Peel Police Digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
I was looking at RR new look in the database area and I noticed the following in Peel Police Talkgroups

16400 401 D PRPD - Tac Secure
16432 403 D PRPD - Auto Secure
16464 405 D PRPD - Intel 1
16496 407 D PRPD - Intel 2
16528 409 D PRPD - Intel 3
16560 40b D PRPD - Airport Secure
16592 40d D PRPD - TSS Secure
16624 40f D PRPD - Morality Secure

These are APOC 25 Digital, are they encrypted as well? Never bothered to play with them before..

Brian

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
First of all it's APCO25. There's no such thing as APOC25.

These talkgroups seldom get any use. When they do, it's usually been in the clear however I have heard encryption.

I'm not sure why you're asking this though? Your webpage shows these talkgroups as well:

http://www.scanner-frequency-listings.com/peel_trunked.html

I assumed you have listened to all the talkgroups listed and have identified them without having to lift them from another database?

You ask that webmasters who lift your data give proper credit to the source. It's my belief that you've lifted the data from Radioreference or some other source and you haven't given proper credit.

Some of the talkgroups listed have not been used since the system was first put online and the consoles were being tested. There's no chance that they've been heard in many, many years.

Somebody at some time has lifted these talkgroups from another source.

jellotor

Mike_Oxlong said:
You ask that webmasters who lift your data give proper credit to the source. It's my belief that you've lifted the data from Radioreference or some other source and you haven't given proper credit.

Hmmm...I'll just back Mike up here and say that *if* the trunked data has been lifted from RR.com it's still necessary for anyone looking to program the Hamilton TRS to come back to RR.com for the system frequencies!

There are a few other 'discrepancies' with your website, too. For one, I'm not sure how many of those 'TV and media' frequencies you've actually heard communications on...

And I kind of wonder about that splash page...with an advertisement for Scanner Master below the picture of a Toronto Fire truck. I'm no legal expert and I certainly have no idea about whether or not the Scanner Master ad brings in revenue to you, but I dearly hope that you've recieved official permission from the City of Toronto to use their property as a splash screen for your site.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
I listened to it a while ago and couldn't remember if i heard anything on it. Thanks for the (bashing) Feed Back Mike.... Sorry for the spelling error. (maybe you can take me out in the back woods and Shoot me)...

Jellotor The media page the data was grabbed from Industry Canada and they are the ones listed as registered, but your more then likely right most are not in actual use.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
And I kind of wonder about that splash page...with an advertisement for Scanner Master below the picture of a Toronto Fire truck. I'm no legal expert and I certainly have no idea about whether or not the Scanner Master ad brings in revenue to you, but I dearly hope that you've recieved official permission from the City of Toronto to use their property as a splash screen for your site.

I do have to do a change on the opening page and remove the scanner master banner from their as i can see how that might be confusing. As for the Photo, Its my photo and they ask me for permission to use it. I have some new photos of some Police and Fire equipment that i will do a new one with, that one is a bit stale.

I have been trying and doing my own research on Frequencies and Data, but to the best of my knowledge its public info... The reason i posted on my site about stealing info is 2 web sites stole my Nascar data and couldn't be bothered to even change the font or table data it was a mirror of my page except the colors where a bit different. My site will never be as good as RR and I am not trying to do that. But as usual i get bashed non the less for attempting to do a site and of course i have stolen all the data from RR. LOL

Both your and Mikes comments are on the slander side of things......:(

jellotor

Hey, c'mon, if we wanted to SLANDER you...we'd do it in person. The word you are looking for is libel. I fail to see the libel here. I merely asked you about the relationship between the picture and the ad.

Look at it this way...if I took a picture of your vehicle and posted it without consent on my website, you might get angry. But if I posted the picture of your vehicle on a page with what looks like a paid advertiser's logo, well, you might be angry and demanding some money from me. It's all about others' perception of what you are doing. That was the reason for my question. Asked and answered, fair enough. Libellous? Hardly.

I'm going to take a fantastic journey into Mike's mind here and ask the million dollar question that I believe he's been getting at for some time...if you have no unique or niche frequency or radio information and your site will 'never be as good as RR.com' why start a site to begin with?

Perhaps a better question is this: is there anything unique or special you can base your site around that will make it stand out? In other words, is there any information that is not covered on RR.com that you would like to gather and disseminate on your site? If so, go for it...and I suspect you'll have the full support of those interested. But continuing to ape what RR.com is, as some have said before, redundant and a waste of your efforts.

And for the record, I apologise for the 'bashing.'

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Slander? Ha ha.

I'll let you in on a little secret, some websites often include some bogus data (doesn't affect your listening pleasure) so they can track who's copying the data.

Way back when Motorola was testing PRPD's consoles, they ran through all the talkgroups accessible to the consoles. I managed to catch those transmissions and made notes of all the talkgroup names. I submitted them to Ontscan and when it died, to trunkedradio.net (which became Radioreference). However, I made one minor change when I initially submitted the data to both sites.

It's an easy way to tell who is copying who when it comes to data. It's especially funny when the new site claims that all material is copyright or that proper credit be given if material is "borrowed".

Sure, you might have caught the console testing as I did but is it just coincidence that you made the same minor change to the data as I did?

As Jellotor suggests, in order to set yourself apart from the obvious data lifters, your site should concentrate on filling a niche. How about a local guide to scanning Peel complete with maps, codes, listings of equipment, abbreviations, etc? Something that goes more into depth then what Radioreference does. Radioreference is a good start for people looking for information but a site with more indepth information is even better.

Something along the lines of what can be accomplished with the Wiki:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/San_Antonio

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Yes Mike i am aware of the bogus data, Thats how I caught the other 2 sites stealing my work. I really don't care if someone takes my frequencies its when they are so lazy they even steal the tables and fonts and can't be bothered to change anything. Thats my work and yes thats stealing. Its not hard to add an extra race team that doesn't exist.

The unfortunate part is their will always be lifters, I have tried to offer support to this site but as usual i was either ignored or bashed for it. I offered Lindsay Nascar Frequencies and other racing data but he never bothered to get back to me..

I have always tried to give back to this site with anything new found or $$$ wise. I would like to make my site more Ontario Oriented and would love some help with it.

Its sad we have to fight over something we enjoy doing. Instead of pooling all of our info, we have to sit here and fight like little kids over who stole what. I have stopped working on my site 3 times because its a thankless job and no matter what i do the site will always be marked as a lifters site. Makes me want to get rid of all my scanner equipment and site and say screw it to the whole lot of you...

No I am not looking for sympathy, I just asked a simple question and My site and myself get put under a microscope.

Thanks Radio Reference!

jellotor

Chrome69 said:
Its sad we have to fight over something we enjoy doing. Instead of pooling all of our info, we have to sit here and fight like little kids over who stole what. I have stopped working on my site 3 times because its a thankless job and no matter what i do the site will always be marked as a lifters site. Makes me want to get rid of all my scanner equipment and site and say screw it to the whole lot of you...

Relax there, Chrome. You're not going to let a little criticism ruin your fun, are you?

Seriously, who is fighting? As far as I'm concerned if you put a website out there in the ether you're automatically opening yourself up to a little bit of heat. It's up to you if you ignore what the critics say or use their information to help your site.

Again, I'll offer another suggestion...why don't you take that list of media frequencies and pare it down into a list of what's actually being used? There are quite a few media types on RR.com and scanont who would probably give you some information about what's being used in their respective shops in Ontario and, since I last checked, there isn't a comprehensive OR rudimentary list of media frequencies in Ontario anywhere on the web.

xml

Chrome69 said:
Instead of pooling all of our info, we have to sit here and fight like little kids over who stole what.

I think you're missing the point. If you want to make a website, slap a ScannerMaster referral link on there and "collect" information from other sources you obviously haven't discovered yourself - what's the fun with that?

My hats off the RadioReference staff and volunteers, not only partly coding, but managing a high volume website is a lot of work. As a user that submits information on here, I'm a little irritated that you've taken my work of finding specific frequencies and assignments and simply copied that information without crediting anyone. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to get worked up over some silly frequencies - but I only submit on here because I rather contribute to one big central database, instead of searching hundreds of splinter, wannabe websites.

Nobody is slamming you for doing a website, but outright copying information and re-stylizing your tables, come on now. Like it was suggested, maybe make a focus website for your area and go from there.

Chrome69 said:
I have stopped working on my site 3 times because its a thankless job and no matter what i do the site will always be marked as a lifters site. Makes me want to get rid of all my scanner equipment and site and say screw it to the whole lot of you...

Dude, you sound like ham. You're going to stop working on your site because people are critiquing it.... awe...

I bet, if you actually put some work into finding your own information, strip the ads on your page, and stop making your site more than it is... you'd probably start getting some positive feedback, and you'd give the perception to visitors that you're truly trying to help out the scanning community. To me, it looks like you want to be super moderator of your board, somehow be the definite source of frequency listings, and make a small quick buck.

As I am sure you're constantly looking out for any changes on your listed trunked systems... why make it harder for newcomers to find correct information?

Compliment RadioReference. Don’t rip it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.