Peterborough Police look at new radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammin_Jay

Peterborough Police looking at new radio system. City police hired consulting firms to undertake community consultations, study the radio infrastructure and complete an organizational review as a basis for the business plan.

Peterborough Police Cheif Rodd explains in an article in the Peteborough Examiner...

The current radio infrastructure was purchased in 1995 and its death is imminent, Rodd said.

"Our current system has reached the end of its life cycle.... We've actually nursed it beyond its lifespan," he said. "This is huge, major capital. It's not the bits and pieces. Our portable radios on the hips aren't part of this discussion.... It's the brain and heart of the system.... Picture large, big fridge-like components."

A new radio system would provide the ability to handle communications between all emergency services, including police, paramedics and firefighters, as well as services such as public transit, Peterborough Utilities and public works, Rodd said.

Here is a link to the article
Police chief seeks more resources - Peterborough Examiner - Ontario, CA

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
London's EDACS system went in at approx the same time, and is constantly praised for it's excellent coverage and reliability. I guess there is something to be said for maintenance and updates over the years.

Jammin_Jay

I think they are trying to get the whole city on one new system... pb police, pb fire, pb city works dept. This is just a consultation and study to see the cost, and which depts, may want to jump on board, to cover costs. Police chief is defintely initiating this, getting the ball rolling, shall we say.
He wants a new system for the police. But the other depts can either deal with the current edacs, or jump on the new system, IF and WHEN it is implemented, if it ever is with cost effectiveness as a key issue, as well as the ever so popular officer safety with communications.

Either they replace the whole system with a new radio system from a motorola or another vendor besides Haris (MA/com) who deals with EDACS, or continue with the same vendor, with a whole new replacement system.

$ 3.5 million is not a lot, but lets see where this shall go....

May the winning bid, be successful.

Last edited:

SuperTex

ems in peterborough is on fleetnet, so how is the chief going to bring thenm in on the same radio system

I can't see all of those services being on the same system for $3.5M... However I think what the Chief is talking about is interoperabilty with those other agencies... That's my take from the article. And it might be possible...

scnnr

I can't see all of those services being on the same system for $3.5M... However I think what the Chief is talking about is interoperabilty with those other agencies... That's my take from the article. And it might be possible...

Maybe that 3.5 million is the consultants fee. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.