Paul Opitz passes away at age 59 after his battle with cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyager

I just received word that Paul Opitz (UPMan) passed away Saturday from his
long battle with cancer. He was surrounded by family when he passed.

That is all the news I have at this time.

To say he will be missed is an understatement.

omlbed

Premium Subscriber
Paul brought so very much to the scanning hobby.

Rest In Peace Paul. You made such a huge impact on this hobby! I wish you clear comms with no encryption in Paradise.

RIP Paul, my thoughts and prayers go out to your friends and family during this difficult time, thank you for your commitment to the scanner radio hobby you will be sorely missed

garys

Premium Subscriber
Very, very sad news. I never met Paul, but felt in some ways that he was a friend. He was always upbeat and polite on the forums.

Voyager

He was even better in person. I met him twice - once when he first took the job as Project Manager at Uniden (that would have been about 15 years ago or so at the Dayton Hamvention) and once again last May when he had just found out about the latest requirement for Surgery. Even through that he had a spirit that was admirable. He had to wear a handkerchief over his breathing tube (think around his neck), but I told him he was going to start a fashion trend. He had just found that he was going to lose what was left of his voice but he was determined to beat it and his sense of humor was incredible. I guess God needed a good project manager for something.

Status
Not open for further replies.