Paulding County P25 system coming

VoicesInMyHead

Premium Subscriber
Looks like Paulding County is working to move to a P25 system. They've already awarded a contract to a consultant, and now have a contract open for bids to build out the system.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Hopefully they'll see the light and join a system that's already around them on all sides, well managed and engineered, and has superior support versus implementing another disparate system. It's always cheaper to join a regional system and just add the required RF subsites than buying an entire core and doing it the hard way.

DarkEnder47

Based on how fast Paulding is growing I figured they would be having to move on from the MotoTRBO system sooner rather than later. If they chose not to join Cobb Regional I would definitely be surprised, they are almost completely surrounded by that system. If Paulding does decide to join the Regional Radio system there would be excellent interoperability and items in place for them.
Excited to see the build out of this system.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I think as well Paulding County should join the Cobb Regional system since it's close by and shouldn't have any issues when using the system or if there is an issue during communications or etc it should be fixed fast. Hopefully they won't go with a Icom IDAS/Kenwood NXDN radio system like some of the smaller based county are going to besides Motorola MotoTRBO.

I know Bearcom - Atlanta is a big radio dealer in the area maybe they will be a big player in bidding or maybe a Harris dealer would be interested in bidding all depends on Paulding County and their needs in a radio and radio system.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Douglas, Polk, Cherokee, Cobb- all surround Paulding and are stakeholders in the Cobb regional system. It's foolish to do anything outside that box. Cobb has a regional plan and top leadership which is what it takes to run a radio system and serve that many end users. They have designated radio administrators at each agency, and all participate in decision making- so the fear of not being "in control" is alleviated. With SUA requirements, all participants get upgrades/technology refreshes in lock step so no one is left out. Maintenance windows are coordinated and down time is minimized. When it comes to cross programming and interoperability, there is a single point of contact for such. It is so much easier on all when there is a unified presence versus more piecemeal.

Another disparate system means more I/O headache. Higher cost to taxpayers. Hopefully their consultant will arrive at the same conclusion but it also depends on what the "want" is. If the "want" is to have one's own system, than the consultant will steer the discussion in that direction.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Based on how fast Paulding is growing I figured they would be having to move on from the MotoTRBO system sooner rather than later.
Being that this commercial grade system is end of life, their decision to implement a system was a short term solution to a long term problem. At the time, their VHF analog had to narrowband, and was a poor performing system designed and implemented in the 1980s when Paulding was a rural area.
IMO, the prudent thing would have been to join the Cobb system back then- but the cost was too high for them to absorb.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Hopefully they'll see the light and join a system that's already around them on all sides, well managed and engineered, and has superior support versus implementing another disparate system. It's always cheaper to join a regional system and just add the required RF subsites than buying an entire core and doing it the hard way.

And yet Paulding County is probably going to pay Nick Tusa a bunch of money to spend 80 pages telling them essentially what you just said. Unless Paulding County asks him to say something different, and then he'll do that.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Hopefully they won't go with a Icom IDAS/Kenwood NXDN radio system like some of the smaller based county are going to besides Motorola MotoTRBO.

Paulding County follows in the footsteps of counties like Habersham, migrating from TRBO to P25 when they "grow up".

RRR

Premium Subscriber
VHF Mototrbo is a great choice for more rural counties, with not a lot of rapid growth potential.

Has worked well for Laurens county for well over a decade now, and is still going strong.

Shilo

Premium Subscriber
Anyone else notice that Paulding appears not to be using their Motorola MotoTRBO system?

The SO is using the conventional frequency(155.43000).

VoicesInMyHead

Premium Subscriber
I can hear the usual services (SO, Fire) on the MotoTRBO system on the Yorkville site (at least as of 6:49pm Eastern).

w4amp

Premium Subscriber
Anyone else notice that Paulding appears not to be using their Motorola MotoTRBO system?

The SO is using the conventional frequency(155.43000).

That is a courtesy broadcast for scanner listeners that do not have DMR. Been on since the old changeover.

DarkEnder47

Anyone hear about any progress with this system? After looking at the consultant companies assessment, a likely option looks like a P25 Phase II 700/800Mhz system, joining the Cobb Regional Radio System, Most likely will feature encryption.

VoicesInMyHead

Premium Subscriber
I see on the bidding page for the buildout that the bidding is closed, but the status hasn't changed to awarded, yet. So, no real changes. Once that goes to awarded, the next thing I suspect we'll see are FCC licenses for the system.