Penn State University - Brandywine

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncaff

Does anyone have info on frequencies used by PSU Brandywine Police? I've only been able to come up with 72.18 from the FCC for a "WIRELESS CLOCK SYSTEM."

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Ben

Despite many attempts to monitor over the years, I have never heard any activity.

I just saw the request and looked up the license. Seems they are valid for both analog and digital.

Might catch some activity one of these days.

Terry

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Yeah. I am usually just passing through if I am near there and I don't have the freqs programmed so I have never caught anything for them, either.

rrbum

Premium Subscriber
Ben

Despite many attempts to monitor over the years, I have never heard any activity.

I just saw the request and looked up the license. Seems they are valid for both analog and digital.

Might catch some activity one of these days.

Terry

I too have never been able to catch any activity over the years. I'm only a few miles away.

On a side note, does anyone know if the juvenile detention center down the street from the campus uses radios? I would think they do, but have not been able to ever find anything about them.

ncaff

I put the licensed freq into a radio for the past couple weeks and not a peep from 4mi away.

Likewise in not as hearing a single thing. Just like others have mentioned. Surprised as they just "recently" increased their full Act 120 certified personal, if I recall correctly. Perhaps it was a year & a half or so ago that I remember that from.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
Since last night I have been getting sporadic DMR on 461.78750.

Not enough to decode but it is there. Quite a few co-users of the frequency all around.

Dave

phillydjdan

Aren't they a "state" university? Is it possible that they have TGs on the OpenScam system or something?

ncaff

Since last night I have been getting sporadic DMR on 461.78750.

Not enough to decode but it is there. Quite a few co-users of the frequency all around.

Dave

Thanks for the update, Dave. Appreciate it.

Aren't they a "state" university? Is it possible that they have TGs on the OpenScam system or something?

Good point. I did not think of that. I was just under the impression they would not use that for daily operations if they have TGs on there, as most other campuses operate on local "systems" that I know of according to the database.

For example, PSU main campus operates on the Centre County P25 trunked system, PSU Berks has a TG on the Berks P25 system (unsure if that is just for inter. op. or daily use) PSU DuBois operates on a single analog conventional frequency, as well as PSU Altoona, and PSU Penn State Wilkes-Barre (Lehman) operates on two analog conventional frequencies.

Can't rule it out yet though. Thanks for bringing that up!

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Penn State does not routinely operate on OpenSky. They maintain their own radio systems at their campuses or, in some locations, operate on county systems as mentioned above. PSU Main shares the trunked system with Centre County.

This page explains the status PSU has:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_System_of_Higher_Education

PSU and the other three public universities listed on that page (Temple, Lincoln, and Pitt) are in a different category than the "real" state universities. These four receive some funding assistance from the state but are not state entities.

The other universities are under the SSHE umbrella, are actually owned by the state, and include East Stroudsburg, Kutztown, West Chester, Cheyney, Lock Haven, Mansfield, Clarion, Slippery Rock, Shippensburg, Indiana, Bloomsburg, Edinboro, and California Universities.

As far as I know, none of the SSHE schools use the OpenSky, either, even though they are a state entity.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Back when I attended PSU Brandywine 10+ years ago (called Delaware County at the time), I think there were only a handful of security personnel there. If I recall correctly, they used a UHF channel for operations. Didn't really hear a whole lot of traffic on that channel while I monitored but it definitely was used. Brandywine is a small, commuter-only campus with only 1500 students and 70 full time faculty members so I'm guessing radio communications might not be all that vital for day to day operations between the 4 buildings on campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.