HP-2: Peculiar reception problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Just within the past couple of days, my HP-2 doesn't seem to want to pickup any transmissions when scanning from the full database, but yet "hears" everything just fine when scanning from my favorites lists. Any idea what could be causing this and, more importantly, any idea on how to correct the issue?

Thanks in advance for any info provided.

:)

Ubbe

Enter another zipcode and see that it loads new data. Open the squelch and see what frequency it stops on if it looks to be a reasonable one. Then raise the squelch again to its normal value and enter your own location again and see that it loads the new data from the DB and then open squelch again to check if you see a local frequency. Check the normal things like location control, range and service types.

/Ubbe

NOT SURE IF THIS APPLIES, BUT ...

SERVICE TYPES?...

I RUN INTO THIS WHEN FLIPPING FROM GPS BASED/W THE DATABASE AND USING MY OWN FL'S...

I NEED TO DE SELECT SERVICE TYPES FOR LOCATION BASED, OR ILL SCAN EVERYTHING...
AND TURN ALL TYPES ON TO USE MY HAND BUILT FL'S...

tvengr

Well Known Member
When scanning from the full database, the proper service types should be selected in the profile. You would probably want ones like EMS Dispatch, EMS Tac, Fire Dispatch, Fire Tac, Law Dispatch, Law Tac, and Multi-Dispatch plus anything else you want to hear to minimize the garbage.

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
Nonsense on the swapping zip codes and what not! Total nonsense. Just make sure you check appropriate service types in both whether you are using the full database or doing a FAV, whatever you are using. If you don't you could put whatever freqs and whatnot in your FAV and it just won't scan. Might want to follow up on a few posts about people wondering why their scanner isn't scanning correctly. Well, the scanner is only doing what the OP tells/wants it to do.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Have you tried updating the DB using Sentnel?

Compare the DB to the FL, what's the difference?

Yes, the DB is up to date and 99% of it matches up to my FL's. That 1% difference is mostly alpha tag labeling changes I made for description clarity. All freqs and service types match up 100%.

I'm currently at work and I just thought of this (and it may be a long shot), but I may try a new microSD card when I get home.

If I / we can't figure this out, in the overall scheme of things it's really no big deal since I don't scan from the full database all that often. I just did it the other day for giggles & grins and noticed it wasn't picking anything up,

Hit_Factor

It's possible that when scanning the full DB that there is good many items being scanned. Your FL is probably trimmed down considerably and therefore more efficient (more desired traffic).

I pretty much limit my monitoring to LE. In my FL it's just the local P25 system and only the tower closest to me.

When I turn on full DB there are lots of bands and agencies scanned that are no longer used, plus all 4 towers in my county.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Well, a new SD card has seemed to help....somewhat. It's picking up some transmissions now when scanning from the full database. Whereas before. when it was "parked" on the Illinois STARCOM-21 system and not picking up anything, the radio is now receiving stuff, although I suspect there are TG's it isn't receiving that it does receive when scanning from the FL.

Ah well, no biggie. 99% of my monitoring is via my favorites lists, so the full DB not working quite like I hoped it would is a case of 'it is what it is.' LOL :D

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Whereas before. when it was "parked" on the Illinois STARCOM-21 system and not picking up anything, the radio is now receiving stuff, although I suspect there are TG's it isn't receiving that it does receive when scanning from the FL.
When scanning from the full DB, you're limited to ID SCAN, and traffic on unlisted talkgroups is ignored. If you make a FL, you can set ID SEARCH for the system, and then hear everything on unlisted talkgroups.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Any chance the Range value could be different? (Just thinking of all possibilities, even the very remote ones).

N9JIG

Sheriff
I just learned that you can actually change this on the radio too, but only if you have the Extreme Update:

Menu>Advanced Menu>Advanced Option>Edit Favorites List>(Select the FL)>(Select the System>Edit System Options>ID Search On.

I didn't know about this until I played around with it and I was on the beta team! We are all learning!

Status
Not open for further replies.