Peoria Police Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessiedawg

Does anyone know if Peoria PD officers uses some type of voice activated shoulder microphones? I notice in monitoring them that the officers are very quick to answer calls from dispatchers. It is almost too quick to think that they are picking up a microphone from a cradle in the car, or even using a "push to talk" button on their handhleds. In addition, I notice that the mics are sometimes activated during foot chases when an officer is shouting commands to a suspect etc...

Just curious.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
They might it setup where it has a VOX button or a emegency button. They have new stuff come everyday seems like.

kraziebill

Most of the communicating is done using their handhelds attached to their waist. However there is a wired mic/speaker that is attached to the waist radio that sits up on their shoulders. They don't have any type of VOX, but every once in a while you'll get an officer that holds the PTT a bit too long during a foot chase.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
The last time I rode with Peoria PD (when I was a C.J. student at Bradley U) the Officers were doing all of their radio traffic via the shoulder mic attached to the portable radio.

The patrol cars at that time didn't even have UHF radios installed in them- just the ISPERN / IREACH VHF mutual aid radio and the MDT. This would be a real bummer if your portable radio battery went dead.

Last edited:

bessiedawg

Makes sense. I was visiting Peoria earlier in the week and heard a foot chase. The officer reported having the suspect locted. You could then hear her shouting commands at the suspect. I don't think she realized her mic was open as one of her commands was in very "direct" language. Howeer, it was probably the kind of term the suspect could understand.

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
Yes Peoria Officers have the shoulder mic attached to the waist handheld. Thats the only radio they have to contact on the main dispatch channel known as prep 1. They have 2 in car radios. One for prep 2 which is for information & when the air is cleared they come to this channel. It also has prep 3 which is car to car, city ISPERN and City Fire. They have an additional in car radio to monitor and talk on state ISPERN.

Jason

kraziebill

The handhelds have preps 1, 2 and 3. The car radios also have a prep 4, but it has no repeater, so you have to be pretty close for that one.

bessiedawg

Just a bt of trivia to see how old everybody here is. When I first started monitoring Peoria PD, they were on a single VHF freq. ( 158 mHz ) They were using the Adam, Boy, radio call signs like they are now. However, at that time they also used a very heavy 10-code language unlike their clear transmissions now. In addiiton, it was not a typical 10-code. It was very specific for Peoria PD. Some that I remember were,

10-1: Fire
10-5: Accident
10-10: Trouble (Still use that term in place of "distrubance" etc...)
10-13: Shoplifter
10-15: Juveniles
10-19: Headquarters ( They still use that one. )
10-27, 10-43: See the man/woman ( I can't remember which was which )

This was back in the days before "prep" and when they ran around in these funky black police cars with a narrow white stripe running down the side of it. Aw, those were the days. Anybody here remember back that far.

kraziebill

Yes, They also will use Prep 3 for "extended situations" such as standoffs, bridge jumper wannabes and missing person searches.

Status
Not open for further replies.