Pennsylvania: SEPTA monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcgonrya

I have a question regarding monitoring frequencies. Please keep in mind that I don't know all that much about two-way radios, other than the basics.

According to RR databases here, the public transit operator in my area uses radios. I would like to monitor what's going on with a radio that I have. I do not want to TX on these frequencies as I realize this is illegal, but I would like to "eavesdrop" if you will.

Given what's on the page linked above, can anyone help me interpret what frequencies they use? I will continue to look around on RR to see if I can decipher them, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,
McGonigiggle

mcgonrya

Figured it out. I missed the frequencies, or I wasn't reading them right. Whoops :)

McGonigiggle

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Where are you and what type of receiving equipment are you intending to use. To properly monitor SEPTA you need a scanner that will monitor the trunked frequencies. The frequencies you see are the various channels in the system. Most scanners require only the control channel. The other numbers you see associated with various divisions and operating areas are talk groups.

I am not sure how helpful this was.

Depending on what part of the system you want to monitor determines what type of radio you will need.

The Market/Frankford "EL" or Blue line,the Broad Street Orange line and Regional Rail and SEPTA PD all use conventional channels.Most any FM/NFM radio can be programed to receive.

The buses ,trollies and CCT use the trunked system.You will need a Analog Trunking radio to receive these.

The Trunked system uses what are called Talkgroups.Each service will have its own talkgroup.

Your best bet is to get a analog trunking scanner so you can program both conventional and trunked channels.

Last edited:

mcgonrya

Thank you both for the helpful responses. I'm still trying to piece all parts of this together, but I really appreciate you both taking some time to help me out.

After I did a little more digging, I was able to monitor the first frequency listed on the page I had previously linked (about mid-way through the page). I have some cheap, Chinese "knock-off" radios (that work pretty darn well) and I was able to program one to monitor SEPTA frequencies. Nothing too interesting to listen to, but certainly lots of chatter.

Thanks again!
McGonigiggle

Status
Not open for further replies.