PG County observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It seems that one -- or both - of the Bowie VFD frequencies in the database have been taken over by a school bus service. I can't look down at my 396 while trying to navigate the DC beltway (that would be very dangerous to my health...) but I hear it almost every morning around 6:30 -7. If someone could validate this, it could be fixed in the database. Have the VFDs been migrated to the new trunk?

In addition I wonder what - if anything - has happened with the 2 EDACS systems now that the 700 mhz system is up and running. If these systems are now silent, they too should be dropped in the database.

best regards..Mike

N1508J

Greetings Mike!

Can you point me to information regarding whether PG Fire/EMS is TOTALLY active on the new 700MHz system? I am receiving sporadic activity and wonder if I have a antenna/radio problem. The rig is the 996 and works ok on Charles Countys TRS.

TNX de N1508J

troymail

Silent Key
Greetings Mike!

Can you point me to information regarding whether PG Fire/EMS is TOTALLY active on the new 700MHz system? I am receiving sporadic activity and wonder if I have a antenna/radio problem. The rig is the 996 and works ok on Charles Countys TRS.

TNX de N1508J

Not totally - yet - as far as I know..... but very soon it seems.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And you won't be able to receive everything - when the talkgroup goes TDMA, everyone goes TDMA - and the 996 won't handle it. When the talkgroup is using plain old FDMA phase 1, you will be able to hear it.

I've noticed this with my 396, and know that someday down the road - when I get some money - a PSR800 is in the offing. That is currently the only radio that can copy this system (as long as they're not running something encrypted - and according to the wiki, there are a number of talkgroups that are - and they're not receivable by anything...)

best regards..Mike

N1508J

Many thanks

And you won't be able to receive everything - when the talkgroup goes TDMA, everyone goes TDMA - and the 996 won't handle it. When the talkgroup is using plain old FDMA phase 1, you will be able to hear it.

I've noticed this with my 396, and know that someday down the road - when I get some money - a PSR800 is in the offing. That is currently the only radio that can copy this system (as long as they're not running something encrypted - and according to the wiki, there are a number of talkgroups that are - and they're not receivable by anything...)

best regards..Mike

Understood! Noticed PGFD 8A1 in the clear this AM but figured it was FDMA.
Lets pray that Uniden has a trick up their sleeve for the 996 but I sure ain't counting on it!:lol:

Thanks for the information since I have had a few inquires from PGFD members that still have traffic on the 400MHz band.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The 490 mhz traffic should be winding down shortly, if the memo Al Henney had on Scan-DC is accurate. Last I heard, sometime in November the 490 mhz repeaters will be decomissioned - this is purely conjecture, but weren't they going to become part of a UHF trunk system for things like The Bus? - and everything for police/fire will be on the PG county trunk.

Incidentally I never did learn what will become of the PG county EDACS north/south systems. Perhaps these too will eventually be decomissioned, if they aren't already. Again that's pure speculation on my part and not due to any known hard facts.

best regards..Mike

chief34a

As of today, the official change over is November 7th. At that point the 490 system will be disconnected from the trunk system and then shut down later in the week. The trunked 490 for the bus, PW, etc is still on the radar but not known when it will become a reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.