• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Peak tuning a CB

Status
Not open for further replies.

DX949

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Question = Is peak tuning a CB illigal

N

N_Jay

Yes, No, Maybe.

It is not illegal to tune a radio to operate within its specifications.

It is illegal to tune a radio to operate outside its specifications.

It is not possible to tell if your radio is currently at specifications, nor if it has the potential to be tuned "better" than specifications, nor if the person doing the work knows the difference.

kb2vxa

Banned
The radio comes properly aligned from the factory so it meets all design specifications and legal requirements. Now draw your own conclusions.

N

N_Jay

The radio comes properly aligned from the factory so it meets all design specifications and legal requirements. Now draw your own conclusions.

You have assumed the radio was "perfectly tuned" from the factory.

A fair assumption today, but a less than fair assumption in the yesteryear and depending on the brand.

You ave assumed that the radio has not drifted from its factory tune since it came off the line.

Also a fair assumption today, but certainly not a very good assumption for a older radio been subjected to vibration and heat/cool cycles.

It is not fair to ask some one to draw conclusions, when you don't state the assumptions. ;);)

DX949

Banned
Not good enough Warren,

DX949

Banned
You have assumed the radio was "perfectly tuned" from the factory.

A fair assumption today, but a less than fair assumption in the yesteryear and depending on the brand.

You ave assumed that the radio has not drifted from its factory tune since it came off the line.

Also a fair assumption today, but certainly not a very good assumption for a older radio been subjected to vibration and heat/cool cycles.

It is not fair to ask some one to draw conclusions, when you don't state the assumptions. ;);)

Peaking the radio at 100% modulation if its set at factory at 80%,and not playing with the final 4 watts,is what i should of ask,now with that being said,is that illegal N_jay ?

N

N_Jay

It all depends.

If the design has a limiter you should be able to set the modulation close to 100%.
How are you measuring it?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
It's CB. It begs the question "who cares"?

However, in Canada I'm pretty sure (in fact, very certain) it is illegal for someone to muddle with transmitter settings unless you are a radio technician. Just the same as it is illegal to do so with Amateur gear unless you hold an Advanced qualification.

cfr301

HUMOR LINE_____________________

I always found that My CB was best Tuned when I was splattering so bad that I was being heard in the Neighbors Fridge and or Sewing machine,LOL!! Then I went to a directional antenna and began broadcasting to the rest home across the street. They just loved that! Ahhh back in the day, a 1011D and a 1011D Amp..yes those were the days...LOL
Begs the Question is Siltronics Still in business?

N

N_Jay

Just the same as it is illegal to do so with Amateur gear unless you hold an Advanced qualification.

Are you saying that until the advanced level you are unable to build home-brew ham equipment?:confused:

kb2vxa

Banned
Absolutely correct HUB, nothing is ever good enough for N_Jay (;->) although my statement is good enough for government work when it comes to giving a satisfactory explanation to the less technically inclined among us.

I've been hanging around the shop quite long enough to be perhaps a bit overly familiar with component drift and in manufacturing long enough to know how transformers and inductors are pre-tuned before assembly and little to nothing is aligned as a complete unit. I also happen to have working knowledge of how some newly wound coils can drift completely out of spec between the time I tuned them and the government inspector sat beside me during the acceptance certification testing, one of those how the hell did this happen moments. Actually it's relaxation of winding stresses but who besides me needs to know that?

OK, now that I have satisfied N_Jay's compulsive obsession with correcting me (;->) I'll sit back on my initial statement knowing full well (up close and personal shop experience) that a proper alignment job on the bench may produce a perceptible improvement to the meters (that much I'll admit) but in the end will buy you nothing of value on the air.

The defense rests, over to the lawyer with the tweezers and the ticks. (;->)

Last edited:

DX949

Banned
It all depends.

If the design has a limiter you should be able to set the modulation close to 100%.
How are you measuring it?

If I was attempting to do so,I would turn the appropriate modulation potentiometer and monitor the CB's mod setting on the CB's panel meter prior to adjustment,if the mod indicated 80%, I would turn the potentiometer till it reached 100% on the CB's Meter.Then i would check with other CB'ers for spurious emissions and distortion.I would not go over 99% on the CB's meter if I was attempting this adjustment.
Right now my CB is indicating 70 % mod its meter.

How else could i measure it N_ Jay ?

DX949

Banned
Absolutely correct HUB, nothing is ever good enough for N_Jay (;->) although my statement is good enough for government work when it comes to giving a satisfactory explanation to the less technically inclined among us.

I've been hanging around the shop quite long enough to be perhaps a bit overly familiar with component drift and in manufacturing long enough to know how transformers and inductors are pre-tuned before assembly and little to nothing is aligned as a complete unit. I also happen to have working knowledge of how some newly wound coils can drift completely out of spec between the time I tuned them and the government inspector sat beside me during the acceptance certification testing, one of those how the hell did this happen moments. Actually it's relaxation of winding stresses but who besides me needs to know that?

OK, now that I have satisfied N_Jay's compulsive obsession with correcting me (;->) I'll sit back on my initial statement knowing full well (up close and personal shop experience) that a proper alignment job on the bench may produce a perceptible improvement to the meters (that much I'll admit) but in the end will buy you nothing of value on the air.

The defense rests, over to the lawyer with the tweezers and the ticks. (;->)

Admit all you want warren,but thats how you learn stuff,by tinkering and exploring stuff.

N

N_Jay

If I was attempting to do so,I would turn the appropriate modulation potentiometer and monitor the CB's mod setting on the CB's panel meter prior to adjustment,if the mod indicated 80%, I would turn the potentiometer till it reached 100% on the CB's Meter.Then i would check with other CB'ers for spurious emissions and distortion.I would not go over 99% on the CB's meter if I was attempting this adjustment.
Right now my CB is indicating 70 % mod its meter.

How else could i measure it N_ Jay ?

Sounds good enough for Warren.
What would you use for the modulating signal?

I would not trust the built in meter in consumer equipment for calibrating the unit.
Warren, your opinion?

N

N_Jay

You live in/near Chicago right? Isn't that the next closest thing? ;)

At least a novice or tech can still build and tune equipment.

(Shhh, I hope I did not say that loud enough for Obama to hear)

acepilot340

I wonder how many ham fans would peak/tune their ham radios if the FCC had a law that said ALL ham radios can only transmit at 0.25 watts?

Answer: Everyone because the whole point of having a radio is to be able to talk to someone that isn't within shouting distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.