PCSO Radio Usage W/O A Repeater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrevDog

*NOTE: Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum, but I'm not sure what brand radios we use...

My explorer post would like to use radios for an upcoming event we'll be attending, however the event is in Sac County and we are in Placer. Can we use the radios (analog, VHF) just unit-to-unit? Or do we have to have a repeater? We won't be too spread out- maybe a max of 2 square miles. Any info would be great as I have very little knowledge of how they work...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It depends entirely how the radios are set up.

What you are looking for is a simplex or "talk around" channel. Generally any public safety radio system worth it's salt will have this.

I'd be willing to bet a cup of coffee that the Sheriff department radios will have at minimum CLEMARS and CalCord programmed into them. If not, they should. Unfortunately your use likely won't fit into the intended use for those two channels. CLEMARS is more of a mutual aid or dispatch to dispatch channel. CalCord is more often used for interagency coordination.

Most agencies are licensed for at least one simplex frequency. It would be up to your department to tell you if the radios you will be using have one, and if it is licensed to be use in Sacramento County.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Looking at the database for Placer County Sheriff office shows a number of what appear to be simplex frequencies. Looks like there are some Admin channels and a "car to car" channel.

Of course it all depends on what you are allowed to use by the Sheriffs department and by Sacramento county.

RobVallejo

Thoughtful question you have

TrevDog, it is good you are asking this question ahead of time. I think you will have to talk to the communications people for whatever agency your explorer post is affiliated with. Like the other posters have mentioned, you will want to make sure the frequency is approved in the actual county of use (Sacramento).

That is very important. The inappropriate use of a Placer county-licensed frequency in Sacramento County could interfere with Sacramento communications. In the worst case scenario, this could endanger public safety personnel. For example, if you used a Placer County Fire Joint Powers Authority Tac, you could potentially interfere with Sacramento County Tac 7 (154.4).

Public safety communications types tend to be very protective of their frequencies. Besides the potential safety issues, walking all over someone else's frequency is unprofessional and could be embarrassing for your explorer post.

Perhaps someone who is coordinating the event would could provide authorization to use a Sacramento frequency?

Good luck.

TrevDog

Alright, I appreciate the help with this. I'll see if we can get in touch with a comms guy and get it worked out If not, we can always use good 'ol walkie-talkies.
I wondered about the licensing issue, but not walking over Sac County's freq's- thanks for pointing that out RobVallejo.

Also, I believe Cars-to-Cars is literally 'cars', and not portables (could be wrong....).

Status
Not open for further replies.