Peco p25

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2SJW

Database Admin
That system totally confuses me - why in the HELL would you feel the need to encrypt utility company operations?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
That system totally confuses me - why in the HELL would you feel the need to encrypt utility company operations?

I suspect the answer is somewhere in between "because you can" and "because you got sold encryption by the salesman".

Another place I was in the past week has encryption on the transit buses on their new P25 system.. but the law enforcement is in the clear. (Mind you, the LE is still in testing phase.)

ill tell you what...

for what peco charges..(im sure its comparable to all)..they can afford the strapped ENC feature..

every peco truck i see has 1 to 4 antennas,,all 800s..new toughbooks...clean paint-decals and nice chunky new rubber all around..usually a vehicle no more than 2 yrs old...

at least the linemen are well equipped....

grumpy96

They do give out name and addresses of their customers and when they were conventional
and I quote "address? hot water heater cold No Contract" another words sock it to them

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
The encryption is probably so that we the rate payers can't listen to hear how long it takes to wake up the trouble man to clear a downed service line from the roof of a car involved in a crash!

chankel

Premium Subscriber
I suspect the encryption was purely for business reasons / because they can. However, many public safety personnel have commented (justifiably) that they no longer have any idea what PECO is up to as all they can get for urgent and emergent requests is the standard "PECO within the hour" type of response when they call in for assistance. On the old (EDACS) system everyone could hear operational status and had an idea of what was going on.

At least they could have the decency to let PSAP's access whatever their version of a CAD is so that public safety personnel can have a better idea of what is going on (much like Lancaster Co had a feed for their system when they were trying out OpenScam)

Status
Not open for further replies.