Paying for a Firmware Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb_lonny

I have a feature I would LOVE to have added. Would Uniden EVER consider creating a custom firmware on a charge for work basis?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I don't think UPMan comments on questions like this, at least not in public. I would think the engineering cost would be a lot higher than the selling price, especially if it benefits a single person or organization. Also it would be diverting resources from the other stuff there working on.

And you will probably be the first one to complain when a payed firmware upgrade is offered (joking). We've seen this before with the HP1 Extreme Upgrade

Last edited:

pb_lonny

It is basically adding a feature from a higher level model, it is not adding an extra mode such as P25 or DMR but adding a firmware option to a specific model.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
It is basically adding a feature from a higher level model, it is not adding an extra mode such as P25 or DMR but adding a firmware option to a specific model.

Why don't you post your ideal here. I know UPMan reads everything here and I kind of think that he takes notes on practical suggestions.

pb_lonny

I would love to have "search and store" added to the UBC126AT. Much the same as on the UBCD396T. You program a search range, it searches these frequencies and saves any found to bank (I was thinking bank 0).

At the moment I have to use a laptop and remote control software to do this...

Aero125

I seriously doubt they would work on firmware for a basic level older model, they are busy improving current higher end models.

They make pocket size Windows 10 computers, google Gole1

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Great idea, but I think that is why they sell different levels of scanners with increasingly more features. Otherwise, I'm sure lots of folks would love to buy a BC75XLT or BC125AT and have them add all kinds of features. Great for the consumer, until a manufacturer goes out of business soon thereafter, then great for nobody.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
I have a feature I would LOVE to have added. Would Uniden EVER consider creating a custom firmware on a charge for work basis?

sir, please do not give uniden any more ideas as to how to charge for things they already should include. let these folks focus on building a scanner withoout several issues right out of the box and a need for more repair campaigns. lol. i can see them charging for getting a new version of models that dont have issues right out of the box. lol

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
I would love to have "search and store" added to the UBC126AT. Much the same as on the UBCD396T. You program a search range, it searches these frequencies and saves any found to bank (I was thinking bank 0).

At the moment I have to use a laptop and remote control software to do this...

If they were to charge engineering time to make this custom firmware change, it would cost many, many times more than a UBCD396T or any other scanner model. If you really want this feature, sell your UBC126AT and buy a UBCD396T.

marksmith

Sort if like asking for all the features in a 396xt, but wanting to buy it in a 125at. Not gonna happen. Go buy the scanner that has the feature you want. Don't buy one that doesn't have what you want and ask for it to be enhanced.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Since the market for such a service would be very small, you will pay a HUGE price for the service assuming Uniden would be willing to do it. By huge I'm thinking probably north of $50,000.

pb_lonny

Sort if like asking for all the features in a 396xt, but wanting to buy it in a 125at. Not gonna happen. Go buy the scanner that has the feature you want. Don't buy one that doesn't have what you want and ask for it to be enhanced.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

I am asking for one feature to be added, not taking all the features of model X and putting them in model Y. I don't need P25, trunking or any other "high end" features or I would buy a high end scanner.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I am asking for one feature to be added, not taking all the features of model X and putting them in model Y. I don't need P25, trunking or any other "high end" features or I would buy a high end scanner.

It's never going to happen. Uniden will never create custom firmware for a single customer.

Reality check: Even if they were to (which they won't), the cost of doing so would be so prohibitive, that you could've purchased numerous top of the line scanners that have the one feature you want to add. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.