Persistent signal on 162.000 MHz NFM

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon48

Isn't this supposed to be ship receive channel 28?

For at least a month in NYC, I've been picking this signal up 24/7 on 162.000 MHz NFM. I need help with terminology. What is it called when a frequency is in use without activity, as if a radio has the transmit button depressed all the time. Not a "birdie." I get this with three different radios.

fOSi6cn.jpg

Last edited:

dragon48

It sound to me like noise from something like what wtp listed.
Can you hear it at different locations?

Getting it all over my apartment. I'm not going outside in the rain to test right now. I'm off to sleep. I'll listen to the frequency outside and at work tomorrow and write back.

Ty 4 all the prompt replies.

a417

good luck ruling those out, that sounds like any one of a hundred things that make that constant carrier noise when plugged into the wall and turned on.

You'll need a directional antenna, otherwise you're only confirming that that local interference is there too. It may not even be in your apartment, it's probably some newfangled electronic device one of your neighbors has.

dragon48

good luck ruling those out, that sounds like any one of a hundred things that make that constant carrier noise when plugged into the wall and turned on.

You'll need a directional antenna, otherwise you're only confirming that that local interference is there too. It may not even be in your apartment, it's probably some newfangled electronic device one of your neighbors has.

You folks have really good ears! The problem was my cable box - Arris DCX3600-M. I noticed that the radio started making more noise as soon a I put it right next to the box. I unplugged the box and the carrier signal immediately went away. As soon as I plugged in, the radio produced static. It kept the static during some of the boot; then reverted to the original signal.

With the box unplugged, the radio occasionally sends out brief static chirps on the frequency, (my squelch is set at 1) but never produces that carrier sound. This is probably caused by neighbors who have the same equipment. My SDR software also showed a little activity on 162.000, but with much smaller peaks.

With all the electronic equipment that I have and the proximity to my neighbors, I'm thankful my equipment can decode any signals at all!

Good night.

a417

Something in my house nukes the VHF Guard frequency.

Last edited:

spongella

Premium Subscriber
There's a term called "open mic" which occurs when one has a transmitter (e.g. walkie talkie) that's inadvertantly stuck in the xmitting position.

k6cpo

There's a term called "open mic" which occurs when one has a transmitter (e.g. walkie talkie) that's inadvertantly stuck in the xmitting position.

My personal term for that is "dumb a**" because it usually occurs on Channel 16. It's usually some stupid boat owner that just throws his mic on the console, rather than hanging it on the hook.

My favorite has to be the person with the foreign accent that called the Coast Guard on 16 because their engine quit and they couldn't get it started again. The person said "we don't know how it works." The Coast Guard operator's response was "if you don't know how it works, how did you get to where you are now?"

Status
Not open for further replies.