People Please Help ME!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

money911

Hello, just picked up a PSR-500 today and a trial of win500. So i am trying to figure out how to use this software. I figured out how to use the virtual scan folders, but i dont understand what the scan lists are on the first page when you open the software. i am really trying to understand how to group things, i want to be able to put most of delaware's police and fire, plus philadelphia's, ocean city's, ect in the scanner as well. but i want to try to understand how to group them to be able to find things in those groups.

also delaware works mainly on trucked radios and i am trying to figure out how to log these freqs.

if anyone has any info or tips for a new psr-500 owner please let me know!

thanks in advance

james

raisindot

money911 said:
Hello, just picked up a PSR-500 today and a trial of win500. So i am trying to figure out how to use this software. I figured out how to use the virtual scan folders, but i dont understand what the scan lists are on the first page when you open the software. i am really trying to understand how to group things, i want to be able to put most of delaware's police and fire, plus philadelphia's, ocean city's, ect in the scanner as well. but i want to try to understand how to group them to be able to find things in those groups.

also delaware works mainly on trucked radios and i am trying to figure out how to log these freqs.

if anyone has any info or tips for a new psr-500 owner please let me know!

thanks in advance

james

I just got mine yesterday, and am not expert on the software or the scanner, but I think I can help, with Win500 at least.

If you think of the scan lists kind of like the channel banks of older scanners, where you'd be able to put, say, 100 frequencies on bank and had ten banks, equalling 1000 channels in total, you get the idea.

The difference is that with the PSR500 you create the "objects" (let's be simple here and restrict to conventional VHF/UHF FM frequencies, like 460.500MhZ for police, etc.) and then ASSIGN them to a specific scan list. You create up to 1800 of these "objects" per virtual folder. Since you have 21 folders, you can create up to 37,000 separate "objects," but you can only load one virtual folder at a time.

Anyway, the scanner keeps conventional objects and talkgroup objects and search objects in separate "tabs." The easiest way to get started is to simply start creating conventional objects. Create them in the scan list themselves. Personally, I find it easier to create an Excel spreadsheet where I put the Alpha tags (text description of the channel) in column A and the frequencies in Column B. I then copy the two columns from Excel and paste them into the scan list.

When you've created your list of conventional objects, all you need to do to assign them to scan lists is:

1. Select the frequencies you want to assign to a list (Hold select key down)
2. Click the scan list button next to it where you want to assign it to

When creating trunked objects, you start by creating the TSYS object for that particular list. It's pretty easy--just click on the TSYS tab, right click and select "insert" to insert a new TSYS object. Then edit that object. First you choose the type of radio system (Motorola, LTR, etc.), then you click the "enter frequences" box to enter the control frequences for that talkgroup, then you give that TSYS an alpha tag. When you create a TSYS, it automatically creates a talkgroup in the talkgroup section. If you want to specify different talkgroups, you can create individual talkgroups, or if you want to simply capture all the talkgroups associated with that TSYS, leave it in its "Wildcard" format.

Then choose the "All objects" tab to assign the talkgroups to a specific scan list.

Hope this sort of helps you get started.

Suzie

Sownman

You don't need to be concerned about scan lists at all, or they can be a afterthought.
Thats the beauty of the PSR/Win500/Premium membership. Just use Win500 to do a webimport from this site. The PSR doesn't use banks and it can have scan lists with any type objects mixed up or any number of objects in a list (up to 1850)

Just web import everything in your area then assign it in scan lists afterwards based on any way it best suits your thought process. I put mine in Neighborhoods and types

Local police
LA Fire
LA Police
Airports
Railroads
Theme Parks
Ambulance

Any way you want, but you don't need to sort it all perfectly to import and start scanning.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.