pdt scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

baggintag

Hello,

The Chicago Police Department now uses the portable data terminal (pdt) in addition to the standard radio tranciever. I notice that most of the "good stuff " now goes through the pdt. The old 'stick radios' are being used less and less. Therefore, I have to wonder, is traditional police scanning dead or is there a technology that will allow scanning enthusiasts to monitor police activity on the portable data terminal.

Thank you

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
It is illegal to monitor MDT (Mobile Data Terminal), or PDT as you/CPD call, it traffic, not that you even could if you wanted to because all of it is encrypted.

baggintag

Thank you for your response.

So it would seem that scanning is a dying hobby. I mean just about any content - other than basic conversation between base station and units - is now handled on the MDT. Whereas in the past, you could listen to the details of an operation from the roll call to the deployment of units to the final conclusion - usually arrest of offenders - all on your handy Radio Shack Pro 90 - for instance. Now all that is relegated to the MDT. As for encryption, the introduction of digital scanners was a problem with trunk tracking for a time but I understand the Ericcson EDACS scanner can accomodate the digital encryptions. But the fact that the MDT is a computer is the intriguing part. I guess because it's all ' on your box,' we can throw away our scanners? 'I put it on your box' is all you now hear in place of details when the base replies to inquiries from units in the field.

Thanks again for your reply.

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Keep in mind that a MDT (mobile data terminal) is not used in all areas of the state and not at all in some.
They will never completely replace radio communications,but will surely supplement it.
n9zas

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Yep. MDT (Mobile Data Terminal) and hodgepodge of other du jour acronyms that describe the nonsense do kill a lot of coms. In Fort Collins, CO. the PD use MDTs, and I can tell you the airwaves are pretty much dead.

Begs the Q: Why ENC?

JoeyC

The PDs in my area use MDC (Mobile Data Computers) extensively and radio traffic couldn't be more exciting. Gone are the days where we have to listen to cops run wants and license checks on everybody in the car they pulled over (yawn).

here in philly,PPD has MDTs in the units,,most of em anyway,,i think theyre
Motorola ML900's,,(PWD-water dept uses ITRONIX ix260's-gobook2's maybe 3s)

theres still tons of traffic over the radios,the MDTs are,i think, for reports,having
jobs -Dropped Down- to the MDTs for calls,or receiving flash for current priorities..

i hear a lot of license-warrant checks,registration checks and CCW-concealed carry
permit checks through each districts dispatch..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.