PDW PDW Windows 10 - Slicer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CYUL

Premium Subscriber
Hi All

Has anyone developed or found a solution to get PDW to work on Win10 using an Slicer?

Argh!!: Admin, sorry, posted in wrong forum, should have been in SDR. Apologies!

Thanks

Last edited:

CanesFan95

So you've got a data slicer with a discriminator tap on a scanner and a COM port on your PC? Go to Interface > Setup..., check the box and choose your COM port. But you really don't need a data slicer or serial port. You can just plug a stereo cord from the scanner discriminator output to the mic or line-in jack on the PC.

1600525490416.png

polkaroo

Missed him again!
I find using FMP24 (from DSDPlus Fastlane) via VBCable to PDW results in quite low overhead for CPU usage as well.

Although what would be awesome is a SDR tuner that could feed PDW via a virtual serial port. PDW is extremely flaky at decoding. Has anyone figured out what the various "Configurations" for sound card input do? I assume EQ settings but everyone says "just play around with it until you find the most reliable setting."

air-scan

Test VBCable make sure it's not stuttering clicking or popping. Do that by setting a music player to output to the VBCable input and select listen to this device in it's properties window. If you do then there's the problem. If so, remove it and install Virtual Audio Cables Lite it's the free version with limited to 1 virtual cable no time limits.

I had that experience with VB-Audio. Problem went away with Virtual Audio Cables Lite. That problem can mess up decodes or no decodes.

CanesFan95

I've had good luck decoding with SDR# Sharp feeding PDW with VBCable. Using an AirSpy with FMPA didn't work well thought because FMPA doesn't let you turn off auto frequency centering. So FMPA keeps jumping around a little on pager frequencies and PDW can't decode that well.

CYUL

Premium Subscriber
So you've got a data slicer with a discriminator tap on a scanner and a COM port on your PC? Go to Interface > Setup..., check the box and choose your COM port. But you really don't need a data slicer or serial port. You can just plug a stereo cord from the scanner discriminator output to the mic or line-in jack on the PC.

View attachment 91596
Soundcard is ok for POCSAG but will not work very well , if at all, on FLEX

CYUL

Premium Subscriber
Test VBCable make sure it's not stuttering clicking or popping. Do that by setting a music player to output to the VBCable input and select listen to this device in it's properties window. If you do then there's the problem. If so, remove it and install Virtual Audio Cables Lite it's the free version with limited to 1 virtual cable no time limits.

I had that experience with VB-Audio. Problem went away with Virtual Audio Cables Lite. That problem can mess up decodes or no decodes.

I've been running Airspy through the VB into PDW with exceptionally good results on all modes, including FLEX 6400. The issue I have with the SDR is the lower sensitivity compared to ICOM IC-R8500 - which is to be expected. So this makes decoding distant pager towers difficult through PDW.

Last edited:

air-scan

I've been running Airspy through the VB into PDW with exceptionally good results on all modes, including FLEX 6400. The issue I have with the SDR is the lower sensitivity compared to ICOM IC-R8500 - which is to be expected. So this makes decoding distant pager towers difficult through PDW.
VB-Audio has a reputation for stutters. Just look at their support forums. I have had no problem decoding POCSAG and FLEX with PDW in the past with a RTL-SDR.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber

I have used AirSpy with SDRSharp with VBCable here also into PDW. Never ever a single stutter or missed decoding. One has to use the right bandwidth and perhaps turn off audio filtering.

Status
Not open for further replies.