People Trying to Tell you scanning is illegal

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ11DLN

Other than my ex-wife, I haven't had many people remonstrate with me about "eavesdropping on the police." Most folks I know who care one way or another think it's pretty cool that one can actually listen in. My personal justification has always been, "We're paying for it (all Public Safety inclusive), so with the exception of some sensitive tactical stuff, of course we should be able to listen to it!"

Andy3

Here in the UK, we have been unable to listen to the emergency services for several years now. They all switched over to TETRA and in one stroke removed the main reason to own a scanner!

My Personal view...
If its out there,,floating around..and your aware of how to process and monitor it , it's fair game.
Harry, Dick, Joe or Jane can go tell Twitter how they feel, Due to the issue, that I could not care less
about what puritans think.
Others stroll a different path, of less resistance and are more amicable to unwarranted opinions.

PACNWDude

This has happened to me here in the United States a few times. Most often it is someone noticing an antenna on a vehicle and asking who I listen to, or talk to.

One member of law enforcement saw a scanner, and commented on it being the same model as in his squad car. Then asked if I listened in to them. I replied, of course, as does your Eventide logging recorder. He then said it was illegal for me to listen to his encrypted communications. My response was that his radio transmission were trunked and not encrypted. He then walked off in frustration.

marksmith

This has happened to me here in the United States a few times. Most often it is someone noticing an antenna on a vehicle and asking who I listen to, or talk to.

One member of law enforcement saw a scanner, and commented on it being the same model as in his squad car. Then asked if I listened in to them. I replied, of course, as does your Eventide logging recorder. He then said it was illegal for me to listen to his encrypted communications. My response was that his radio transmission were trunked and not encrypted. He then walked off in frustration.
He was right, if they truly were encrypted.

If they were encrypted, you would not be listening to them.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

Rred

Paul-
As any dog can tell you, if someone wakes you up you are required to play with them. But, you are also allowed to make the rules and choose the game.

"Hey, that's illegal!"
Yessir, it would be, but the agency I work for is actually required to monitor these frequencies. (Whipping out memo pad and pen) Would you mind giving me your name and street address, so I can submit your name and have the agency send you a commendation for your attention and awareness in this matter?

With any luck they balk and walk away all flustered. Or you take down the information and say thanks and good day. Have some fun.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Never really had an issue. I haven't been pulled over by LEOs in many years and it was before I started using a scanner in my vehicle, so I couldn't really comment on thier attitudes.

When I worked for an agency, a few LEOs knew I had a scanner but never really commented on it.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I have a scanner in the car, and carry portable scanners. I'm in New York. I'm also retired law enforcement. Got questioned once when i was active law enforcement and quoted the section. Never had a problem since.

Tim-B

I agree with fourthhorseman. If you don't want me listening to your transmissions them keep them out of my house. If it comes in my house it's fair game and that applies to radio waves and food.

Tired_Yeti

Never had anyone tell me scanning was illegal. I'm sure some police officers would like it to be. I'm sure some panic-stricken, "Chicken Little", civilians who are all too eager to give up some personal liberty for a false sense of security would like it to be too.
Nowadays, even with people scanning, the police are capable of encrypting their transmissions so that we can't listen to them. So really, scanning is harmless. At a minimum, it adds some transparency to what's going on around us and that's always good to keep the "authorities" in check.
People love to spout off their opinions, or even they wishes, as LAW. Makes them look silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marksmith

So how could he have done something illegal then?

Logic can be a *****. ;)
He couldn't.

The only way he could have done something illegal is by either being in the wrong state (where monitoring is against the law) or by actually somehow decoding an encrypted transmission (which is against federal law). I know of no scanner that can do the latter.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

n1das

Good story. I love it when OMG Whiskey Tango Foxtrot ILLEGALs get their chops busted by somebody that actually KNOWS what they are talking about. It doesn't matter if they are law enforcement or not. You correctly called his bluff and he choked.

:)

Rred

He thought his comms were encrypted when in fact they were not. That makes him a security risk, because he has been and will be broadcasting in the clear with what should have been confidential information. So the only proper thing to do is remind him "Report to the training officer at start of watch Monday morning, and do not use your radio again until you are recertified to use it."

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
He thought his comms were encrypted when in fact they were not. That makes him a security risk, because he has been and will be broadcasting in the clear with what should have been confidential information. So the only proper thing to do is remind him "Report to the training officer at start of watch Monday morning, and do not use your radio again until you are recertified to use it."

You must work for an agency...

Status
Not open for further replies.