PDW bogus data

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlieone

Hey all.

I've been noticing that after 12-24 hours of running PDW the decoding percentage drops off to 60% or less. After a fresh re-start of the computer, not just PDW, I get 100% decode again.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm looking for a better solution that just restarting the computer every day.

Attachments

• pdw.JPG
    pdw.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 705

SCPD

QRT
Just curious why you monitor pager traffic?. It's not legal and pretty stupid in my opinion.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Ah, the Self Appointed Radio Reference Police....

I could never get it to work for me, but I do know from others that the success rate depends on reception and possibly what you have going on in the background of your computer. Try adjusting/upgrading your antenna or using a dedicated computer.

TEKurtz

He's correct, I had previously looked up this topic and found it's illegal to monitor a telephone call, pager traffic and anything encrypted.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Definately sounds like a computer issue rather than a PDW issue. Is it new to your setup or has it happened since you started using PDW? You could bump PDW back a version fairly easily, but be sure to save your filter file as they are not compatible between versions. The other way would be to shut down Windows programs until you did not run into a problem. Other than those suggestions, I can't help you.

chris

charlieone

Definately sounds like a computer issue rather than a PDW issue. Is it new to your setup or has it happened since you started using PDW? You could bump PDW back a version fairly easily, but be sure to save your filter file as they are not compatible between versions. The other way would be to shut down Windows programs until you did not run into a problem. Other than those suggestions, I can't help you.

chris

It's not a particularly new phenomenon, but I have noticed it happening in 24 hours more frequently. The computer also hosts a couple of audio feeds. It might be time to dedicate a computer...

cg

Premium Subscriber
I like the Thin Clients for dedicated radio stuff. They are relatively cheap and almost always have real serial ports for something like a 4 level decoder.

chris

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
The "garbage" pages you are getting are due to the input level being either too high or low.. Another issue is noise on the paging channel.. If the freq is shared with another carrier or is site selective, you could be trying to decode a noisey signal..Usually the level is too high..

As for decoding being legal.. It is if you are decoding a Public Safety paging system..

Status
Not open for further replies.