Peel Ambulance Freq?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mciupa

Database Admin
Thanks
I picked up Peel north and south and halton but its very faint. is it my antenna?
Toronto ems is loud and clear and I live in Mississauga near the lake.

It's not your antenna. MikeOxlong gave this explanation a few years back when we brought up the modulation disparity subject , this dates back to 2005,so unless AGC has had improvements over the past four years, this explanation still stands. Hope he doesn't mind this example being used.:)

MikeOxlong said:
The problem is that the audio levels between different agencies is set differently for each agency. Your scanner needs to be able to amplify/deamplify all these different levels so you end up with a comfortable listening level. Unfortunately, none of the current scanners out there seem to adequately do this job.

The MOH crews would set their volume at a comfortable listening level at the beginning of the shift and leave it there. They don't have to deal with digital comm's from the OPP blasting them out of their seats. The OPP would have their volume set reasonably and they wouldn't have to deal with low audio from the MOH units.

Until a scanner manufacturer comes out with a better AGC system, you'll just have to deal with it.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I had a 246 for a couple of years. I never found it all that good for monitoring fleetnet.
Brittania is a wierd tower IMO. I have troubles monitoring it thru the QEW esp between Erin Mills and Missisauga road when mobile.
I lose it quickly heading west thru Oakville also.

mrweather

The faint sound can be improved by changing from FM to NFM. I did that with my 796D and it helped even out the volume level between analog (MOH, MTO roads, etc.) and digital (OPP, MTO enforcement, etc.) though digital is still louder.

While I know the 246T doesn't do P25 going to NFM will bring the overall volume up without having to crank the knob.

cosway

Premium Subscriber
how is this done?

The faint sound can be improved by changing from FM to NFM. I did that with my 796D and it helped even out the volume level between analog (MOH, MTO roads, etc.) and digital (OPP, MTO enforcement, etc.) though digital is still louder.

While I know the 246T doesn't do P25 going to NFM will bring the overall volume up without having to crank the knob.

DaveH

You can't set the modulation mode for trunking systems on the 246T, so the above advice is not applicable. Way to go Uniden!

I know this won't help the Original Poster (OP) much but was this fixed in the BC346XT?
Or possible through future firmware upgrade whereas not likely with the 246?

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.