Peoria County Open Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

glub

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any info about Peoria county switching over to Open Sky next month??

kraziebill

Not yet

Well, it hasn't happened yet. A couple weeks ago the Peoria City Council approved DELAYING $90,000 for the purchase of police radios, so my guess is not anytime soon (at least for Peoria City)

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Droid Build/ESE81) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

By the way if they use P25 for voice modulation. Listeners in Iowa have been using control channel mode to see and follow tgs on a local system.

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
I highly doubt Peoria City/County will be switching to OpenSky within the next year or 2. By then, the technology may be outdated and they might have to do a re-bid. As of right now, the City and County both have no money available and are looking at several layoffs next year.

On top of that, Las Vegas Metro Police awarded M/A Com (now Harris) OpenSky a contract 2.5 years ago. They are just now in the process of the "final" testing phase. Well that final testing phase isn't going to well LOL. Numerous glitches, outages, horrible audio over several minutes of the day, clunky radios, dead spots and the list goes on. They have been in this "final" testing phase for about 2 months now and have made virtually no progress other than Vegas giving Harris the go ahead to install the rest of the radios/dispatch consoles since they have already put so much money into the contract. From some inside sources on the NV RR forum, they are doing 30 day test runs and if a major error pops up, then the timer will reset. Well that timer has reset twice now. They will stop simulcasting on VHF once they get thru a 90 day test run with no major errors. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Now that everything is installed for LVMPD, they are pretty much stuck with OpenSky. Now it's just a matter of how much over budget they go. Of course, the OpenSky bid was only for about $9 million compared to the $30 million Motorola P25 bid, so I guess they have a little over budget leeway for now. Unless they were smart enough to add a clause in the contract that states Harris pays for anything extra.

Jason

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
No, Peoria decided to go the cheap route just like Vegas and all these other places that are trying to get OpenSky to work. It will eventually work but not before years of frustration and millions over budget. We'll see if it ever is built though.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.