"Person Down" alarm on 156.625

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
I'm stumped! I was scanning the marine band and heard a male mechanical voice come up on 72A saying, "Emergency Emergency, Person Down, Person Down" over and over at 4 bars signal strength on a bcd396xt. No PL indicated.
I live in a residential urban area which is close to a fair amount of shipping traffic but have never heard this before.
Can anybody tell me what it was?

ecps92

Could be any of these, thanks to Mr Google for the information :cool:

I'm stumped! I was scanning the marine band and heard a male mechanical voice come up on 72A saying, "Emergency Emergency, Person Down, Person Down" over and over at 4 bars signal strength on a bcd396xt. No PL indicated.
I live in a residential urban area which is close to a fair amount of shipping traffic but have never heard this before.
Can anybody tell me what it was?

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Bill!
I guess it was a false alarm as none of the other emergency frequencies were active at the same time - or they self rescued the person.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
It sounds like a Remote Controlled Locomotive Chest pack...

When they are tilted a certain way they start a timer... if after several seconds they are not uprighted they broadcast "Emergency Emergency Emergency, Man Down, Man Down"

I'm wondering if a dock was using a remote controlled locomotive in a transloading operation of some sort.

Per most Rules, these are supposed to be tested on a certain radio channel... maybe the operator got the channel wrong.

Last edited:

ecps92

Yea, wrong channel. VHF Marine :roll:

I go for the Marine Version of the man-down/over board.

Guees we wait for them to charge up the batteries

It sounds like a Remote Controlled Locomotive Chest pack...

When they are tilted a certain way they start a timer... if after several seconds they are not uprighted they broadcast "Emergency Emergency Emergency, Man Down, Man Down"

I'm wondering if a dock was using a remote controlled locomotive in a transloading operation of some sort.

Per most Rules, these are supposed to be tested on a certain radio channel... maybe the operator got the channel wrong.

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
Hey Burner - Funny you should mention train stuff. I have also been hearing train comms on the marine band lately...
Anybody wanna suggest how that can happen? I'm wondering if it is "images". Or should I start to worry that my scanner is broken?

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Yea, wrong channel. VHF Marine :roll:

I go for the Marine Version of the man-down/over board.

Guees we wait for them to charge up the batteries

As I said... transloading operation... Loading product from railcars onto barges or something... They might use marine radio instead of rail if they work for the dock instead of an actual railroad.

D

DaveNF2G

Some frequencies are both rail and marine channels.

Maybe some dipstick decided to do a demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.