PD Interop

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolrich55

Listened to the foot chase and search of the suspect in New London the other night that ended up at the mayor's house. Included were NLPD, WPD and CSP. As far as I could tell no interop comms were used in this incident. Dispatch was relaying info to their respective officers. Someone even said the suspect was even black, but was white. All these millions of dollars for these new radio systems that they say we need so that one unit can talk to another unit clear across the sate, if not the country but they can't or won't talk to another department on the same radio system. Yes I've heard CSPERN used in the past and it has worked well but if these systems are not used ALL the time when needed, I see a problem. Any thoughts?

w1haf

Poor training on how to use the system. Dispatchers and Supervisors need to control the communications and assign channels rather than just answer the radio.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
When you are pulling up and jumping out of your car, the last thing you are thinking about it taking your portable out of your holster, switching zones, finding a channel and then rehosltering the radio and breaking into a sprint to chase the bad guy.

Fire and EMS generally have the luxury to setup field comms and get all that rolling. Law enforcement in a dynamic situation does not.

SOFA_KING

Bad radio programming! The channel should be in every zone, or at least the zones you use the most. I know the 16 channel limit on a zone is a limitation, but you have to chose what channels are "really" important, and shift some of the not-so-important stuff elsewhere.

Just my $0.02 from many experiences with bad template writers. :mad:

w1haf

I agree with you PJH. I was a cop for 28 years and I was in charge of the communications center. There is time after the initial situation to regroup especially while you wait for other agencies to arrive to organize your communications and assign channels.

They should have the mutual aid Tac channel programmed in each zone.

coolrich55

When you are pulling up and jumping out of your car, the last thing you are thinking about it taking your portable out of your holster, switching zones, finding a channel and then rehosltering the radio and breaking into a sprint to chase the bad guy.

Fire and EMS generally have the luxury to setup field comms and get all that rolling. Law enforcement in a dynamic situation does not.

This incident lasted for at least 4 hours, no reason why the New London cops couldn't talk directly to the Waterford cops.

wesct

Poor training on how to use the system. Dispatchers and Supervisors need to control the communications and assign channels rather than just answer the radio.

A simple "Patch" system to connect two or 3 radio systems together would be nice.

Of course, because this is the "State of Confusion", it will never happen.

wesct

I agree with you PJH. I was a cop for 28 years and I was in charge of the communications center. There is time after the initial situation to regroup especially while you wait for other agencies to arrive to organize your communications and assign channels.

They should have the mutual aid Tac channel programmed in each zone.

There should be a plan in place. If there is not, time for some heads to roll.

Just like what happened in Newtown, The local PD had no idea how to handle a situation, until it actually happened. Poor planning is poor planning.

Thankfully, Newtown PD has had some training for the future.

kmacinct

NLPD and WATERFORD SHOULD be able to talk to each other, but as mentioned earlier, do you really want an officer changing or searching for channels when he's in pursuit or running on foot?

There are PLENTY of systems and solutions out there for interop communications. Both for immediate activation and long term activation - but someone needs to 'pull the alarm' and make it happen.....

PJH

Premium Subscriber
What W1HAF can appreciate, but many who have never been in public safety and/or just read all the trade mags and similar stuff - things that are so dynamic do not fit actual real world conditions.

People can arm chair stuff like this all day long, but until they are actually put into situation, you will find out that the best laid plans (usually put together by people with little to no field experience) go out the window rather rapidly.

Many of the trade articles are written by industry representatives and people who live in cubicles in DC who do not have field experience by are tasked to write SOP's, guidelines and other such mandatory directives tied to $$$ but have really no concept that some of that stuff doesn't work.

My current beef are from radio shops that have employee's who have no experience but can tell police chiefs how things should be done. (my current situation - we came up with new templates with real talkgroup names but the radio shop thought their way was better - and guess who gets to foot the bill for reprogramming to how it was suppose to be done!)

The last thing we want to have happen is to have a police officer needing to look down at a radio while navigating busy roads and then do the same running after someone. One channel works great.

I will not comment on this system or what may or may not be in place on a console level (and I don't think anyone here can intelligently comment unless they have in-person knowledge of the console options and layouts) to arm chair what happened, and was there. We may never know, but its not our place in a scanner enthusiast forum to critic public safety operations when you only know one side of the radio.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The last thing we want to have happen is to have a police officer needing to look down at a radio while navigating busy roads and then do the same running after someone. One channel works great.

Similar to how a fire mayday call is handled here, everyone but the distressed, command, and RIT, moves off of that talkgroup. (The talkgroup the fireground comms moves to has been preselected, by the fire chiefs, and put into a countywide policy.)

The intent being that whomever is in dire straights does not have to worry about about their radio controls.

Sent via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.