PCHFDL Or PC-HFDL 635-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Want to start playing around with HFDL decoding.
I see that there is: PCHFDL available for downloading (not too new), and also PC-HFDL 635-3 available too.

Which do i want ? Why ?

Let me also please ask: I'm not too sharp with digital decoding. Would this (whichever one) be a good program to
start learning, or are there others that are easier and more straightforward ? I've given up with Multipsk; just too much for me now.

I have a SDRPlay RSP-2.

Prefer something with a true "screen," and not all via command lines.

Thanks for help,
Bob

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There are a few other programs - Sigmira (which we already know has issues with the RSPs), MultiPSK and Sorcerer, but that last one requires a bit of work to get going. And I'm not going to go into the mult-kilobuck programs that frankly are overwhelming for folks just getting started.

Google is your friend - your 'PC-HFDL 635-3 is evidently a renamed version of PC-HFDL version 1.01. The 635-3 refers to the original ARINC (now Rockwell Collins, I think) spec that defines the protocol for this mode. While the HFDL Yahoo group might be the only place to get an up to date version, there are several places to download an earlier version that works fine for about 15 mins (it's shareware, after all).

More information on this, including a brief description of the various HFDL fields displayed by PC-HFDL can be found here

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/HFDL

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I should mention that I think all versions of PC-HFDL quit after a certain time limit - I'm sure the HFDL Yahoo group has more to say about this.....Mike

BOBRR

Hi Mike,

As always, thanks for help.
Have Posted to the Yahoo Group you suggested.
Nice of you to take the time.

Best regards,
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.