• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

PC Tel UHF Antenna Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

piper451

I'm not an antenna expert, so please go easy on me. I have a question about the antenna pictured below. It is marked PCTel 450-470 and has a spring base. I want to use this antenna in a mobile application for GMRS. I'm wondering if I am in the ballpark with this antenna. What's throwing me off is the fact that the upper section is longer than the lower section. Can someone explain? If everything looks ok, what should the approximate length of the upper and lower be for 467 MHz? Also, can the spring base be removed and if so, will it affect the tuning length? Thank you so much in advance - I learn something new every day reading the posts on this site.
ybahu6y3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmdrwill

PCTel has some weird antenna designs.

The upper rod is a end feed 3/8 wave and the lower is probably a 1/2 wave rod. The small black section between the two rods is the phasing coil that matches the two rods into one antenna radiator

There is another coil below the spring in the base that matches the half wave rod..

I do not think the black section above the spring, labeled "?", belongs there.

See:PCTEL | Heavy Duty Low Profile Base Gain Antennas

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
The "black" section is an important part of the antenna, it's the part that lets the antenna cover the whole frequency range 450-470 (wideband).

I don't think the antenna is still being made (could be wrong though).

Ron

piper451

Thank you for the replies. I'm really curious to know (judging by the length of the sections) if this antenna will perform well on 467 MHz? Or does it need to be trimmed? I know I can't get an exact answer without exact measurements and testing, but is it close?

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
These amtennas were designed not to be tuned.
They covered the whole range (450-470) with the
middle at 460.
Ron

piper451

Awesome. Thanks Ron. It was working well on GMRS. Just wanted to know if I could make it any "better". Thanks again

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
Glad to help! I have used this antenna on our
county Com trailer. Worked great for interop.

Ron

piper451

I currently have it mounted on my truck using a fender mount. I would love to put it in the center of the roof, but I would have some serious height issues driving through parking ramps and into my garage. Am I loosing a great deal of performance by using the fender mount?

Status
Not open for further replies.