PCTEL vs Motorola 7/800 Antenna

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Premium Subscriber
Interested if anyone else has seen this....check out the angle of the PCTEL where it contacts the NMO mount vs the standard Motorola, which is flat. These are pretty much same specs, both 7/800 MHz. But, I'm interested in hearing if anyone had a degraded signal due to the lack of direct surface area with the PCTEL. I have another PCTEL on 450-520 MHz and it's flat like the Motorola.

Antennas.jpg

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
The angled plunger looks odd but I don't think its a problem, I'm sure many plungers don't engage the entire flat surface to the mount and if you look at the flat one on the right its got raised areas on the plunger face than would minimize the contact area. Looking at both antennas in the picture I would say they came out of the same factory but one has some cosmetic changes to satisfy that particular customer.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Premium Subscriber
I swapped both of them back and forth and no degrading of RSSI on the slanted one. Must have just been an odd batch. Tessco is sending me another one just to satisfy my OCD knowing its there.

merlin

I have both, and both spring pins are flat. I agree with prcguy, likely cause no problems.