Peru Heard In Alaska!

DXerPaulAK

While I've heard the 1KW Radio Tarma on 4775 quite a few times, thats not what this post is about.. it's about my first ever Central/South American AM broadcast station log!

I'll be real honest.. I about s%^t myself when i finally figured out what I was hearing!

0727UTC Sat Aug 10 .. too ka quick break from SW, tuned over to AM.. I always start at the top of the dial and move left.

Hit 1500 and heard what I thought sounded like spanish where I should be hearing a Vietnamese station that smells like Eggo waffles.

Kept listening and over the span of about 20 minutes, heard copious Radio Santa Rosa mentions... transmitter is off frequency and humming, but pretty clear as day and good signal to boot!

18kw at 6640 miles! TEF6686, DX Engineering Preamp and 15 foot circumference Wellbrook loop!

KB2GOM

While I've heard the 1KW Radio Tarma on 4775 quite a few times, thats not what this post is about.. it's about my first ever Central/South American AM broadcast station log!

I'll be real honest.. I about s%^t myself when i finally figured out what I was hearing!

0727UTC Sat Aug 10 .. too ka quick break from SW, tuned over to AM.. I always start at the top of the dial and move left.

Hit 1500 and heard what I thought sounded like spanish where I should be hearing a Vietnamese station that smells like Eggo waffles.

Kept listening and over the span of about 20 minutes, heard copious Radio Santa Rosa mentions... transmitter is off frequency and humming, but pretty clear as day and good signal to boot!

18kw at 6640 miles! TEF6686, DX Engineering Preamp and 15 foot circumference Wellbrook loop!
Paul, nicely done!

What receiver? And please give us the particulars on the DX Engineering preamp and the 15-foot circumference Wellbrook loop.

Cheers, Jock

DXerPaulAK

Paul, nicely done!

What receiver? And please give us the particulars on the DX Engineering preamp and the 15-foot circumference Wellbrook loop.

Cheers, Jock

@KB2GOM
The TEF6686 radio, the version thats "desk top" if you will....youll find it on ali express. i think it has even better AGC then the other versions.

The preamp is this:

Its meant for fox hunting, as its designed to be mounted to the handle you hold the antenna you FH with.. and its meant for 9V... but will last 5 to 10 times as long with 6 AA batteries in a battery holder that as the 9V... clips/buttons/whatever you call it on it.

Also if one is handy, soldering in new wire is helpful.. the one that is attached to the DXE Preamp stock is plastic and gets brittle easy... i broke several wires that way. A Friend soldered on vinyl or something else, i forget.. and made it longer and its never broken again.

I can tell you i had a previous DXE preamp when i lvied in alaska the lastr time.. it sat under a snow pile at 40 below for 2 weeks, unused.. went outside to use it and it fired right up liek nothing.

the wellbrook loop is simply an ALA100LN set up, where i supplied my own coax.. its 15 feet of coax turned into a loop