- Dec 19, 2002
- San Diego County, California
[If you hear any routes or local news stories doing the trip in Utah. Please post it for reference for the next 3 trips readers.]
The process will be repeated through December until a total of four radioactive steam generators from San Onofre are in nuclear waste facility in Clive, Utah for disposal.
Published: Saturday, July 30, 2011
Trailer to haul nuclear waste to Utah - Massive trailer making four trips from California
Perkins Specialized Transportation
466.2125 - DCS 311 (Main channel) - [Heard/Confirmed doing the Escondido-Riverside, California move]
464.3375 - DCS 245 - (AUX Channel?) [Heard/Confirmed doing the Escondido-Riverside, California move]
* The 399-foot transport truck carrying a 380 ton low-level radioactive steam generator from the San Onofre nuclear power plant to Utah
* A nuclear steam generator is slowly making its way across states on a top-secret route from San Onofre to Utah, where it will be disposed of.
* Haul a lightly contaminated 750,000-pound piece of the plant's old steam generator
* The generator piece is painted with a thick coat of blue to prevent pieces of steel from chipping or flaking off.
* Three semi-trucks will haul the carriage—one in front and two in the back—at 15 mph. The journey to the dump site in Utah is expected to take three weeks.
* Fortunately, with 192 tires and 48 axles, the Perkins trailer is up to the task.
* Officials say that the radiation levels are small enough that standing next to it for an hour would be less exposure than getting dental x-rays.
This 192-wheel supertrailer is hauling nuclear waste across California
See California & Nevada topic for more Trip locations & Notes & Links.
RR California Topic: http://forums.radioreference.com/california-radio-discussion-forum/217855-perkins-specialized-transportation-california-nevada-utah-radioactive-load.html
RR Nevada Topic: http://forums.radioreference.com/nevada-radio-discussion-forum/217896-perkins-specialized-transportation-low-level-nuclear-waste-shipped-through-nevada.html