Pcr2500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banquet

Hi all,

I'm a newbie at scanning/receivers. I've owned a Yupiteru 7100 for some time and enjoyed using it for UHF/VHF and also for some HF. I've basically just used it with the telescopic aerial and also a short wire that hooks up near a window which helps HF a little.

Just recently I had some spare money and so have bought a PCR2500. Unfortunately to my surprise I can't seem to hear freq's on it that I can hear on the Yuppi.

I live in a flat, so can't put up an outside antenna.. I don't even have a loft so I'm limited to placing an aerial around the flat. For the 2500 I have the standard aerial that it came with it in ant2, and an Angler VHF*UHF aerial with a HF wire aerial that plugs in in ant1.

I can put the Yuppi, pretty much anywhere in a room and get some HF signal on certain frequencies. Moving it around will help, but I can at least hear something. On the 2500 I'm only hearing static! Even on airband the Yuppi is picking up fainter signals that the 2500 can't hear!

Obviously because of my situation being in a flat with no loft I wasn't expecting to hear particularly much from long range, but I was hoping the 2500 would pick up more.

I've heard the Yuppi is easy to overload on HF.. does this mean that the 2500 needs a much better antenna to work?

Any comments or advice would be much appreciated.. I feel like an idiot at the moment for buying something that is out of my league. I hope to move house in the coming months and will then put up a proper aerial but, in the meantime, I'm worried the 2500 isn't going to be unuseable.

Thanks in advance :)

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
You may have the antenna connected to the wrong port. It will work out of the box with the supplied whip. There are two ports to choose from, try each one to see if you can hear more than static. Not sure where you are located, but you may want to start with a known active frequency to compare to. Check that the squelch setting is set for the correct receiver as well.

Banquet

Thanks DaveIN,

I thought I had the antenna in the right ports, but after re-plugging them to make sure I did seem to get better reception.

I've now placed the whip and the Angler antenna + wire in the best positions I can find and am getting good reception. I would still say it's either the same, or sometimes marginally worse than the Yuppi with just the whip, which I find really odd.. but at least it's about on par, and the 2500 can do so much more. It's very exciting and I'm no longer worrying that I'll regret buying it! :)

Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.