PECO Energy goes P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porch

P25 or Encrypted?

Please help me understand. The reference page indicates that the transmissions are encrypted. This thread says P25. Which leads to my newbie question:

If I have a scanner like the BCD996T will I hear anything like a human voice if I program in the trunked PECO system?

Porch

FPO703

standinby said:
As both a scanner devotee and a PECO employee I too was disappointed about the move to encryption. I hate to take the party line but, as was mentioned previously, there is a pretty substantial infrastructure that could be attractive to some evildoers. Just remember the Northeast blackout from several years ago. We were spared but, New York and that metro area was in bad shape. We have to think that some one or group may want to purposely do that. Also, there is the periodic transmission of customer info that is inappropriate for the public. It's unfortunately, a sign of the times. And it really has no effect on the cost of maintenance to the facilities now.

That's why you use encryption for only those such occassions (relaying customer information). Or, use a cell phone or a lane-line phone.

In this day in age, everyone is paranoid about all this terror hype that the federal government wants everyone to worry about.

I'm sick & tired of the BS. We need the government to tell the truth not what they think we want to hear.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Porch said:
Please help me understand. The reference page indicates that the transmissions are encrypted. This thread says P25. Which leads to my newbie question:

If I have a scanner like the BCD996T will I hear anything like a human voice if I program in the trunked PECO system?

Porch

No, the scanner will not open up anything. It will simply show "ENC" for encypted. Even though the voice format IS P25, those P25 transmissions are encypted so you won't hear anything.

chankel

Premium Subscriber
PECO encryption decision

The EDACS system is still in operation here in Chester County. I have good reception off of the Kennett Square site.

I dislike the decision to go fully encrypted systemwide because it will deny scanner users valuable information about utility services, especially during outages and natural disasters; it will also mean that people won't be able to hear (and appreciate) the amount of work that PECO's field personnel do. Finally, it means that there won't be any outside oversight regarding what is said over the air by system users.

Besides, comms at the nuclear plants are not all encrypted anyway, as some readers will have noticed from other forum posts.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
chankel said:
I dislike the decision to go fully encrypted systemwide because it will deny scanner users valuable information about utility services, especially during outages and natural disasters; it will also mean that people won't be able to hear (and appreciate) the amount of work that PECO's field personnel do. Finally, it means that there won't be any outside oversight regarding what is said over the air by system users.

1-Scanner listeners are not their concern. Safe, effeicent and timely information to and from the field is.

2-Information about power outages can be obtained by calling their customer service number or by listening to a battery or vehicle powered radio, pref on a news station.

3-Yes you hear all the assignments go out, but thats about it. If you really appreciate what they are doing, go out and buy some crews some coffee, etc.

4-The FCC could really care less about what is said on the air by the utilities. Most large scale radio systems also have a recorder system setup for various reasons. Should someone have a "potty mouth" or the such, most supervisors will know who it is and will deal with them as needed. The FCC Enforcement division has better things to do with its time. If they need to start an investagation, then they will.

chankel

Premium Subscriber
Ummm...okay

PJH said:
1-Scanner listeners are not their concern. Safe, effeicent and timely information to and from the field is.

2-Information about power outages can be obtained by calling their customer service number or by listening to a battery or vehicle powered radio, pref on a news station.

3-Yes you hear all the assignments go out, but thats about it. If you really appreciate what they are doing, go out and buy some crews some coffee, etc.

4-The FCC could really care less about what is said on the air by the utilities. Most large scale radio systems also have a recorder system setup for various reasons. Should someone have a "potty mouth" or the such, most supervisors will know who it is and will deal with them as needed. The FCC Enforcement division has better things to do with its time. If they need to start an investagation, then they will.

BGE (Maryland) has been running in the clear for years on their TRS. Would you like to explain to us how running encrypted doesn't improve how safe and timely their dispatch is? And I don't want to hear the excuse about vulnerable infrastructure. Any terrorist or would be terrorist can very easily cripple a power grid without any concern over the target's communications network. However, I would rather not say how, although Gordon Liddy already has at least once - well before Sept. 11

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Previously I wrote:

"They can go encypted because they can. Plain and simple. The cost of ADP encyption in the new radios (for a system that size) is pretty negligable."

Point #1 above still applies.

I am not sure what you are getting at. I never implied that having an encypted system promotes a quicker service call. In the end, its a private system and they can do whatever they choose to do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.