Peel region all info on the Project 25 Phase II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninfreak

here is what looks like that will be on the peel Project 25 Phase II

Q Peel Regional Police Mississauga Fire and Emergency Services Brampton Fire and Emergency Services Caledon Fire and Emergency Services e Region of Peel Public Works Hydro One Inc. (formerly Brampton Hydro) Q Mississauga Non-Emergency Services and Transit Canada Border Services Agency

I have also uploaded pdf of what radios peel will be using and what it cost

and looks like they are going encryption Mississauga Fire -Caledon Fire and Emergency Services -Peel Regional Police - Brampton Fire - Canada Border Services Agency

Attachments

• report-pw-a1.pdf
    222.4 KB · Views: 384

ninfreak

sorry did not get a copy for the EMERGENCY radios this is for the NON-EMERGENCY radios
and for encryption it was on the planes for EMERGENCY radios but was just told by the engineer that
there will be no encryption for fire and that police on 11,12,21,22 div are going to remove encryption rest of police will have encryption

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.1483 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

So, final answer, the regular Police divisions are in the clear but the UC's can talk smack and go "blue?"

Cause it's always nice to hear the cops being all cool saying "rawwwwwggggg"

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.1483 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

So, final answer, the regular Police divisions are in the clear but the UC's can talk smack and go "blue?"

Cause it's always nice to hear the cops being all cool saying "rawwwwwggggg"

lukaradio

So eventually prp 11,12,21,22 will be on p25 regular digital not encrpyted? And fire will be going digital?

Edit...so digital scanners will be a must then?

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber
News release today:

Peel Police - Peel Regional Police to Encrypt Radio Communications

Posted on Thursday June 05, 2014 Subscribe via RSS Subscribe via e-mail
Peel – As of June 6, 2014, 12:00 p.m. Peel Regional Police will be encrypting all radio communications.

The encryption of Peel Regional Police Radio Communications will provide officers with improved communications and will enhance officer safety.

Members of Peel Regional Police Corporate Communications – Public Information, will continue to work with social media, in particular, Twitter and Facebook, in order to provide information in a timely manner to our community.

Like Peel Regional Police on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @PeelPoliceMedia

For media inquiries, please contact the on-duty Media Relations Officer at (905) 453-2121, ext. 4027.

News Release 14-133

lukaradio

Does someone need to scream "transparency" again so we can get a few more weeks again of listening? So what exactly was the last few weeks we had? Typical PRP.

RadioPatriots

Does someone need to scream "transparency" again so we can get a few more weeks again of listening? So what exactly was the last few weeks we had? Typical PRP.

Unbelievable. You'll have to scream transparency again. Did anyone petition the city council about this? If no one says anything, it will be a very short time before all law enforcement communications everywhere will be encrypted. That is something you do not want to have happen.

voxiso

I hate to say it but this site is one of the main reason all these agencies are now encrypting.. There is a county here in Kentucky that done it cause of the live feeds, kind of a lame excuse but it works..

mrweather

I agree that encryption definitely enhances office safety but I'm not sure how it "improves communications".

RadioPatriots

I hate to say it but this site is one of the main reason all these agencies are now encrypting.. There is a county here in Kentucky that done it cause of the live feeds, kind of a lame excuse but it works..

What you're saying is partially true, voxiso, and it is only true in the sense that The State is using live feed and cell phone apps as an excuse to usher in full encryption and a complete Public Safety Communications blackout. That's right, a blackout. They want to "go dark."

(EDIT: Analogy of Social Security Omitted.)

We see similar lies and pretenses all through history. You see, The State will always use a very plausible, good sounding reason to get people to swallow things. With communications, that reason happens to be "officer safety." Now, this is quite the insidiously clever reason. Why? Because who in their right mind wouldn't want "officer safety," right? So this "reason" is not only plausible, it's rather clever as well, because if you're one of the few who realizes that transparency is far more important than a highly exaggerated argument of "officer safety," and you make that argument, then the rest of the koolaid drinkers will claim you're not for "officer safety." See how that works?

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Gentlemen, let me remind you that this is a thread discussing the latest changes in the Region of Peel in Ontario.

Please take your discussion of Social Security elsewhere.

Thanks

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
How is public safety affected at all by this? As much as I hate to admit it, I'm sure there was a small element out there that may have been using scanners to help their illegal ways. That has now stopped. Transparency is one thing, but encryption certainly doesn't hurt public safety in any way that I can see. Many MANY other cities using encryption seem to be getting along just fine. And do you really think Peel would leave their new system open after the Officer Styles fiasco? No, me either.

RadioPatriots

Forts, with the utmost of respect, I believe you are missing the larger picture of the negative ramifications of encryption. First, it is not [public communications] encryption itself which is the enemy, it is what encryption facilitates. And the coup de gras of what Public Safety encryption facilitates is non-transparency and secrecy. Secrecy fosters corruption, and corruption finally creates an enormous potential for abuse of power and every manner of illegal and unlawful conduct by those utilizing and/or exploiting encryption.

I'm speaking not as someone who is merely theorizing, but as someone who has been to regions and observed firsthand how regimes have implemented the practices of secrecy and non-transparency against its citizen. And to be in most of these cultures is, for lack of better terminology, to be in hell. And that is an entirely different story which is probably beyond the scope of RR.

I don't come without some practical examples of the disadvantages of encryption, (moderators please forgive me for posting this list twice). Perhaps you should first have a look at this by-no-means exhaustive list of a few of the disadvantages to encryption. Some points are more relevant than others but they're all important on some level.

• A security system (encrypted radio) is only as strong as it’s weakest link. A crypto radio system has many that analog or standard P25 do not have.
  • Numerous dead zones, more so than analog or straight P25.
  • Higher probability of single radio or total system failure.
  • Large scale key administration is difficult, has vulnerabilities, and is susceptible to error.
  • A crypto radio system is not fully secure because it can be still be overheard by bystanders and or criminals in the vicinity.
  • Dirty or money-desperate cops who compromise and give out cryptographic keys or entire radios, such as in exchange for money or to organized crime.
  • Police error. Transmitting in the clear when they believe they are encrypted.
  • False sense of security. Any system can always be hacked or compromised. Since the information going over an encrypted system will be of a more sensitive nature, it can greatly compromise the privacy and safety of average citizens.
  • Encrypting the radios is likely to increase the already festering mistrust of police officers by average citizens.
  • Lack of real-time awareness of police operations is the introduction of more corruption into the police department. Cover-ups, framing, bribes, police brutality etc.
  • It's easier for police departments to hide errors in procedures or operational deficiencies.
  • In many extreme situations, real time information is absolutely crucial in saving lives. Police and fire scanners are very important for obtaining real time information in situations when hostile threats, mass crime sprees (shootings), hazardous materials, flooding, power outages and storm damage and other threats needs to be known immediately.
  • So-called "terrorists" could quickly and easily learn to take advantage of vulnerabilities created by encrypted public safety radio systems with their lack of real-time awareness of media and the public, putting the public at much greater risk.
  • Encrypted radios cutoff assistance from citizens and off-duty public safety personnel.

I think we all agree that tactical channels (i.e. SWAT) and investigative channels should be encrypted, but public call and dispatch channels should not. in short, please don't be too quick to throw transparency to the curb in favor of what you see as "security." What's true today often is not true tomorrow. And at some period down the road, you may find that it was a mistake which cannot be reversed.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
As we all know encryption has been beat to death here time and time again, and I'm certainly not going to engage in another long winded debate about it. However I certainly acknowledge your points and concerns, and most importantly your right to have an opinion on the matter.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

ninfreak

not much is talk about on the radio any ways just dispatch the main info is through MDU our Cell
I see know reason to use encryption on dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.