Pentagon Investigates ‘Critical Compromise’ Of Air Force Communications Systems

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Did he have KVL's with a bunch of keys? It sounds like he just took CPS home with him, yeah it's probably against policy but I don't see how much of anything could have been "compromised" by that alone.

Was he trying to "sell" information about talkgroups and systems that you could get for free by looking here? I'm not seeing the "critical compromise" here. Maybe he took service monitors or something, and that's where the $90,000 came from; sounds like plain old theft more than anything else.

Regardless IF you're dead set on pilfering from the Air Force and risking court martial and ruining your career, why not go for the Falcon III products? That's my biggest question here...

Last edited:

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Being the fbi is mainly secure he must have had a kvl loader or access to the exact keys to compromise them or other sensitive data.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Being the fbi is mainly secure he must have had a kvl loader or access to the exact keys to compromise them or other sensitive data.
The article sure makes it sounds like it was just CPS and system keys. Regardless it's pretty weird, it sounds like he was just taking it home for personal use (which itself is pretty strange).

The article has references to him selling radios, but it kinda sounds like those were other radios he acquired separately. Again though, if he was selling generic APX stuff he pilfered, he chose about the lowest value thing to sell.

Last edited:

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Whatever it was, he apparantly wasn't that popular

According to the warrant, “witnesses and co-workers” told investigators that the suspect “sold radios and radio equipment, worked odd hours, was arrogant, frequently lied, displayed inappropriate workplace behavior and sexual harassment, had financial problems, and possessed [Arnold Air Force Base land mobile radio] equipment.” A colleague had twice reported him because of “insider threat indicators” and unauthorized possession of Air Force equipment, investigators said.

iamrftechnj

Sounds like it could have been any one of a dozen people on these forums although it seems from reading the article that it was arrogance that got him, since there are not any arrogant egotistical types on the forums it couldn't be someone from here.

surfacemount

Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
Article is garbage based on whatever garbage they released.
'confidential restricted' lol he had a copy of depot. That's not a NSI indicator.

If he was cleared to do stuff Out There, it's not inconceivable that other governmental agencies had him do stuff to their equipment, too, which would explain the FBI angle.

Arnold is more research and development, not like a typical airbase. I don't think they'd have much use for a lot of the typical Green Radios. Guy sounds like a typical tech with a side hustle that included dumpster diving. It will be interesting to see what really kicked this off, and how they choose to handle it as it becomes more increasingly public.

northstarfire0693

Premium Subscriber
So what if he had the whole base com system. You can get that off unitrunker and here. If he had system or encryption keys, thats a whole different story

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Outsides of the stolen equipment and minor solicitation, he may have just had trunker running and had access to codeplugs. Sounds like dude has some major stuff going on and should have kept his mouth shut, but here he is. I have run across several guys like the alleged behavior in my career. TT