[.pdf] Official Law Enforcement Communications Handbook [.pdf]

Would you be interested in similar content like this?

• Yes

Votes: 26 74.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AuToGrApHzZz

Premium Subscriber
Hello all!

I realize I hardly ever post but hopefully this post can help break that habit. To keep things short, one of my many skills involves public records laws (e.g. the California Public Records Act or Freedom of Information Act) as well as other open government laws. For those that are unaware, I am a paralegal and pre-law student and I enjoy my profession extensively.

Anyways, back to the story. One day when I was listening to the RED talkgroup on CCCS I had an idea: request and distribute policy guides for public safety radio systems. Often times these guides are rich with information: everything from the radio fleet map to official radio code and unit designators.

This being said, (and this is the really short version, see the links below for a complete narrative) I decided to request the Orange County Sheriff-Coroner Department's ("OCSD") Official Law Enforcement Communications handbook. Now, anyone that knows CPRA or FOIA knows that law enforcement agencies rarely, if ever, release records in full with one request - even though the law requires them to do so. In any event I worked with the OCSD, requesting reconsideration of their request based on the lack of potential harm that might be caused by release and to secure the release of the entire handbook, which is now available through my organization's website and my public Google drive account. These documents contain a wealth of information - some of which might be suitable for inclusion in the Orange County RR Wiki or CCCS database.

If anybody finds this information useful and would like similar information, please do not hesitate to contact me through my organization's website or via PM on RadioReference.

Links:

Folder with all documents accumulated during the CPRA process: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1RK4s-qAnQdd2xrY3JsbWc0SXM&usp=sharing

Final, unredacted handboook: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1RK4s-qAnQdemJZeEhuX1kxWU0/view?usp=sharing

Article announcing release: Communications Campaign: Orange County Law Enforcement Communications Handbook Released in Full

Article outlining request and first redacted release: Communications Campaign: Orange County Law Enforcement Communications Handbook

I apologize in advance for the brief, and poorly written, posting however it is Christmas Eve and I wanted to get these documents public as soon as possible. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me via PM or through Madison & Associates (or by posting a public response).

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!

PS: Feel free to share the files discussed in the foregoing as long as due credit is provided to Madison & Associates.

Last edited:

AuToGrApHzZz

Premium Subscriber
Scannerstuff Southern California 3rd edition has this same stuff....with more info.. The O.C.S.D. Gave you some stuff to keep you quiet. Merry Xmas

You obviously didn't read the documents in their entirety. Please respect my work enough to actually read what you are talking about before you reply. It is very insulting considering you are actually wrong. Much of this information is not in the Scannerstuff guide - which I own and is out of print and arguably out of date.

Edit: I also specifically requested this document so I don't really see how they "gave you some stuff to keep you quiet" where I received exactly what I requested.

I don't really celebrate but Happy Holidays.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
In Orange County the horse (encryption) already left the barn and shutting the door is going to be ineffective. They gave you a document because they were forced to. Without being able to listen to the system what harm can be done by releasing their comm handbook? With other agencies that still have the horse in the barn, will the release of similar documents cause them to consider encryption more than they otherwise would have? That is the only downside I see so I didn't vote.

I would like to see the unit identifier system outlines of a lot of agencies, in particular the natural resource/land management agencies of the federal and state governments. The California Dept. of Fish and Wildlife and Yosemite National Park come to mind. I listen to both and could decipher them better with a unit IDer plan. Before I retired I could email National Forest and National Park dispatchers and get the information. Now as a wasabe in an era of increased secrecy my status means nothing. I often say that my retiree identification will get me a $2 cup of coffee in places that charge a dollar a cup.

I would hate to add to the encryption trend. DFW has legitimate reasons to encrypt theirs, but hasn't yet. I think the release of their comm plan would result in harm to wildlife. If enough people ask for info and get it with information being shared with everyone, poaching might become easier.

Last edited:

AuToGrApHzZz

Premium Subscriber
In Orange County the horse (encryption) already left the barn and shutting the door is going to be ineffective. [We still have Red =)] They gave you a document because they were forced to. [Not exactly, they could have easily denied certain sections or outright denied my request for reconsideration - leaving a vast majority of the useful information devoid. In the end they decided not to argue because I presented worthy arguments, they don't want a lawsuit, and they feel they have nothing to hide argue - which is something I admire from a public agency.] Without being able to listen to the system what harm can be done by releasing their comm handbook? [Honestly, I don't really understand why they denied my request partially to begin with. I could see the dispatch phone numbers and information being redacted but other than that the information should be public.] With other agencies that still have the horse in the barn, will the release of similar documents cause them to consider encryption more than they otherwise would have? That is the only downside I see so I didn't vote. [I understand your quandary completely. However, consider that many agencies already provide their communication policies online (if not their entire police policy manual) including LAPD (non encrypted), Glendale PD (non encrypted to my understanding), Garden Grove PD (encrypted unless on RED), Anaheim PD (same as GGPD), Fullerton PD (same as GGPD) and several others. It is certainly a possibly, I will not lie. But in my opinion it would be selfish to request this information for personal use and not release it - especially where the law expressly requires that once a document is public (by accident or not) it must be consistently released to anybody who requests it. So the simple answer is: maybe but should we forego our rights to knowledge based on a speculitive possibility? I don't know for sure but I think (and hope) not.]

I would like to see the unit identifier system outlines of a lot of agencies, [me too] in particular the natural resource/land management agencies of the federal and state governments. The California Dept. of Fish and Wildlife and Yosemite National Park come to mind. [I will start a list tomorrow with requests - those will be the first and if I have any questions would you be cool providing some clarification?] I listen to both and could decipher them better with a unit IDer plan. Before I retired I could email National Forest and National Park dispatchers and get the information. Now as a wasabe in an era of increased secrecy my status means nothing. I often say that my retiree identification will get me a $2 cup of coffee in places that charge a dollar a cup. [I feel your pain but policies are so strict nowadays. In the DA's office you can't access files your not assigned to and you cannot e-mail attachments over a MB or so without supervisor authorization.]

I would hate to add to the encryption trend. DFW has legitimate reasons to encrypt theirs, but hasn't yet.[Always think financials =)] I think the release of their comm plan would result in harm to wildlife. [A legitimate reason to deny release of records in some instances] If enough people ask for info and get it with information being shared with everyone, poaching might become easier. [This is true and exactly why I like to work with agencies to really determine what will adversely effect their agency. I do not want anybody to get fired, yelled at, or hurt because information is in the wrong hands. But, I believe in the laws and believe they are tailed to adequately ensure the public's "interest in disclosure outweighs the public's interest in nondisclosure." Some may disagree and that is totally awesome, I mean that's what the USA is all about. I might not agree with what you say but I will fight for your right to say it. =)]

Thanks for the response! Excuse the briefness of this response as I am heading off to bed...

I have addressed your main responses in brackets above. The short answer is: the documents should be public, for the most part. All that needs to be done is request the records. This is not, however, that simple. The request must be tickled, argued, followed-up on, and, in some instances, pursued in court. Different laws provide different leniency in different areas. Federal law is pretty strict on anything LEO and gives a lot of discretion, but it can be appealed to a different division and there is a lot of leverage with the National Archives and various politicians. The California law is strict in areas, does not allow for appeals, has different cost determinations or timelines, but it provides for a "public interest" balancing test. This test can be met by showing that the Radio Reference community as a whole cares about the content and will not be using it maliciously. Both laws have weaknesses and strengths and all I am offering is my services to request records to the fullest extent of my abilities short of direct legal action (if I feel it is appropriate I will refer it to organizations that may pursue legal action, or if someone donates money to fund the litigation legal action may occur).

That being said, there is a lot of finesse in making requests. From knowing the law, having proper authorities, being articulate, persuasive, and simply working with, and understanding, the issue from the agencies perspective, pursuing (not merely making) a request is a delicate process. In my opinion however, the release of the records serves a legitimate purpose that is the root of all open access laws: the people's business is, indeed, the people's business. You pay for what LEO, Fire and, EMS do and you should have a right to understand how they do it - to a reasonable extent.

By reaching out to the RR community all I am looking for is guidance. What does the public want? I will deliver what the public wants. All I am asking for is some understanding and information. Nobody can predict how a law will be interpreted - if they could, we wouldn't have contested lawsuits. So just understand that I cannot promise or represent anything, I can only pursue a request on the behalf of myself and the public at large. With RR community's guidance, arguments purporting to support release of records will be bolstered by showing a demonstrable public interest - something other than me merely blowing smoke up a one-way street (if you know what I mean). I might also need assistance understanding what type of information is being requested so I can better advocate for its release (if I don't know what something is it can be very hard to request it).

So yea, sorry if I got off topic. I was literally hitting the hay when I saw your reply and then the fingers started moving all over the keyboard. I look forward to your response and I appreciate your constructive feedback and legitimate concerns.

avdrummerboy

Dude, this is nice, and don't listen to the encryption naysayers, this is all public information anyway. Any chance you have or could look into San Bernardino county Fire and Sheriff radio stuff??

scottyhetzel

You obviously didn't read the documents in their entirety. Please respect my work enough to actually read what you are talking about before you reply. It is very insulting considering you are actually wrong. Much of this information is not in the Scannerstuff guide - which I own and is out of print and arguably out of date.

Edit: I also specifically requested this document so I don't really see how they "gave you some stuff to keep you quiet" where I received exactly what I requested.

I don't really celebrate but Happy Holidays.

I read most of it...I did not grab my scannerstuff book to compare exactly , word for word. I guess I will have to read all your hyper links again. I / we appreciate you writing letters to get info..

Have a great new year than...

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well first I want to give you a lot of credit by getting the ball rolling in this forum. I too have been on this RR site for many years now and have been a resident of Orange County for 35 years now. I have this seen this county go from being in the clear with re-guards to LE communications to a flip of the switch over night back in 2001. All of Orange County Law Enforcement has been fully digital (Encrypted) for the past roughly 14 years now and it’s completely un-acceptable from being a law a bidding citizen. I completely understand why certain LE talk-groups need to be secure. I get it from a safety aspect. But to be 100 percent fully Encrypted except for the (RED) talk-group The County of Orange went over-board. At the time when Orange County was in the process of the switch from conventional LE Law Enforcement frequencies to switching over to their flagship (800) trunking system this was a big leap for them. I think they were the first county to use encryption nationwide. Also, this was the time when sheriff “Mike Corona” was our dirt bag sheriff. If you google his name you will see why. He is doing time in a federal state prison in Colorado for multiple charges. I can see why he was a big fan of going fully digital encrypted. This was to completely lock down their communications and hide behind the curtain. I will speak my mind until I am blue in the face about Orange County fully locking out their law abiding citizens. I did live in condo complex where Christopher Doner ambushed two college students in their car and murdered them. I heard LE swarming the area and as a citizen it took almost 24 hours to hear a statement that there was a wack job on the loose killing people and COPS. This is completely un-acceptable not knowing what is going on since we citizens are completely locked out from hearing routine traffic on Irvine PD – Green 1 talkgroups. Nothing was ever broadcasted over (RED) or OCACCESS on their VHF patch conventional frequencies.
In these days and ages I get why we need some encryption. Keep the Green – 1 talkgroups open and lock down the Green-2 and Green – 3’s for law tacticals for each OC LE agencies. It makes sense. When it comes to the ORANGE-GRAY-BLACK and Purple talkgroups it makes sense to keep secure communications. This Encryption in Orange County is a very hush hush thing with county workers and employee’s. I have sat through meetings from time to time and people have wanted to ask the questions and the higher up and the top brass officials curl their toes and lock up and move to a different topic real quick. They don’t want to talk about it or get into a discussion about why they use full encryption.
Unfortunately once the airwaves went silent that was the end of the road. But you never know what will happen down the road. I know for sure that the CCCS system is going through a major upgrade to their Type II Smart Zone system to probably a Phase I FDMA system or Phase II TDMA. This is most likely happening in 2018 to 2019 for sure, no questions. They need to re-band first and that is in the process of happening right now.
I think it will be an up-hill battle to change anything legally with re-guards to their communications but anything is worth the try. Their fight back will be that they have VHF – 800 – UHF and ITAC Interops and patching capabilities with their 800 mhz system in-case they ever get into a jam. Also, they will fight back and say that we have some LE talkgroups in the clear like (RED) (Sheriffs Transit Ops) and (Silver 1 JWA Airport LE OPS). Never understood why Sherrifs Ops and Silver 1 is in the Clear. Makes absolutely no sense. But this decision was made 14 years ago. So go Figure.
Good discussions and good to hear from a law firm putting a little fire under the OCSD belly. They need to be challenged and hope to see more to come soon.

disp10

Premium Subscriber
Nice work! I have made a few PRA requests myself for one thing or another.Fantastic idea. Keep up the good work!

AuToGrApHzZz

Premium Subscriber
Well first I want to give you a lot of credit by getting the ball rolling in this forum. I too have been on this RR site for many years now and have been a resident of Orange County for 35 years now. I have this seen this county go from being in the clear with re-guards to LE communications to a flip of the switch over night back in 2001. All of Orange County Law Enforcement has been fully digital (Encrypted) for the past roughly 14 years now and it’s completely un-acceptable from being a law a bidding citizen. I completely understand why certain LE talk-groups need to be secure. I get it from a safety aspect. But to be 100 percent fully Encrypted except for the (RED) talk-group The County of Orange went over-board. At the time when Orange County was in the process of the switch from conventional LE Law Enforcement frequencies to switching over to their flagship (800) trunking system this was a big leap for them. I think they were the first county to use encryption nationwide. Also, this was the time when sheriff “Mike Corona” was our dirt bag sheriff. If you google his name you will see why. He is doing time in a federal state prison in Colorado for multiple charges. I can see why he was a big fan of going fully digital encrypted. This was to completely lock down their communications and hide behind the curtain. I will speak my mind until I am blue in the face about Orange County fully locking out their law abiding citizens. I did live in condo complex where Christopher Doner ambushed two college students in their car and murdered them. I heard LE swarming the area and as a citizen it took almost 24 hours to hear a statement that there was a wack job on the loose killing people and COPS. This is completely un-acceptable not knowing what is going on since we citizens are completely locked out from hearing routine traffic on Irvine PD – Green 1 talkgroups. Nothing was ever broadcasted over (RED) or OCACCESS on their VHF patch conventional frequencies.
In these days and ages I get why we need some encryption. Keep the Green – 1 talkgroups open and lock down the Green-2 and Green – 3’s for law tacticals for each OC LE agencies. It makes sense. When it comes to the ORANGE-GRAY-BLACK and Purple talkgroups it makes sense to keep secure communications. This Encryption in Orange County is a very hush hush thing with county workers and employee’s. I have sat through meetings from time to time and people have wanted to ask the questions and the higher up and the top brass officials curl their toes and lock up and move to a different topic real quick. They don’t want to talk about it or get into a discussion about why they use full encryption.
Unfortunately once the airwaves went silent that was the end of the road. But you never know what will happen down the road. I know for sure that the CCCS system is going through a major upgrade to their Type II Smart Zone system to probably a Phase I FDMA system or Phase II TDMA. This is most likely happening in 2018 to 2019 for sure, no questions. They need to re-band first and that is in the process of happening right now.
I think it will be an up-hill battle to change anything legally with re-guards to their communications but anything is worth the try. Their fight back will be that they have VHF – 800 – UHF and ITAC Interops and patching capabilities with their 800 mhz system in-case they ever get into a jam. Also, they will fight back and say that we have some LE talkgroups in the clear like (RED) (Sheriffs Transit Ops) and (Silver 1 JWA Airport LE OPS). Never understood why Sherrifs Ops and Silver 1 is in the Clear. Makes absolutely no sense. But this decision was made 14 years ago. So go Figure.
Good discussions and good to hear from a law firm putting a little fire under the OCSD belly. They need to be challenged and hope to see more to come soon.

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. Trust me as a fellow Irvinite/Tustinite I know how bad things have gotten. Some LEO needs to be encrypted - others not. Regardless, we need to understand what we can hear. Could you imagine if the 10 codes were classified? Anyways, just to clarify, I AM NOT A LAWYER (don't need the Cal Bar crawling up my ***), just a paralegal and my organization is merely a public interest/contracting group. Some of the encryption decisions are indeed stupid, and as you noted, attributable to the corruption within the department previously.

With regards to other corruption, I know all to well. I don't want to publicly inflame any municipality but trust me, whenever someone needs a document from certain cities I cringe. I an glad however, that OCSD made the right choice in releasing the documents in accordance with law.

AuToGrApHzZz

Premium Subscriber
Dude, this is nice, and don't listen to the encryption naysayers, this is all public information anyway. Any chance you have or could look into San Bernardino county Fire and Sheriff radio stuff??

I have OCFA and MetroNet on my list but I will definitely add SB County. As I mentioned earlier, I am unfamiliar with some of these agencies (like what is encrypted and whatnot) but I will do my best. I am working on putting up a little form for people to submit ideas and other information that would tend to demonstrate a public interest in favor of release.

Thanks for the reply!

AuToGrApHzZz

Premium Subscriber
Outstanding document, thanks for doing the work to get it released!

No problem! I appreciate the feedback.

I was wondering though, on a larger scale, does RR use FOIA and like laws to get database and frequency information? I know a lot is posted online by the FCC but I am sure there are instances where a little more information would be useful.

If you guys have any needs or ideas feel free to run them through me. School starts on Jan. 21 so I am trying to get as much stuff in motion while I am on break.

AuToGrApHzZz

Premium Subscriber
As I promised, here is a link to make recommendations as to what we request next:

Communications Campaign Submission Page

PS: I apologize for the terribly small font. I will try and get that fixed (might not happen though). Sorry if its too small for you.

I will go ahead and update this post, and if it's okay, make a new thread for requests?

AuToGrApHzZz

Premium Subscriber
Not to be flaky here but some of these requests might incur some costs. I will try to get the costs waived but the California Public Records Act does not provide for a statutory fee waiver (unlike the Freedom of Information Act at the federal level) - its all discretionary and some agencies will not waive the fees. Just a heads up, if the agencies start asking for fees I can cover an extent but I may need some donations. It just came to my mind after seeing how extensive some of these requests are.

Anyways, I am working on them at the moment!

pepsima1

Banned
Oh and BTW I obtained one of those GREEN hand books from OC Law Enforcement about a year ago and if you read it you can get an understanding on how the CCCS system works and what happens if they have to use the failover system. Not much in the handbook to leak any secrets on their 800 MHz system since all of LE uses Encryption anyways. All of their people are brain washed over there anyways. Strange Breed for sure. IMHO

Since all of OCFA and surrounding Orange County Fire Departments are Analog in the clear their ORANGE Handbook is really nice booklet to have since Fire Department Employee's are cool people. I think in previous posts or forums I think the handbook is posted somewhere on RR for people to have as a guide.

OCSD GREEN Handbook is nice to have when you have to scramble for something to use when you run out of toilet paper and you are in a stressful pinch.

AuToGrApHzZz

Premium Subscriber
Oh and BTW I obtained one of those GREEN hand books from OC Law Enforcement about a year ago and if you read it you can get an understanding on how the CCCS system works and what happens if they have to use the failover system. Not much in the handbook to leak any secrets on their 800 MHz system since all of LE uses Encryption anyways. All of their people are brain washed over there anyways. Strange Breed for sure. IMHO

Since all of OCFA and surrounding Orange County Fire Departments are Analog in the clear their ORANGE Handbook is really nice booklet to have since Fire Department Employee's are cool people. I think in previous posts or forums I think the handbook is posted somewhere on RR for people to have as a guide.

OCSD GREEN Handbook is nice to have when you have to scramble for something to use when you run out of toilet paper and you are in a stressful pinch.

I am sending out an OCFA request this weekend. I have requested from them in the past. Could you elaborate on the names of the handbooks you are referring to? Are they entitled "Green Handbook" and so forth? If you could provide some more information that sounds like something everybody on here could enjoy. Honestly as far as LEO (and fire) is concerned, most of them don't really care how the radio works as long as it works. I bet you if I asked all of the LEO in my family and that I know they would tell you they have no idea what frequency or network configuration they are working with.

But yea, I would really appreciate some follow-up on the names of those guides. If I could edit my OCFA request to include that information it might provide for an interesting read/reference. Thanks!

PS: I printed out the official code and mnemonics from the OCSD guide and I use that whenever I monitor Fire, EMS, Animal Control, Red, or JWA as all of the codes are the same (I think). I mean a 914C is a 914C (need coroner).

pepsima1

Banned
I am sending out an OCFA request this weekend. I have requested from them in the past. Could you elaborate on the names of the handbooks you are referring to? Are they entitled "Green Handbook" and so forth? If you could provide some more information that sounds like something everybody on here could enjoy. Honestly as far as LEO (and fire) is concerned, most of them don't really care how the radio works as long as it works. I bet you if I asked all of the LEO in my family and that I know they would tell you they have no idea what frequency or network configuration they are working with.

But yea, I would really appreciate some follow-up on the names of those guides. If I could edit my OCFA request to include that information it might provide for an interesting read/reference. Thanks!

PS: I printed out the official code and mnemonics from the OCSD guide and I use that whenever I monitor Fire, EMS, Animal Control, Red, or JWA as all of the codes are the same (I think). I mean a 914C is a 914C (need coroner).

The GREEN handbook is the same guide that you requested from the OCSD. It must have been scanned and sent to you by a PDF doc.

These little handbooks are available to all of OCSD police and surround LE agencies in Orange County. Its GREEN.

The ORANGE little handbooks are all giving out to Orange County Fire Agency personnel if they want it.

Its kind of like a cheap sheet book or a radio guide for dummies if employee's that use the radio network need to understand on how it works and how to use the different Zones and channels on their Motorola trunked radios.

There is also a YELLOW book that is for OCRACES Volunteers for all of HAM radio frequencies that are used in each Orange County cities. There are ham radio operators that operate in pretty much every OC city. These volunteers support agencies in case of a major disaster. Pretty much old guy's that volunteer their time for different cities.

AuToGrApHzZz

Premium Subscriber
The GREEN handbook is the same guide that you requested from the OCSD. It must have been scanned and sent to you by a PDF doc.

These little handbooks are available to all of OCSD police and surround LE agencies in Orange County. Its GREEN.

The ORANGE little handbooks are all giving out to Orange County Fire Agency personnel if they want it.

Its kind of like a cheap sheet book or a radio guide for dummies if employee's that use the radio network need to understand on how it works and how to use the different Zones and channels on their Motorola trunked radios.

There is also a YELLOW book that is for OCRACES Volunteers for all of HAM radio frequencies that are used in each Orange County cities. There are ham radio operators that operate in pretty much every OC city. These volunteers support agencies in case of a major disaster. Pretty much old guy's that volunteer their time for different cities.

Are these guides color coded or something? I have not heard of the names like that. Are these already available or should I request them? Also, does the Green book vary from agency to agency or is it a standard booklet that may be distributed to any LEO agency utilizing the CCCS?

I am intrigued. Tell me more, please!

pepsima1

Banned
Are these guides color coded or something? I have not heard of the names like that. Are these already available or should I request them? Also, does the Green book vary from agency to agency or is it a standard booklet that may be distributed to any LEO agency utilizing the CCCS?

I am intrigued. Tell me more, please!

Yes.

The Law Enforcement Guide is 1 guide and is distributed to all of Orange County and its GREEN. This is the guide that was sent to you that you asked for.

The Fire Departments for Orange County is the ORANGE Guide.

The HAM radio operators for Orange County is Yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.