PC World Windows 8 Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgentle

"One OS to rule them all"?

NO.....

The Metro UI doesn't work for a desktop interface.

Having been using the Consumer Preview for about a week now, I'm still figuring out the new UI.

Hot corners......left & right clicking in the hot corners, click & drag in the hot corners?????? Charms Bar???? WTF!!!

The stock Windows Explorer was just jaw dropping until I got it back to something recognizable.

Good try Microsoft, but, you were aiming for tablets with the Metro UI......not desktops.

Luckily Stardock is creating a Start button for Windows 8.

45SigSauer

I think the best description was this:

"Windows 8 straddles the fence between being a touchscreen OS and a desktop OS, and anyone who's straddled a fence before knows it's rather uncomfortable," another detractor said.

I think I'll stick with my windows 7 for a while.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
This is worth watching:

http://betanews.com/2012/03/14/windows-8-mouse-and-keyboard-meet-metro-video-review/

I took the plunge and installed it on my desktop since it was released. I can tell you that you do get used to the new things after a while. I don't think the majority of the metro apps work all that well. The email client while looks nice, seems to take forever for new mail to show up in it. I also don't see the point of having metro apps be full screen only on a desktop with a big monitor.

The good news is my USB-serial adapter works and FreeScan does too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Looks cute for the tablet drones. I see it's acceptance time, out in the real world with Public and Private Sector users, being either long and slow or non-existant. Kind of like Vista.

P

Piriz

I don't know what Microsoft was thinking when they decided to use this tablet interface on desktops. Please Microsoft do this only on tablets, the pc users are still here and don't want to be let behind with old technology just because of your experiments.

slash

Having been in this game for a while, As far as consumer OS'es are concerned:
With respect to how well they worked and the technology at the time from the standpoint of problems (having used all these GUIs)::

Windows 3.1, was great.
Windows 95, sucked.
Windows 98, was great.
Windows ME, sucked
Windows XP, was great.
Windows Vista sucked,
Windows 7 was great.
Windows 8 looks like it will suck.

Anybody seeing the pattern here? Hold off until Windows 9.
Also, thank Monkeyboy, and be careful, he throws chairs when he's angry.

K

kb0nly

I have been trying Win 8 since we got a release of it through the Microsoft Beta Program at work, it sucks... Plain and simple.

Windows 7 will become the new Windows XP i think, it will be used for years and years because nothing better coming after it. I stayed on XP for a long time, went to Vista when i bought a new computer with it, plus i was dealing with it at work a lot, then i downgraded to XP on my new computer, eventually i went to 7 and now i have all my computers but one old workbench PC on 7, love it... I don't see me moving to 8, it sucks.

This coming from someone who lives and works with computers daily.....

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Windows 3.1, was great.
DOS 6 sprouted a GUI and DOS worked fine.

Windows 95, sucked.
A first attempt at a new OS usually does.

Windows 98, was great.
Because they spent 3 years working the bugs out.

Windows ME, sucked
Mistake Edition was another new OS so what did you expect?

Windows XP, was great.
They did a great job of debugging their Mistake and I still use it only now on the Virtual Machine.

Windows Vista sucked,
Which is why I never touched it with a 10 foot pole or a Hungarian midget.

Windows 7 was great.
Still is and I use it in the main, a lean mean fighting machine since they took the bloat out of what went before.

The Hungarian midget would probably kill me.

brandon

Database Admin
Yep I'll be sticking with Windows 7. Hell I even run Windows XP still on a few systems.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I've used it too and it sucks. I think MS feels they NEED to release a new OS to keep things new for users. I think they should just release something like an Add-On Pack that would include driver updates and new features and if it's worth it, just charge a small fee for it. I'm not talking a SP, since they should be free because they are fixes and patches.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
Having been in this game for a while, As far as consumer OS'es are concerned:
With respect to how well they worked and the technology at the time from the standpoint of problems (having used all these GUIs)::

Windows 3.1, was great.

Windows 95, sucked.
Windows 98, was great.
Windows ME, sucked
Windows XP, was great.
Windows Vista sucked,
Windows 7 was great.

Anybody seeing the pattern here? Hold off until Windows 9.
Also, thank Monkeyboy, and be careful, he throws chairs when he's angry.
3.1 was great? really? I thought it sucked. I just did everything in DOS and got away with better speed and performance and was able to do more, more quickly, in DOS. I mean, after all, Win3.1 just turned all of your mouse clicks into DOS commands and executed them there anyhow. It was just a layer, not really an OS.... kind of an app. Certainly NOT an OS in the true sense of the word.

Of course, neither was Win95. I, for one, believe Win95 was a C++ app as well. Got reallllly wierd looks from MS reps back then when I posed that question.... almost like a "stunned amazement" response.... lol... but it did work fairly well.

I agree, 98 2nd Edition was a very good OS for its day.

Other than that, I agree with your assessment 100%. Win8 will be another boondoggle, and its offspring will be something good again after MS takes theur lumps like they did with Vista.

Seems like MS keeps doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result each time (the def of insanity). Release what you WANT to release, have your user base revolt, then release what you SHOULD'VE re;eased to begin with and have some success with it.

Last edited:

slash

3.1 was great? really? I thought it sucked. I just did everything in DOS and got away with better speed and performance and was able to do more, more quickly, in DOS. I mean, after all, Win3.1 just turned all of your mouse clicks into DOS commands and executed them there anyhow. It was just a layer, not really an OS.... kind of an app. Certainly NOT an OS in the true sense of the word.
While it was a layer and didn't do much, it was stable and simple. It did open the graphics capabilities for things like web browsers, file managers, word processing, etc. It left DOS intact and wasn't a necessity.

mikemey

Windows 8 is going to be a disaster that makes Windows Vista look intelligent.

I have it running on a VM, and I absolutely hate the layout. Its not intuitive.

If M$ thinks the business world is going to embrace this, they're in for a rude awakening.

w2xq

Mentor
Having used every OS since DOS 1.x, I won't contest the conclusions above. But I have to say I never had problems with Vista. And for work I installed a corporate-licensed Win2000 after rehabbing corporate-discarded PCs -- that served well for the non-power users of hundreds of PCs going back into use (think budget cuts that included IT). In partial defense of Windows 8 development, Microsoft needs a tablet/smartphone OS to get their oar into the water now dominated by Apple and Android. The poor financial statements of Dell and H-P are testimony to the shrinking PC market and the rise of the tablets and increasing powerful smartphones. Government and corporate business are feeling the budget crunch. From my perspective, the IT departments serving those users of tabletop boxes are making do as long as the glue and baling wire works to hold things together. I'm not defending Microsoft, but as an investor of stocks in in the tech area I think I can understand the "why" of the new/upgraded/tweaked/whatever you want to call it OS.

Last edited:

mikemey

I see your point, and I agree with it to some extent.

I believe the business world will always have some sort of desktop/laptop setup. I know Microhell doesn't like having multiple flavors, but if they really wanted Windows 8 to take, they should have created a desktop version and a tablet/mobile phone version.

I see Windows 7 sticking around like Windows XP did.

w2xq

Mentor
I agree that business and government will continue with the desktop PC platform, albeit in declining numbers sufficient to sink the traditional Dell and H-P profits. From my limited understanding of coding, Microsoft has had trouble with marrying the work of separate teams for separate platforms. If the underlying code can be made common across the processors of today, then it would be a down to a question of the user interface using the appropriate hooks -- desktop, tablet and smartphone -- of the base common code. I would think that would reduce/eliminate future coding problems and allow for one common design thread. The youngsters of today are inclined toward touchie-feeling smartphones.... and they're going to be the employees of tomorrow. Less training, less orientation, more profit for investors (or cost reduction for governments).

planegenius

I think that Windows is trying to enter the mobile market and its coming in too late. Many younger people are already used to android and iOS, I feel like Windows 8 will only serve to confuse veteran Windows users with the new Metro GUI.

Hope to revive this conversation now that 8 is officially out. I'm building a new computer and can't decide between 7 or 8. I've never used 7 either, so I have no basis for decision. Are your above comments about the down sides of 8 base solely on the user interface? Most benchmarks I've seen between 7 and 8 have 8 coming off as the winner. Interested in your opinion on the OS overall.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.