PCR AnyWhere 2.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcarlos

Hi,

PCR AnyWhere is releasing today the version 2.1.1 which is a maintenance release to fix the communications problems with some receivers of the type PCR1000 and PCR100. Apart from that, some other changes have been made like the option to manually set up the hardware or a drastic improvement on the time response of controls when the application is operated from a remote location.

The new version is available from the section 'Downloads' of our web page pcranywhere.com - Home

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
..JC

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
I have tried to install this many times now using all the tricks I know from 20 years in IT. No dice. The installation program runs normally, but the configuration program fails to start. I have found that it installs a service, but this service does not start, and I cannot make it start even with full administrator privileges.

Using the Computer Administration tools any attempt to start the process ends with error message "Error 1067: the process terminated unexpectedly"

This is on a Windows 7 64 bit computer with two cores and 4 gigabytes of ram.

I would really like to give your program a fair trial but this is a show stopper.

The drivers and software that came with the radio perform fine, but I'd like to try a better program if it is out there.

Does anyone have any ideas about making this thing work?

jcarlos

Hi,

Everything what you describe points to a problem related to Java. It looks like that the installation tool found a Java installation but later on it cannot be found. Both the service (which is a curtomized Apache Tomcat service) and the configuration tool need Java.

You can try the following:

- Go to the configuration option in the menu, right click on the menu option and select Properties
- Copy all the contents of the command associated to that menu option. It should be something like:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "C:\PCR AnyWhere\bin\PCRConfig.jar"
- Open a command prompt with administrative privileges and paste the command above
- Try to run it and see what is the error that you get.

I guess that javaw.exe will not be found. In that case, look where is your actual Java runtime executables and try to change the link of the configuration tool. If it works, you will need to change all of them.

Please let me know how it goes so that I can fix the problem in the next release.

Kind regards,
..JC

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Hi,
You can try the following:

- Go to the configuration option in the menu, right click on the menu option and select

What configuration menu? The configuration tool doesn't even start after the install. My javaw.exe is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe".

Properties
- Copy all the contents of the command associated to that menu option.

Again, what program and what menu?

I managed to start the configuration program in the bin directory, but there is no menu I can find there. And running the application just gives the message that tomcat is not running.

I looked in "service.bat" whch presumably is meant to start the service, but there is no reference to javaw.exe in that file nor in any paramaters.

it should be something like:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "C:\PCR AnyWhere\bin\PCRConfig.jar"

What should be "something like" that?

- Open a command prompt with administrative privileges and paste the command above
- Try to run it and see what is the error that you get
I guess that javaw.exe will not be found. In that case, look where is your actual Java runtime executables and try to change the link of the configuration tool. If it works, you will need to change all of them

Please let me know how it goes so that I can fix the problem in the next release.

Kind regards,
..JC

SCPD

QRT
Your OP sounded like it might be a bug in the app and not in your setup. I ran the program to see if it might be an issue with a 64bit OS. If it did not run i would have offered to help more than just saying it runs. Good luck with your computer issues.

Mike

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Your OP sounded like it might be a bug in the app

There are always bugs in every application. That doesn't bother me, since I have written apps myself and they had bugs too. It's not an accusation to the developer, it's just a fact that any app with more than one line of code WILL have a bug.

and not in your setup.

I have bog standard windows7 64 bit. The only app that most people don't use is that I have web server software running all the time (Apache with php and mysql from the XAMMP package) They also have a tomcat server but I do not have it running so it shouldn't block any ports.

I have the 64 bits drivers from ICOM, which I needed for their software to communicate via a 64 bit system. That might have been considered a "bug" in their software but I didn't consider it so because 64 bit systems were rare when their software was designed.

What is happening is that the service installed on installation will not run on my system.

I ran the program to see if it might be an issue with a 64bit OS. If it did not run i would have offered to help more than just saying it runs. Good luck with your computer issues.

Last edited:

jcarlos

Hi Ed,

You can be sure that the problem doesn't come from your 64 bits platform. In fact, I made all the development with a Windows 7 64 bits plus some virtual machines with other operating systems to make the tests. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to take in account all the possible configurations.

Don't worry about the service by now. The configuration utility doesn't need the service. The fact that both are not working (configuration and service), makes me think that the problem comes from Java.

Also, don't worry about the Icom drivers for the USB port. PCR AnyWhere doesn't need of it when it runs on Widnows Vista or Windows 7.

What I was trying to ask you to do (sorry, English is not my mother tongue) is the following:

- Press the Start button (rounded button at lower left corner)
- Select 'All Programs'
- Select 'PCR AnyWhere'
- Select 'Administration'
- Right click on 'Configuration'
- Select 'Properties'
- Copy what is written in the field 'Target'. I will appreciate if you could send me that contents.
- Paste all that (the contents of the field 'Target') on a command prompt that you opened with administrative privileges and execute it. Most probably, you will get an error. Please let me know what you get.

All that is just to know why the configuration utility is not starting.

Thanks for your help. That will help me to fix future problems.
..JC

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Hi Ed,
- Press the Start button (rounded button at lower left corner)
- Select 'All Programs'
- Select 'PCR AnyWhere'
- Select 'Administration'
- Right click on 'Configuration'
- Select 'Properties'
- Copy what is written in the field 'Target'. I will appreciate if you could send me that contents.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "C:\Program Files (x86)\PCR AnyWhere\bin\PCRConfig.jar"

- Paste all that (the contents of the field 'Target') on a command prompt that you opened with administrative privileges and execute it. Most probably, you will get an error. Please let me know what you get.

There is no error message. The command window just goes to a new prompt. And yes I did run it with Administrator privileges.

All that is just to know why the configuration utility is not starting.
Thanks for your help. That will help me to fix future problems.
.JC

jcarlos

Hi,

I would like to ask you to execute the same command in the command prompt BUT changing "javaw" by "java":

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -jar "C:\Program Files (x86)\PCR AnyWhere\bin\PCRConfig.jar"

That will produce a more verbose result, I hope.

Thanks,
..JC

jcarlos

Can you also please check that you have an system environment variable called PCRANYWHERE_HOME? It should have been created by the set up with the value "C:\Program Files (x86)\PCR AnyWhere"

Thanks,
..JC

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Can you also please check that you have an system environment variable called PCRANYWHERE_HOME? It should have been created by the set up with the value "C:\Program Files (x86)\PCR AnyWhere"

Yes there is. It is:

PCRANYWHERE_HOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\PCR AnyWhere

Also, in case it will help the PATH variable is:

Path=C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program File
s (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Window
s;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Progra
m Files (x86)\EgisTec MyWinLocker\x86;C:\Program Files (x86)\EgisTec MyWinLocker
\x64;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;"C:\Program Files (x86)\PKWARE\p
kzipc";C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\

Alsto I am (I hope) attaching a text file "var.txt" containing all the output of the "set" command.

Edit: doesn't look like the attachment got included. If you need it I can cut and paste the output into a message.

jcarlos

That looks fine. Did you see my previous post? I would like to know the result of executing:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -jar "C:\Program Files (x86)\PCR AnyWhere\bin\PCRConfig.jar"

Thanks,
..JC

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
That looks fine. Did you see my previous post? I would like to know the result of executing:

Ran it from the shell bought up by cmd.exe in administrative mode. Cut and paste of result follows:

C:\Windows\system32>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -jar "C:\Program Files (x86)\PCR AnyWhere\bin\PCRConfig.jar"
Error occurred during initialization of VM
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

I have the latest version of Java for Windows 7.

jcarlos

Hi Ed,

That error usually comes from a confusion of the system among different Java versions. Can you please check if you have more than one instance of Java installed? Please check what you get under:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java
C:\Program Files\Java

Apart from that, please try to add the following path to your PATH environment variable:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6

but, under normal conditions, the PATH or CLASSPATH variables are not needed.

Thanks,
..JC

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the advice. I have an appointment this morning but should be able to get back to it later in the day.
Hi Ed,

That error usually comes from a confusion of the system among different Java versions. Can you please check if you have more than one instance of Java installed? Please check what you get under:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java
C:\Program Files\Java

Apart from that, please try to add the following path to your PATH environment variable:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6

but, under normal conditions, the PATH or CLASSPATH variables are not needed.

Thanks,
..JC

jcarlos

I made a mistake. The path to be added to the PATH variable is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
I made a mistake. The path to be added to the PATH variable is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin

I did this but it didn't help, sorry. I added the variable to the path, then uninstalled PCRAnywher, then re-ran the installation, but the configuration app still didn't start. I can run PCRConfig.jar it from the GUI but it stops after the second step where I tell it that I want it to be a local installation. The line for "hardware detection" does not go bold and the program just stops at that point. I was using the "PCRAnyWhere_2.2_beta-Setup.exe" and I thought that might be the problem so I downloaded 2.11, but the same things happen there as well.

I appreciate your taking the time to help.

jcarlos

A pleasure...

Did you check if you have more than one installations of Java under C:\Program Files (x86)\Java and C:\Program Files\Java?

And another thing: could be an option that I connect to your computer via TeamViewer or something similar? That could help me a lot. I'm really curious to know what is happening.

Thanks,
..JC

Status
Not open for further replies.