Peel Police MDT's

Status
Not open for further replies.

exkalibur

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Aug 15, 2006
Messages
2,697
Location
York, Ontario
PRP recently upgraded their MWS system. It's very similar to what Toronto and York use, in that they are encrypted. So, there's no easy way to monitor them - consider it impossible :)
 

DaveH

Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2001
Messages
3,284
Location
Ottawa, Ont.
Chrome69 said:
What freq do peel police use for their MDT's I thought they used 700,mhz any ideas?
I don't know what would give you the idea they were there...nobody I have
heard of uses 700MHz in Canada yet...

Dave
 

Chrome69

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 25, 2005
Messages
906
Location
Ontario, Canada
no i know they are encrypted, but i know they use the pan cakes on the cars for antennas just was interested in what freq they were using on them.. From what i gathered i think i was wrong on the 700mhz and it would be maybe 900mhz range? I looked up antenex pan cakes antennas and they are made for 900mhz and 2.4 ghz ranges...
 

pokey

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
110
Chrome69 said:
no i know they are encrypted, but i know they use the pan cakes on the cars for antennas just was interested in what freq they were using on them.. From what i gathered i think i was wrong on the 700mhz and it would be maybe 900mhz range? I looked up antenex pan cakes antennas and they are made for 900mhz and 2.4 ghz ranges...


WHO CARES? They can't be decoded anyhow...
 

RainbowSix

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
226
There are 4 antenna's on the roof.

(MCS200 or Spectra Astro)-1/4 wave whip in the front close to the
lightbar.
(WiFi)-White or Black round stubby antenna behind the one for the 2-way
is for future WiFi internet/email access.
(GPS/BlueTree Modem)-8" white or black hockey puck antenna on the
driver side is for the GPS (1.2ghz) and the Bluetree Modem (Bell-2.4ghz).
(Spare 800mhz)-8" white or black hockey puck antenna on the Passenger
side is a spare anttena that will be connected to the computer docking
station in the trunk for future use.

The onglass antennas are indeed 800mhz for 2-way and or cellular & UHF
for the old MDT's. But the UHF ones are being removed.

They are using Panasonic CF-18 ToughBooks in the trunk and remoting it
to the front. The officers will use Panasonic Monitors/Keyboards in the
front along with a magnetic card reader to read Driver Licences.

There is also VHF whips on various Cruisers. They are for the Aircraft
radio's in the Airport cars and for the Marine Units.

K9 may also have an extra whip (UHF or VHF) for the wireless key fob remote to open the rear door for the Police Dog if the Officer were in trouble and the dog was in the vehicle.

The frequencies that are in the Airport radios that Peel Police monitor
is

1-121.9000
2-121.6500
3-122.0750
4-122-8750
5-131.0750
6-131.3750

Frequency to monitor for the Marine Unit is Marine channel 16.
1-156.8000
 

Chrome69

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 25, 2005
Messages
906
Location
Ontario, Canada
RainbowSix said:
There are 4 antenna's on the roof.

(MCS200 or Spectra Astro)-1/4 wave whip in the front close to the
lightbar.
(WiFi)-White or Black round stubby antenna behind the one for the 2-way
is for future WiFi internet/email access.
(GPS/BlueTree Modem)-8" white or black hockey puck antenna on the
driver side is for the GPS (1.2ghz) and the Bluetree Modem (Bell-2.4ghz).
(Spare 800mhz)-8" white or black hockey puck antenna on the Passenger
side is a spare anttena that will be connected to the computer docking
station in the trunk for future use.

The onglass antennas are indeed 800mhz for 2-way and or cellular & UHF
for the old MDT's. But the UHF ones are being removed.

They are using Panasonic CF-18 ToughBooks in the trunk and remoting it
to the front. The officers will use Panasonic Monitors/Keyboards in the
front along with a magnetic card reader to read Driver Licences.

There is also VHF whips on various Cruisers. They are for the Aircraft
radio's in the Airport cars and for the Marine Units.

K9 may also have an extra whip (UHF or VHF) for the wireless key fob remote to open the rear door for the Police Dog if the Officer were in trouble and the dog was in the vehicle.

The frequencies that are in the Airport radios that Peel Police monitor
is

1-121.9000
2-121.6500
3-122.0750
4-122-8750
5-131.0750
6-131.3750

Frequency to monitor for the Marine Unit is Marine channel 16.
1-156.8000
Thanks RainbowSix for clearing up a few things for me.... :)
 

wyldman

Member
Joined
May 25, 2006
Messages
174
Location
Center of the RF Universe
I hear what sounds like data bursts,and sometime continous (almost like control channel noise) data on some of the Peel police talkgroups.Anyone know what this could be.Maybe encrypted stuff ?
 

Jay911

.
Feed Provider
Joined
Feb 15, 2002
Messages
9,292
Location
Bragg Creek, Alberta
Here in Calgary, the MDTs communicate their data over the CDPD (cellular packet data) network. I understand that's getting shut down soon by the cellular companies, so something new is being researched. I wouldn't be surprised if the new systems are going to be 4.9ghz, as I recall segments of that band being set aside for emergency services' data comms.
 

exkalibur

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Aug 15, 2006
Messages
2,697
Location
York, Ontario
wyldman said:
I hear what sounds like data bursts,and sometime continous (almost like control channel noise) data on some of the Peel police talkgroups.Anyone know what this could be.Maybe encrypted stuff ?
It could be plain digital as well. Their "encrypted" channels are actually just digital audio. The jury is still out as to if it's IMBE or VSELP. I've heard both, although I've never bothered to listen.
 

conundrum

Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2004
Messages
39
Chrome69 said:
no i know they are encrypted, but i know they use the pan cakes on the cars for antennas just was interested in what freq they were using on them.. From what i gathered i think i was wrong on the 700mhz and it would be maybe 900mhz range? I looked up antenex pan cakes antennas and they are made for 900mhz and 2.4 ghz ranges...
on a side note,

The pucks are available in almost any band you need... you can get a VHF one that looks like a can, or a UHF/800MHz one that is about 1/4 the height... there is no real easy way to tell what the puck is unless you know what its connected to.
 

slicerwizard

Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2002
Messages
6,643
Location
Toronto, Ontario
wyldman said:
I hear what sounds like data bursts,and sometime continous (almost like control channel noise) data on some of the Peel police talkgroups.Anyone know what this could be.Maybe encrypted stuff ?
Cough up some talkgroup numbers and you'll get an answer pretty quickly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top