Peoria Police Prep1 & 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
I'm not sure the logic behind this but for those familiar with Peoria Police Prep1 dispatch. There is 2 dispatchers, 1 is called "Richwoods" the other is called "downtown". Well today and last evening I noticed that they've had only Richwoods on Prep1 and Downtowns Prep1 dispatch on Prep2. They then moved all the info inquires normally done on Prep 2 over to Prep 3. They stopped doing this about midnight last night and I just noticed it starting again today about 11am. I can't think of any logic behind this? It can't be console work because they can select up on prep 1 on all consoles. It can't be the prep2 dispatcher monitoring both because she is solely on Prep 3. Only thing I can think of is its a pilot program to see how well it works splitting the traffic up between 2 frequencies. Which is rather stupid in Peoria because its not that busy most of the time.

Jason

kraziebill

I'm thinking it's probably to do with training. I've noticed a new voice on the air the past few days, so maybe they decide to split them up while she gets up to speed. You're right it doesn't make much sense. I could see it now, a "downtown" is in a foot chase and a block away is a "richwoods" car with no idea.

kraziebill

At 3:10pm I heard them announce over Prep 1 that Prep 2 was clear for a detail. Since then, I've only heard POP and street crimes cars on Prep 2 doing traffic stops, but they're not in one specific area of town.

bessiedawg

I know the new Chief is interested in trying some different strategies so it may indeed be a trial run. I agree that Peoria isn't really big enough for two dispatch freqs, although things do get bottled up when they put the toner on for an emergency. I read some time ago that they were going to reconfigure the districts. Perhaps it has something to do with that ?

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
bessiedawg said:
I agree that Peoria isn't really big enough for two dispatch freqs, although things do get bottled up when they put the toner on for an emergency.

Actually with the size of Peoria I am surprised that they don't have two dispatch freqs. Peoria and Topeka are of similar size and the PD here routinely runs North and South dispatch talkgroups and an "teletype" (there is a holdover from the old days) talkgroup. When any major incident occurrs (stabbing, shooting etc) they immediately assigned a Tac talkgroup for their operations so the dispatch channels stay clear (the Tac groups are normally monitored by a dispatcher when there is an event). Both dispatch channels here are busy most of the time- I have a scanner assigned just to monitor the two PD talkgroups so they don't tie up my primary 800 radio.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.