantly burning out drove me nuts. But, strangely enough, I still remember it fondly and would probably pick one up at a flea market if one showed up.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-9

SAR2401 said:
I think you meant to say that you'd be surprised if the Pro 9 wasn't dual conversion.
Correct. Thank you.

This is just my memory from about 35 years ago that it was single conversion but I would defer to you knowledge. I know it had terrible intermod problems in the LA basin, much more so than any other RS scanner I owned when I lived there. It may also have just been a front end that was too wide open. As I said, the sensitivity was amazing.
The thing with every receiver, including those made today, is that the frequencies of birdies, intermod, images and so forth are typically different. So the problem may not have been RS vs Regency vs BearCat, but issues with some specific frequency near you. I continue to use my early RS scanners and use them to "benchmark" other scanners I acquire. The biggest issue is that they don't receive 800 MHz, and when my county moved there I had to get something to pick them up.

The tuneable VFO was a brilliant idea for its time but it was poorly executed in terms of drift.
Consider the state of circuitry back when it was designed & produced and it truly is a great device. I haven't looked at the design, but it might be possible to just swap out components with modern hgher quality, higher tolerance components and resolve those type of issues.

That and the chanel indicator lights constantly burning out drove me nuts. But, strangely enough, I still remember it fondly and would probably pick one up at a flea market if one showed up.
Yeah know, I never had an incadescent light burn out on me. It seems they were running them quite undervoltage. But then soon after I purchased my PRO-10 I modified to 16 channels using LEDs. Then later modified all of these scanners (I have 4 of them) to digital displays with CPUs. I remember there were similar scanners sold each with a unique feature; whether it be the VFO or a true priority channel/function or something else.

Attachments

• PRO77 03_.jpg
    PRO77 03_.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 706

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-9

Thank you Michael for sending me the manual. I forgot that these old user's manuals have both block diagrams and schematics in them.

The PRO-9 is clearly built into the same case as my scanners, but it is clearly an earlier model. The specifications seem to "brag" about the receiver's ability to cover an 8 MHz range of the spectrum. That's pretty funny since we have people these days who don't understand why there are "gaps" in our scanners that otherwise cover 25-1300 MHz.

I stand corrected. This is clearly a single conversion receiver. They convert only to 10.7 MHz in this one, as it has no 455 kHz stage which my scanners have. WOW.

SAR923

GM, thanks for confirming my old brain isn't completely fossilized. :) I was almost positive that it was single conversion because I replaced it with a PRO-10, that was dual conversion, and the reduction of intermod and birdies was amazing. I think the PRO-9 was single conversion precisely because of that tunable VFO. I don't think they had the technology available to make a combination receiver like that in dual conversion.

The incandescent bulbs in the PRO-9 were definitely not being run under voltage. They were blindingly bright at night, so much so that I made a cardboard hood for it when it was installed in my 1970 Toyota Corolla (how's that for a trip in the wayback machine :) ) so I wouldn't get reflections from the indicator lights on the windshield. The replacement bulbs were 12 volts and the voltage at the terminals was also 12 volts.

I remember now that the center frequency on that thing was 157 MHz with rated sensitivity from 153 MZ to 161 MHZ. It was the only scanner out at the time that had really good sensitivity in the railroad bands and the VFO meant you could tune across the entire 148 to 174 MHz range with good sensitivity over the whole range. It was kind of the first scanner with V folders. If you were out of town, you just twirled the dial back and forth until you found something. :)

I don't know if replacing any of the VFO components would result in more stability. The dial wasn't very well calibrated so you always had to guess within about 1 MHz if you were close to the right frequency and then wait for transmission and tune it in. The selectivity was such that being within about 1 MHz meant you'd be able to hear the transmission. That was another downside. If you were in any RF rich areas, you heard a lot more on the VFO section than you wanted to. Still, it was an interesting idea but pretty much a failure, since RS never produced another scanner like it again.

Last edited:

Shortwavewave

NYRHKY94 said:
I have the manual for the Pro-9 in .pdf format if you are interested. Just shoot me a PM and I will e-mail to you.

I have the Patrolman CB-60 I just picked up at a pawnshop for 10bux, I dont think it has any crystles and is just VFO, but man it sounds great, looks much like your avatar NYRHKY94, although the knobs are switched

Status
Not open for further replies.