Peel System: Radio Affiliation Gone Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber
In Unitrunker, I'm seeing radio 13198 affiliating and de-affiliating on TG 12816 (Roads South) several times a minute. Since I don't see other units doing the same, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this isn't normal...but I am curious as to what's happening...and moreover, wouldn't radio repair see this (assuming they are monitoring the system) and shut the radio down?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Roads use GTX mobiles.

Andy will probably chime in and tell you what happens with GTX mobiles on a Type II system...

slicerwizard

They are using the wrong external speaker connector on that GTX. It has an extra jumper on it that is causing the radio to continuously power cycle any time the power switch is in the off position. As it does so, it affiliates and deaffiliates. You'd think the user would figure something wasn't right when the backlight keeps going on and off.

BTW, this was a great way to catch the tow operators who were putting extra radios on the air - they'd clone the radio ID from one of their Jedi portables into a GTX mobile they'd acquired and then slap the first mobile speaker they could find on it. With the extra jumper, the radio would do its winky thing and I'd see it on TRUNK88. When the radio ID was checked in our database, we'd see that it wasn't assigned to a GTX (the only radio that will aff/deaff all day long), so we'd kill the ID and they'd lose both radios.

That also clued us in to which fleets were in to cloning, so I set up a laptop that only displayed activity for one fleet (talkgroup) at a time and we'd get a coworker to watch them for an hour or so and assign names to every RID she saw on the screen (and heard on her portable) - it didn't take her long to hear voices that didn't match the names being displayed onscreen and you could hear her "I got you, you bastards!" through the entire office. Bam, more dead radios in the middle of their shift. We made the customer bring in every legit radio they had to get reprogrammed (new talkgroup and radio IDs) - that let them know we meant business.

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber
They are using the wrong external speaker connector on that GTX. It has an extra jumper on it that is causing the radio to continuously power cycle any time the power switch is in the off position. As it does so, it affiliates and deaffiliates. You'd think the user would figure something wasn't right when the backlight keeps going on and off.

So this leads me to wonder...

I'm assuming (I know, I know) that the Region would purchase these radios from a reputable dealer...why would the dealer use the wrong connector? Oh wait, I just got slightly cynical...this is probably indicative of a cloned radio...

slicerwizard

I blame Motorola - when you have various radio models that use the same 16 pin connector on the back and the same two pins (1 and 16) for the external speaker connection, mistakes are bound to happen. Unless you look carefully for the presence or absence of the jumper, the external speakers look identical and the wrong one will even appear to work. It would be easy for a tech or installer to make a mistake.

IIRC, plugging the jumpered connector into the back of a MaxTrac actually blows up something in the radio. It's a wonderful system Moto's got there...

Status
Not open for further replies.