• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Pd682 unmute on DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
Ok I have lived with this for over a year and I don't know if this is how dmr radios work but I'll explain the change is like to do, and if someone who has knowledge needs a copy of my cp I can add it. So, with that all said; I have several zones added to my radio all with dmr except a few analog zones. I kept my dmr stuff separate zones from analog. I live in Ventura county and found that the oat mountain system works for me, however when I am in that zone that has like for example: socal, socal 1, audio test, world wide the only way to listen to a channel I'm parked on I have to press the push to talk and than I can hear people talking on that channel. Is that normal ? I would think every time I key the PTT I'm probably jamming or sending unuseful packets. If I go into scan mode well just forget it it will not stop on a channel because it can't detect audio or a signal until I key up.

I remember having this issue with setting up astro25 channels and my unmute, mute settings were wrong which I was able to solve however now that I am venturing to dmr more since it's active in my county I'd like to enjoy my listening more without having to constantly key a channel just to hear people.

I appreciate the time for someone to help out.

KE5MC

Some DMR repeaters are setup with talk groups that always pass traffic and others that are PTT(15) enabled. Meaning they only pass traffic after you PTT. The number (15) means the time frame in minutes you can listen until it goes quite. An active QSO will keep resetting the timer. I doubt that the first PTT to "wakeup" the talk group is passed, but I don't maintain a repeater so I don't really know. An online search for the repeater you are using should show you what talk groups are PTT and how long it would be active. I am assuming the talk group you have to PTT to listen on is not already in use locally. That the operators you will hear are not using the repeater directly.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
Some DMR repeaters are setup with talk groups that always pass traffic and others that are PTT(15) enabled. Meaning they only pass traffic after you PTT. The number (15) means the time frame in minutes you can listen until it goes quite. An active QSO will keep resetting the timer. I doubt that the first PTT to "wakeup" the talk group is passed, but I don't maintain a repeater so I don't really know. An online search for the repeater you are using should show you what talk groups are PTT and how long it would be active. I am assuming the talk group you have to PTT to listen on is not already in use locally. That the operators you will hear are not using the repeater directly.
Yes 85% of the time I am listening to worldwide talk group and all of them are over seas, uk, Australia, Germany, China and so on. An example I turned my radio on this morning it was on the worldwide talk group, I heard nothing for 5 min. As soon as I keyed the repeater and got access, I could hear qso going on.its weird because I am used to FM and p25 where it just rx without the need to do anything. I'll see if I can research this local dmr repeater and see how it's setup, I was thinking it was my programming error

KE5MC

In the initial viral spread of DMR many repeaters had talk groups on all the time. It was soon noticed that non-local talk groups (example: world-wide English) were tying up the repeater and local operators could not use the repeater 'locally'. Those types of talk groups where put on a pass traffic thru from outside the geographic area on a time-out. They are called PTT talk group and have a limited listening period if there is no active local QSO for that talk group. Some repeaters take it a step further by blocking some talk groups with a lot of activity outside the geographic area of the repeater.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
In the initial viral spread of DMR many repeaters had talk groups on all the time. It was soon noticed that non-local talk groups (example: world-wide English) were tying up the repeater and local operators could not use the repeater 'locally'. Those types of talk groups where put on a pass traffic thru from outside the geographic area on a time-out. They are called PTT talk group and have a limited listening period if there is no active local QSO for that talk group. Some repeaters take it a step further by blocking some talk groups with a lot of activity outside the geographic area of the repeater.
Is there unmute settings in cps to adjust because, I am seeing this unmute issue across all DMR rptrs, and even when using simplex. An example this morning I am listening to ww91, and I hear one transmission than radio goes silent until I key up the repeater. It's a real pain to have to constantly key the radio just to hear traffic.

KE5MC

Not a common radio talked about on this forum or QRZ. If timing out on simplex then must be Pd682 setting. I can't image the value of having a receive timeout unless it's some kind of battery saver setting, but why go to the extreme of a standby low power mode that does not wake on receive. If you figure it out the repeaters will still have PTT talk group setup by the trustee and for them there is no way around that administrative setup at the repeater.
Good Luck!

ottosykora

where I live, we have a region, group of repeaters, where we can switch on the 91 just within 2hrs once a week. The rest of the time it is not av.
The admin can do this if he finds it necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.