Paul, this needs to be looked into...

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I apologize for beating the dead horse, but it does seem unusual that the only radio I have a problem programming through Parallels on my Macs are the 436 and 536. I have used my Uniden 396T, my Pro 197, my Icom ID31 and ID51, my Alinco G29T, my Yaesu VX6, my Yaesu FT817, my Motorola MTS2000 and XTS3000(Motorola, the most finicky radios in creation). Why is there a problem with the 436/536? Paul, seriously...someone in the software and firmware department really needs to figure this out. Thanks!

mrkelso

Have you updated to the latest version of Parallels? I noticed that once you connect the device to parallels it takes up to one minute before the device becomes available. I have been using Parallels for some time now with both the 436 and 536 with minimal problems as long as i do things slowly. The folks at Parallels told me that it looks like a Uniden problem. I am running my 15x's my 996T's and my 996XT's all on parallels with zero problems and immediate connections. I am of the opinion that it is poor programming of the drivers for the 436 and 536.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
It will work once. If I connect a second time down the road, nothing. It is extremely frustrating. I'm glad I kept an older Toshiba laptop, but if I travel I take a Macbook with me.

JamesO

Seems like part of the difference MAY?? be the fact the HP scanners go into the Mass Storage or Serial prompt, then the user needs to "choose" what do do next, whereas the non HP scanner go directly to the Mass Storage/Programming mode as soon as the programming cable is connected to the USB interface.

Might be a driver or timing/timeout issue??

Just a thought as I do not use Mac or Parallel's.

durangoGreg

It must be something specific to the 436 & 536 radios because the Home Patrol-1 works fine with Parallels through the USB port.

Only the new radios have the issue with Parallels.

Has anyone tried VMWare to see if the x36 radios work with that virtual environment?

durangoGreg

It will work once. If I connect a second time down the road, nothing. It is extremely frustrating. I'm glad I kept an older Toshiba laptop, but if I travel I take a Macbook with me.

I feel your pain.

I now never connect my 536 to Parallels directly. Instead I remove the MicroSD card and use a card reader with Parallels. Sentinel plays well with the card reader and can do everything that a direct connection to the radio can do.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I feel your pain.

I now never connect my 536 to Parallels directly. Instead I remove the MicroSD card and use a card reader with Parallels. Sentinel plays well with the card reader and can do everything that a direct connection to the radio can do.

Agreed. The bad thing here is taking the card out of the 436 with the flimsy card holder

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Just curious...why was this moved to the Tavern? This is an issue I feel needs to be addressed! This is a bug with Parallels.

sfd119

I'm guessing because the Sentinal software is not supported on any other OS besides Windows. Your bug with Parallels isn't a Uniden issue.

wk5h

Premium Subscriber
It must be something specific to the 436 & 536 radios because the Home Patrol-1 works fine with Parallels through the USB port.

Only the new radios have the issue with Parallels.

Has anyone tried VMWare to see if the x36 radios work with that virtual environment?

I can confirm that running Sentinel in Windows7 64bit inside a virtual machine with VMWare Fusion works like a champ. In fact, I've had MORE problems running Sentinel on a PC, natively running windows.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Sfd if this were true why does every other radio tolerate windows on parallels? Even my 396 works. Even my Motorola radios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sfd119

Sfd if this were true why does every other radio tolerate windows on parallels? Even my 396 works. Even my Motorola radios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably because every other radio including Motorolas don't have an SD Card in the equation.

The fact is, Sentinal is supported only on Windows.

durangoGreg

Parallels is running Windows. You must buy a copy of genuine windows to install in the virtual machine. I think most people get confused because they think this is emulation. It is not. It is virtualization. Virtualization can run in OS X, Windows, Unix, etc. In fact you can run Windows XP, and Windows 7, inside Windows 8 using VMWare on a PC.

Also Sentinel works fine. The issue is with the USB Port hardware or firmware and a conflict with Parallels. Parallels works fine with almost every device regardless of whether it has an SD Card. However I doubt Uniden will address this issue as it is only a problem when running Windows in a virtual machine. Also wk5h says that the USB Port issue is not a problem in VMWare so the issue maybe a 50/50 Uniden/Parallels thing.

sfd119

Parallels is running Windows. You must buy a copy of genuine windows to install in the virtual machine. I think most people get confused because they think this is emulation. It is not. It is virtualization. Virtualization can run in OS X, Windows, Unix, etc. In fact you can run Windows XP, and Windows 7, inside Windows 8 using VMWare on a PC.

Also Sentinel works fine. The issue is with the USB Port hardware or firmware and a conflict with Parallels. Parallels works fine with almost every device regardless of whether it has an SD Card. However I doubt Uniden will address this issue as it is only a problem when running Windows in a virtual machine. Also wk5h says that the USB Port issue is not a problem in VMWare so the issue maybe a 50/50 Uniden/Parallels thing.

I'm an IT Director with extensive experience with VMWare servers, thin clients, etc. I utilize VMWare for running XP to run old CPS stuff on my laptop. I know running a VM is a true "Windows" experience, but you still have the underlying hardware that can cause issues.

The issue here is not Uniden's problem. They have wrote the program to work with Windows and it does that. When you try to use it in a VM with the SD Card in a Mac host, there's a chance you'll have problems and it looks like you are.

I'm assuming that's why this thread was moved to the Tavern.

durangoGreg

I'm an IT Director with extensive experience with VMWare servers, thin clients, etc. I utilize VMWare for running XP to run old CPS stuff on my laptop. I know running a VM is a true "Windows" experience, but you still have the underlying hardware that can cause issues.

The issue here is not Uniden's problem. They have wrote the program to work with Windows and it does that. When you try to use it in a VM with the SD Card in a Mac host, there's a chance you'll have problems and it looks like you are.

I'm assuming that's why this thread was moved to the Tavern.

I agree that this is not really Uniden's problem. They promise to support Windows on a PC and they do.

But they do appear to have a significant number of users that use Macs and run their software through a virtualized windows platform. It wouldn't hurt their reputation any if they provided some help to these customers.

After all the goal is ultimately to sell more product. Excellent customer service goes a long way toward helping sales.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I agree that this is not really Uniden's problem. They promise to support Windows on a PC and they do.

But they do appear to have a significant number of users that use Macs and run their software through a virtualized windows platform. It wouldn't hurt their reputation any if they provided some help to these customers.

After all the goal is ultimately to sell more product. Excellent customer service goes a long way toward helping sales.

+1 A lot of people are moving over to Macs because of the Intel based systems. I guess it isn't in the cards until the number of Mac owners overwhelms Windows owners.

sfd119

+1 A lot of people are moving over to Macs because of the Intel based systems. I guess it isn't in the cards until the number of Mac owners overwhelms Windows owners.

I believe Apple has only 10% of the market share in the Computer market. Not a whole lot of influence there for them. They're going to target the 90% of customers vs the 10%.

I hear your pain and understand your points...I just don't think it's on Uniden's radar...yet.

durangoGreg

I believe Apple has only 10% of the market share in the Computer market. Not a whole lot of influence there for them. They're going to target the 90% of customers vs the 10%.

I hear your pain and understand your points...I just don't think it's on Uniden's radar...yet.

With the introduction of smartphones and tablets things are changing rapidly. Windows over-all computing market share is evaporating. PC sales are declining and giants like Dell are struggling for survival. On the other hand Mac sales have increased year over year and IOS is dominating sales in the US. Computing is changing and just supporting a Windows based future is very short sited.

Here is the latest graph I could find of computing trends world-wide.

Attachments

• global-computer-640x435.png
    global-computer-640x435.png
    141.7 KB · Views: 478

sfd119

From your graph there, Uniden should be focusing on a Sentinal software for Android next. But not all graphs are the same and anyone can skew data.

Regardless, I'm not here to argue. I'm just saying, there's a reason why Mac isn't being supported right now and the long and short of it is:

*It probably won't happen--at least for a while.
*That's why your thread was moved to the Tavern.

VE3RADIO

From your graph there, Uniden should be focusing on a Sentinal software for Android next. But not all graphs are the same and anyone can skew data.

Regardless, I'm not here to argue. I'm just saying, there's a reason why Mac isn't being supported right now and the long and short of it is:

*It probably won't happen--at least for a while.
*That's why your thread was moved to the Tavern.

What a novel idea

Status
Not open for further replies.