Pequannock Police DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phelanhome

Feed Provider
I would assume that the paging will still use the repeaters. I will know better by tomorrow.

Should have RAS same as PD. FD radios can talk on PD band if needed. I have no problem receiving RAS protected transmissions.

Phelanhome

Feed Provider
All is complete now. Analog for dispatch. Will still use the repeater on the North Jersey Tower for dispatch. Afterwards all talk will be on digital. If you have an analog radio you will throw it out the window when they are talking on digital. It makes a horrible sound.

If you are really interested in listening you can listen on my scanner using Proscan.

NParkNJ

On the Road
All is complete now. Analog for dispatch. Will still use the repeater on the North Jersey Tower for dispatch. Afterwards all talk will be on digital. If you have an analog radio you will throw it out the window when they are talking on digital. It makes a horrible sound.

If you are really interested in listening you can listen on my scanner using Proscan.

Ok thanks for the update. I have a 396xt. So what does that mean in terms of after the initial dispatch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Doesn’t dispatch transmit a PL on analog. If so, it shouldn’t even hear the digital “noise.”

K2NEC

Why in the world does FD need RAS?? It is just completely pointless and ruins the hobby for everyone that has a radio. So now I either have to listen to it online or by buying a $400 scanner. :(

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Why in the world does FD need RAS?? It is just completely pointless and ruins the hobby for everyone that has a radio. So now I either have to listen to it online or by buying a $400 scanner. :(

RAS keeps unauthorized people from using their system. Too many people buying radios capable of transmitting who have no clue what they're doing.

Last edited:

K2NEC

RAS keeps unauthorized people from using their system. Too many people buying radios capable of transmitting who have no clue what they're doing.

Neither the PD nor the FD have had issues with people on their system before. And if someone were to get onto the system they would first have to buy a $100 radio and know how to program DMR. Most jammers aren't willing to go that far and if they were the console could just disable their radio and they are done.

NParkNJ

On the Road
Pequannock PD

Neither the PD nor the FD have had issues with people on their system before. And if someone were to get onto the system they would first have to buy a $100 radio and know how to program DMR. Most jammers aren't willing to go that far and if they were the console could just disable their radio and they are done.

Isn’t that the point of radio id’s? Console sees a non/un-authorized id it shuts it down?

K2NEC

Isn’t that the point of radio id’s? Console sees a non/un-authorized id it shuts it down?

Yes and if the console sees a radio ID not on the system they can block it and the jammer is done for. I have nothing against public safety going DMR, I actually support it but RAS for something like the FD is like putting encryption on a small town police department.

NParkNJ

On the Road
Yes and if the console sees a radio ID not on the system they can block it and the jammer is done for. I have nothing against public safety going DMR, I actually support it but RAS for something like the FD is like putting encryption on a small town police department.

Agreed. If anything fire and ems should be 100% open.

Can’t tell you the amount of accidents/calls I’ve either avoided, or if close to my home heard and helped out at.

Pequannock had quite a few coverage issues on analog. I believe RocketNJ is correct on the location of the repeaters, because they always had big time portable issues in the southern portion of the town. Normally, they just switched over to T/A, but for response and talking to dispatch T/A just didn't cut it. Obviously, these issues could have been fixed with analog as well, but digital is the "thing" now, so that's where they went. The big question when it comes to the repeaters is, will FD actually benefit in range? PD seems to be pretty happy. And I sure hope they don't attempt to use DMR T/A for fireground ops!! That would be just as bad, if not worse than using normal DMR simplex on 453.075.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Agreed. If anything fire and ems should be 100% open

They are and still will be. All they are doing is keeping unauthorized radios from using their system. You'll still be able to listen using a scanner or an sdr.

The only people this will affect are people using Motorola radios to listen.

BTW, a console can only disable a radio that has Radio Disable enabled. Chances are most people using a Motorola radio to listen haven't enabled Radio Disable.

K2NEC

Actually they had quite a few issues. I believe RocketNJ is correct on the location of the repeaters because they always had big time portable issues in the southern portion of the town. Normally, they just switched over to T/A, but for response and talking to dispatch T/A just didn't cut it. Obviously, these issues could have been fixed with analog as well, but digital is the "thing" now, so that's where they went. The big question when it comes to the repeaters is, will FD actually benefit in range? PD seems to be pretty happy. And I sure hope they don't attempt to use DMR T/A for fireground ops!! That would be just as bad, if not worse than using normal DMR simplex on 453.075.

I mean they haven't had issues with jammers on their repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.