• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

pd batons

Status
Not open for further replies.

landonjensen

hello all
i was at a police/army store today, and i saw they had batons for sale. They had a sign next to them stating that you must own a license in order to hold/buy a baton legally. Is this true? For what reason?

Thank You
Landon

RolnCode3

Depends on where you live (and your post and profile don't mention that). If they put a sign up, then it's most likely true (or they just don't want to sell it to you). Here in California, it's a felony to possess a baton unless you're a peace officer or a licensed security guard (I'm sure someone will post other exceptions, but those are the biggees).

RolnCode3

Click on "User CP". Then "Edit Profile". Then fill in the space.

Since you do live in CA...yes, it's a wobbler (can be a felony or misdemeanor), Penal Code 12020, to possess a baton.

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:
(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the
state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives,
lends, or possesses any cane gun or wallet gun, any undetectable
firearm, any firearm which is not immediately recognizable as a
firearm, any camouflaging firearm container, any ammunition which
contains or consists of any flechette dart, any bullet containing or
carrying an explosive agent, any ballistic knife, any multiburst
trigger activator, any nunchaku, any short-barreled shotgun, any
short-barreled rifle, any metal knuckles, any belt buckle knife, any
leaded cane, any zip gun, any shuriken, any unconventional pistol,
any lipstick case knife, any cane sword, any shobi-zue, any air gauge
knife, any writing pen knife, any metal military practice
handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade, or any instrument or weapon
of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy,
sandclub, sap, or sandbag.

Here in Michigan it is the same. Must be an LEO to possess a baton. Our dept will not allow us to carry them or chem spray off duty either. Carry a gun but no baton or pepper spray. Yeah makes sense...

gcgrotz

newbie said:
Here in Michigan it is the same. Must be an LEO to possess a baton. Our dept will not allow us to carry them or chem spray off duty either. Carry a gun but no baton or pepper spray. Yeah makes sense...
Don't club 'em, just shoot 'em!

stevie621

I still have two of the black jacks. One nice round one and the little flat one. I got them from my friends in the old days when I lived on Long Island and had a lot of friends in the NYPD. I am blind and have a guide dog and use to carry the round one when I did a lot of hitch hiking to get around Denver. I think the American un-civil liberties union forced the PDs to stop using the black jack.

red8

flyingwolf, it gave way to more efficient tools(i.e. expandable baton,and last but certainly not least the tazer) nothin like opening
up 50,000 volts of wup ass

RESCUE4NFD

Batons

I think the "Blackjack" is the one with the spring and lead sinker on the end,and the flat one is called a "Slapjack" .

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
In Iowa, the ASP expanding batons can be carried by anyone, however the old PR-24 sidehandle batons require certification.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
jhooten said:
Be careful with the maglight. If you hit them harde enough to ding the tube it is a real PIA to get the batteries out.

Experienced this through anger. (Management class) :lol: 6 cell too.

Damn &%%^(9%^....frek &^#@..son of a %&*&$. :lol: :lol:

I got to try out those Infra red filters they have for Mag Lights. Make it really nice addition to the night vision. :) Well how be, I can rhyme.

Speaking of weapons of terror. I actually have a cane with a sword in it. Oh, Mr. security officer SR? Would you be so kind as to hold this as I place my baggage through the X-ray. :lol:

I'm sure he or she would have the cane passed through as well. Damn *&#@! :lol:

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
poltergeisty said:

Speaking of weapons of terror. I actually have a cane with a sword in it. Oh, Mr. security officer SR? Would you be so kind as to hold this as I place my baggage through the X-ray. :lol:

There was an older gentleman who I used to work security for that was about 60 or so that had one of those canes. He said since the boss wouldnt let him carry anything besides the mace and cuffs, he brought his own weapon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.