Pena Blvd 2x fatal, as paged

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
DENVER - Two people are dead and a major route to Denver International Airport is closed after a serious accident.

Sonny Jackson, spokesperson for the Denver Police Department, says two women have died after being ejected when the minivan taxi they were in rolled on Pena Boulevard Wednesday morning just before noon.

"The women were ejected out of the side of it, unfortunately," Jackson said.

Jackson says the accident involved a taxi from Freedom Cab. Denver police are investigating the crash as a hit-and-run.

"You have two women in the van, that when the van rolled they were ejected. One was taken to University Hospital where she was pronounced dead, as well as the other woman was pronounced here at the scene and the driver was taken to Denver Health Medical Center where he has non-life-threatening injuries," Jackson said.

Jackson says both women were not from the area.

"Until we have a chance to really notify their families what I can tell you is: These women were from out of town, visiting Colorado and they were heading back home. As far as what they were doing here I don't know at this point in time," Jackson said. "But they were returning to their home and I don't want to release more than that until we have a chance to talk to their families."

An official from Freedom Cab said they could not comment, but said an official from the company was on the way to the accident scene. They did not release the name of the driver or any other details.

Denver police have not released the identities of any of the victims.

The accident has forced the closure of northbound Pena Boulevard at 56th. Tower and Chambers are alternative routes.

"We are talking to witnesses and we're looking for any additional witnesses, anybody who saw what happened," Jackson said. "Obviously it is highly traveled and we wanted to get the word out to people going to the airport to use alternate routes right now."

Jackson says the road could remain closed until around 2 p.m.

"We have to do a thorough investigation because we do have, unfortunately, a fatal accident. So it will be shut down for at least an hour-and-a-half to two hours," Jackson said.

9NEWS has crews at the scene and will continue to provide updates as they become available.

bwilborn

Gah. Everytime I have to use DIA, I take Pena. And every time, half of the drivers on that road drive like complete toolboxes. :/ So sad for the two women. I hope someone comes forward with information about the run vehicle.

-- B

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Gah. Everytime I have to use DIA, I take Pena. And every time, half of the drivers on that road drive like complete toolboxes. :/ So sad for the two women. I hope someone comes forward with information about the run vehicle.

-- B

Both women in the run vehicle were captured at baggage claim.

Within hours, Denver Police had two other women detained in connection to the crash. They were found at a cargo area at the airport. One of the women, 40-year-old Sandra Lee Jacobson, was identified as the apparent driver. Police say she is being held for investigation of vehicular homicide, vehicular assault, and is suspected of driving under the influence.

Jim<

Last edited:

bwilborn

Both women in the run vehicle were captured at baggage claim.

Within hours, Denver Police had two other women detained in connection to the crash. They were found at a cargo area at the airport. One of the women, 40-year-old Sandra Lee Jacobson, was identified as the apparent driver. Police say she is being held for investigation of vehicular homicide, vehicular assault, and is suspected of driving under the influence.

Jim<

That's good news. I hope the driver is punished severely for her actions if it was proven that she was reckless in her actions.

-- B

Status
Not open for further replies.