pell city pd

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic9351301

Banned
well according to the pell city facebook page the city will go silent to scanner users next week.

the new repeater will be put in sometime next week and of course it will be mototurbo(digital)

the fire and all other fire agencies will switch over to.

maybe we can hope that after a while they will switch back to analog

trace1

Wow I missed their post over on Facebook! Even though I don't live in or normally monitor PCPD or any other agencies in St. Clair Co., I do reside in a neighboring county and have, on occasion, listened to what was going on over there, I hate it for those who are within the listening range and won't be able to monitor anymore.

medic9351301

Banned
pell city

info from the pell city website

http://www.epell.net/pellcity/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=BXksniICQ8k=&tabid=36

from facebook

this is the main one that gets me

"Yeah I think there will be many who do but we are being forced by the FCC to move to narrow banding and this is the way to do it while we are replacing the faling system we have now."

We are in the process. We have the equipment ordered and looks like maybe first of next week to start the install and switch over. We will get it all in place and then have to switch over to small town for a couple of houurs to finish final touches and then flip the switch and we will be digital. Not sure what the sheriff department is going to do. Makes sense that they will do the same thing since everyone else in the county is going to this same system but I can't speak for them.

I dont know what the county is doin but yes ALL 26 fire depatments including Pell City Fire is moving to the same system we are. About the scanner. I understand you can purchase the equipment to scan our new radio but it is several thousand dollars to purchase.

It can probably be monitored with DSD, Linux and a tapped scanner. I've seen a post on here somewhere about someone testing DSD on Moody's system which is also Turbo.

I'm assuming the Turbo radios can switch to conventional since Small Town is 155.0100 NFM. It would be nice if someone living in the area would try the DSD thing & set up a feed. Hint!

SCPD

QRT
info from the pell city website

http://www.epell.net/pellcity/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=BXksniICQ8k=&tabid=36

from facebook

this is the main one that gets me

"Yeah I think there will be many who do but we are being forced by the FCC to move to narrow banding and this is the way to do it while we are replacing the faling system we have now."

We are in the process. We have the equipment ordered and looks like maybe first of next week to start the install and switch over. We will get it all in place and then have to switch over to small town for a couple of houurs to finish final touches and then flip the switch and we will be digital. Not sure what the sheriff department is going to do. Makes sense that they will do the same thing since everyone else in the county is going to this same system but I can't speak for them.

I dont know what the county is doin but yes ALL 26 fire depatments including Pell City Fire is moving to the same system we are. About the scanner. I understand you can purchase the equipment to scan our new radio but it is several thousand dollars to purchase.

ALLCOM's shady tactics strike again!!! Bet the didn't bother to tell the city they could just re-program their radios another case of Mototrbro.

Yeah "silent" to scanner users that don't have DSD, Linux, and a tapped scanner. If you've got all of those then you should be good to go.

This just goes to show how ignorant public safety services can be when it comes to radio equipement.

I also love how they say that their current system is "failing". Well, if Pell City would actually maintain or update their equipment when needed that wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Yeah "silent" to scanner users that don't have DSD, Linux, and a tapped scanner. If you've got all of those then you should be good to go.

This just goes to show how ignorant public safety services can be when it comes to radio equipement.

I also love how they say that their current system is "failing". Well, if Pell City would actually maintain or update their equipment when needed that wouldn't be a problem.

Yeah I kinda liked the failing part also...good way to justify a new system without taking bids also.

Yeah I kinda liked the failing part also...good way to justify a new system without taking bids also.
Exactly.

And another thing that bothers me is how none of these agencies seem do any of their own research on communications equipment before they buy it. They seem to rely completely on Allcomm, or Southernlinc, or whatever dealer to give them all of their info before buying. It would be like walking into a car dealership, doing no research of your own, and expecting the car dealer to lead you in the right direction. Of course he's going to try and get you to buy a much more expensive car than what you really need.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Pell City PD

Having just spent several days in PC for Christmas, I can confirm that PCPD has swicthed to MOTOTRBO or some form of digitial. If you monitor their former channel, 159.090 - you will only hear a sound like an 800 MHz control channel.

Pell City Fire, St. Clair Fire, Riverside PD/FD and RPS EMS are, for the moment, still on the frequencies listed here in RR.

Metrofire31
Atlanta

Dakk1

Do we know that it is definitely Mototrbo. And, how can we find out? Maybe have to wait awhile for more details. By the way I live in PC.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Pell City PD

I may have been incorrect in thinking it is MOTOTRBO. PCPD is still only licensed on their former frequencies though it does say that the license has a change application active.

codeplug

Member, Disabled Veteran, US Army
Pell City

Pell City Police is no longer using analog voice, they are now using: (MOTOTRBO) Digitized Voice - Not APCO/P25
Call sign: WNFM849 Pell City, AL. (Police Dept.)
ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WNFM819 - PELL CITY, CITY OF

Output Freq. is 159.0900
Input Freq. is 154.7100

Old emission designator > 11KOF3E / New emission designator > 7K60FXD / 7K60FXE
7.6 kHz. Bandwidth (AMBE Vocoder) TDMA 2-slot DMR - VHF Channels / Not APCO/P25
7K60FXD - Narrow band FM VHF/UHF, Motorola (MOTOTRBO) TDMA Digitized Data, Non Voice
7K60FXE - Narrow band FM VHF/UHF, Motorola (MOTOTRBO) TDMA Digitized Voice

Pell City Fire is still using analog voice as far as I can tell.
Call sign: WPYJ474 Pell City, AL.
ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WPYJ474 - PELL CITY, CITY OF

Old emission designator > 20KOF3E / New emission designator > 11KOF3E
Output Freq. is 154.2200
Input Freq. is 158.9850

Dakk1

Thanks for that codeplug. I was afraid of that. I have tapped an old Bearcat 350A and am trying to get it going with DSD on Windows. From what I could tell last night DSD was recognizing the signal but so far no voice. I'm going to give it another go tonight..

Status
Not open for further replies.