• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

PD982 Hiss when volume at 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ke6yjc

Premium Subscriber
I use my PD982 at the office to monitor local repeater traffic and have to turn the volume all the way down all the way down sometimes when I get a phone call or I'm trying to talk to a co-worker. I've noticed that the even though I have set the CPS software Min Volume setting to Off that there is still a very noticeable hiss emitting from the radio. Does anyone know of a way to turn this off on the radio?

MSS-Dave

Do you have the latest firmware installed? 8.00.06.007 is the latest. I've see a discussion on this, might be in this forum so search back a bit. I've sold 1 PD982 but I didn't get a chance to even look at it before it went out. I have a PD782 but it does not have that issue.

Are you using the "always treble boost" or "LQO"? There is also digital and analog noise suppression defaulted on, you might try checking those off. I would figure these would only apply to RX but help text says RX and TX...go figure. The hiss is probably something to do with the DSP engine in the radio and some setting jacked up way too high.

ke6yjc

Premium Subscriber
Do you have the latest firmware installed? 8.00.06.007 is the latest. I've see a discussion on this, might be in this forum so search back a bit. I've sold 1 PD982 but I didn't get a chance to even look at it before it went out. I have a PD782 but it does not have that issue.

Are you using the "always treble boost" or "LQO"? There is also digital and analog noise suppression defaulted on, you might try checking those off. I would figure these would only apply to RX but help text says RX and TX...go figure. The hiss is probably something to do with the DSP engine in the radio and some setting jacked up way too high.

I don't have the always treble boost on. I'll try these settings and see what I can come up with. The firmware I have it 8.01.02.003 not sure if this is newer than 8.00.06.007? Thanks for the info!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSS-Dave

I don't have the always treble boost on. I'll try these settings and see what I can come up with. The firmware I have it 8.01.02.003 not sure if this is newer than 8.00.06.007? Thanks for the info!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, you have the very latest then. I just got that version from Hytera 2 days ago to address a new XPT site I am building. Thought it was still available only to dealers but maybe not. Wish I had a 982 radio to test with. I'd go through ALL of the RX gains I could find to see if anything would change with adjustment. Just make sure you save the CP as you have it now so you can easily go back.....

ke6yjc

Premium Subscriber

Tried to disable the settings you recommended, no dice. :/ See attachment below

Attachments

• 2017-05-09_203937.jpg
    2017-05-09_203937.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 332

n1das

I mentioned this thread to my friend who works at Hytera. He tells me this hiss is normal. It's just how they work.
I own some PD982 radios and they all behave like that. The audio is LOUD when you crank the volume up. No problem hearing the radio in loud environments. I recall the audio output is spec'd at 2.5W (rated @ 5% distortion?). That's a LOT of output from a handheld radio. That also means the audio amp stage(s) have high gain. What you are hearing is the analog audio noise floor when the volume is at 0.

It's normal with a PD982.

The PD982 is an awesome radio. :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I mentioned this thread to my friend who works at Hytera.
Its possible to send me all datasheeds who available for my Hytera Radio?
The German / European Hytera Company dont reply.

My 982 has a bit of hiss on the tone as I change channels but nothing after that.
I upgraded to 8.01.03.005 to get the single freq repeater license to load.

n1das

My 982 has a bit of hiss on the tone as I change channels but nothing after that.
I upgraded to 8.01.03.005 to get the single freq repeater license to load.

You will have the hiss whenever the audio amplifier stage is enabled. One thing I notice with my PD982 is that you have to crank the volume control way up before you get audio beyond the hiss. You get nothing nothing nothing and then loud as you crank the volume up. I do like how loud the audio is at high volume levels in noisy environments.

How expensive is the SFR license? I have V8.01.03.005 FW and the SFR and recording options are greyed out. I have a TF card (micro SD card) installed.

:)

n1das

List price is $100 for SFR. The recorder feature is $50.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Thanks.

I think the hiss people are reporting when the volume is at 0 is the noise floor of the audio input to the audio amp. It is present whenever the audio output is enabled. I suspect it is noise from digital circuitry getting into the audio path to the audio amp. I don't think updating the firmware will fix it. Absolutely love the radio though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I just sent in a PO to my dealer and paid 250/200 respectively....
Thats why I got my Radio from an Ebay Dealer and use it illegal because the legal would cost me ~50% more.

MSS-Dave

Is that the price you are selling the licenses for? I just sent in a PO to my dealer and paid 250/200 respectively....

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Tapatalk
I seriously doubt we would sell for DOUBLE the list price but some folks do that to cover time prepping the order and research, etc, etc.

I seriously doubt we would sell for DOUBLE the list price but some folks do that to cover time prepping the order and research, etc, etc.

Well if those are the prices dealers get, then I'm paying well over double for the sfr, and triple for the recording. I ordered a bunch of other physical items so I can't even say it's justified for time spent ordering. If your company / company you work for does small orders, would you mind PMing the details? I'll add it/them to my list when I'm doing RFQs.

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.