Person calls in fake call over Warren County, NY radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmv3085

Premium Subscriber
From the Poststar.com

Fake emergency call
Warren County officials revealed today that someone broke into the county’s emergency radio network one night last week and falsely reported a rollover car crash.

The Warren County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident, during which someone called over the county rescue squad frequency to report a car crash. The person called over the radio system three times, but did not identify himself or say where the supposed emergency was.

It set off a frantic search around the county for a crash scene, said Brian LaFlure, Warren County’s director of emergency services. None was found, and now police are trying to figure out who was behind the hoax.

County officials have released tapes of the radio transmissions to local rescue squads and fire departments to try to identify the voice, LaFlure said.

There are a number of interesting issues here, which I’ll explore for a story in tomorrow’s paper.

— Don Lehman

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
I really hate scumbags like this!!

Police dont need to be wasting time on a bogus call,they have enough to worry about as it is!!

Last edited:

gralston73

Premium Subscriber
This kid is from Essex County to our north, in a town where Fire/EMS is dispatched by Warren County. According to the news story, the radio he used was obtained legally and programmed by an outside vendor. The story states he is not currently a member of any EMS agency...so I want to know why if he is transmitting on frequencies licensed to Warren County, why is he only being charged with falsely reporting an incident? Perhaps the FCC should get involved...

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Actually, the person who programmed the radio is also in violation of FCC rules, and should be slapped down hard.

§ 90.427 Precautions against unauthorized operation.

(b) Except for frequencies used in accordance with § 90.417, no person shall program into a transmitter frequencies for which the licensee using the transmitter is not authorized.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.