PCR 1500 wont scan w/o PC on

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidplate

Just wondering if there is a way to force the pcr1500 to scan when the PC is turned off? Will I have to buy a control head to use the radio when the computer is down.

Air490

The PCR1500 is entirely computer controlled. If your PC is off then it won't work. The IC-R1500 is the version with the control head. If you have a PCR1500 I don't believe the control head can be fitted to it. You may want to contact an Icom dealer to check.

You could alwasy buy a cheap PC, either used or an Asus Eee PC, to run it on.

skidplate

That's kinda what I thought. I guess I'll make a call to Icom and see if I can get a control head. I should have got the Ic r1500 when I started down this road. Still, a great little radio.
Thanks for your input .

key2_altfire

My local HRO sells the control head for about $100. AFAIK it's a direct plug-in, no other changes necessary. The PC program that comes with the R1500 is different than the PCR1500 though, and you'll need the R1500 version to program the memory channels into the control head.

You can program it manually but it's a HUGE pain - since there's no numerical keypad, you have to select the frequencies by twirling the tuning knob.

irecki

The PCR1500 is entirely computer controlled. If your PC is off then it won't work. The IC-R1500 is the version with the control head. If you have a PCR1500 I don't believe the control head can be fitted to it. You may want to contact an Icom dealer to check.

You could alwasy buy a cheap PC, either used or an Asus Eee PC, to run it on.

Good news...
The PCR1500 CAN be controlled by IC-R1500 (not 2500) head panel. Tested, 100% working. The control panell allows you to set the same scope of options as used by USB connection. I am wondering if the panel "internals" use the same controls commands as in VCP (or COM in PCR1000 case), as communication between PCR1500's MCU and panel is SERIAL TR/RX. The only way to rocognise it is to SNIFF the communication, which I am going to do... I will let you know.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.